Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #6757
Thor 37TB In-Motion Satellite cost

Hey guys newbie here that should be taking delivery of a new 37TB in about a week or so.

So I have been researching satellites and think I have it narrowed down to a in-motion Wineguard T4 (Just want the satellite while the wheels are turning. Wife's rule of no TV goes into effect once parked) on Direct TV services (Direct TV because all non-HD programing come from one satellite opposed to HD from one of three satellites thus limiting my viewing to one channel while on the road).

So I received a quote from a dealer recommended installer and with all the surge protectors, mirroring TVs, and equipment his price is just over $2600.00

To me this sounds high as I was told the install is minimal. Looking to see what others have spent in the past on install.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!!

Old 03-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Might mention than DirectV Ku signals are scheduled to disappear in 2019 as the DT-4 satellite runs out of station keeping fuel. All other DT satellites will transmit on the Ka and reverse band. In fact the new DT-15 satellite was just moved into position in the 103 galaxy. Using the Ka band of frequencies allows the satellites to be located as close as 2 degrees and still transmit on the same frequency as opposed to the 4 degree separation for Ku satellites. DirectV owns all the broadcast right for the entire Ka band in the USA so if you want in-motion satellite service Dish is you only long term solution.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I just gotta say - not sure how much use the in-motion satellite will get. If you're looking to entertain young folks, DVDs are a great answer. We purchased one of the Tailgaters version 2, mounted it on the roof, hooked it up to VIP211z (recently upgraded to a Wally) for about $600 installed. Friends of ours have Direct TV and quite honestly it doesn't come close to our Dish - way more options, way more HD.

Of course all of this is just my opinion. I would take the additional $2000 ($2600-$600) and buy other RV toys or gadgets.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiarman View Post
Hey guys newbie here that should be taking delivery of a new 37TB in about a week or so.

So I have been researching satellites and think I have it narrowed down to a in-motion Wineguard T4 (Just want the satellite while the wheels are turning. Wife's rule of no TV goes into effect once parked) on Direct TV services (Direct TV because all non-HD programing come from one satellite opposed to HD from one of three satellites thus limiting my viewing to one channel while on the road).

So I received a quote from a dealer recommended installer and with all the surge protectors, mirroring TVs, and equipment his price is just over $2600.00

To me this sounds high as I was told the install is minimal. Looking to see what others have spent in the past on install.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!!

Cost should be slightly under $2000 with 2 dvr's. having one put in my 2018 challenger 37yt
Old 03-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #5

Model: 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #6757
Thanks for all the advice you guys have provided. I though I had a good plan but seems after talking to the SO and all the great advice on here I will be reevaluating what direction we take.

I think DVD's will work for now and the tailgater for future use could possibly work.

Thanks again and see y'all on the road!!!