Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2023, 03:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Florida
THOR #29859
Starlink Install

I would appreciate ideas on how to stow and route the Antenna to Router cable that people have used? Issues I am pondering:
  1. How to route into the interior such that the WIFI router is in a good position for good coverage inside. (Question is really where have people penetrated into the interior)
  2. What you have done to stow the External end of the cable to protect it from weather when driving. (I will disconnet the Antenna each time we leave)
  3. Anyone know what the brand is of the Black "Great Stuff" foam Thor uses to fill penetrations?
  4. I am mounting the Antenna on a telescoping pole attached to my rear ladder. I'd like the router in the Master bedroom or in a front locker.
Thanks!

Old 08-27-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...ide-35033.html

Pond and Landscape Foam
: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-091...09KNWKCTT?th=1

Waterproof PCB Signal Panel Cat5/5e/6 8P8C Connector Ethernet LAN Cable Connector

https://www.amazon.com/Interface-Wat...dp/B08FF3D51H/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:34 PM   #3

THOR #29859
Update on the mounting of the star link

So I found the telescoping mount by EEZ rv products https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLM673LH...roduct_details It was easy to clamp to the Ladder. I am impressed with the machining tolerances. While you might leave the Pole in place I don't plan on it. I did find the 2 wing bolt clamp in the base (rather than 3) to be odd with regard to centering so I drilled an alternate drain hole in the base mount and bolted in a centering pin that nicely fits through the hole in the bottom of the pole (see photo) While I show the pole fully extended you really only need to get it above the roof if nothing else is around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Centering Pin-sm.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	43379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telescoping Mount-sm.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	43380  

Trailer Toad 2017 Corvette Z06
Alt Trailer Toad 2018 Diesel Chevy Equinox
Dry Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We usually mont antenna with flagpole buddy. The router either sit it on the propane tank or DEF compartment if the pedestal has a 20 amp receptacle. If not I sit it behind the outdoor tv and plug it in there. We have also run the cable through the driver window and use foam to seal it off and have the router plugged inside. All provide great coverage.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:56 PM   #5

THOR #29859
I found an extra 2" hole under the Master bed near the Fresh water tank drain that was only covered by the Vinyl Floor skin. I drilled a 1" hole, used a foam grommet and ran the cable through there so the router can be inside. I stow the Antenna side of the cable coiled and tied to the Propane tank mounting frame.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:58 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Texas
THOR #26120
I have the Flagpole Buddy on the ladder and the official Starlink Pole mount so my dish is on the rear of my rig.

I used to run the wire through the living room slide seal and that worked, but it was a pain to string the wire around to the back every time I moved, and there have been several cases (severe storms) where I needed to bring the slide in to protect the topper and the cable prevents that.

I was looking into drilling through my fiberglass rear cap to install a permanent grommet or ethernet cable, but one day I was checking my water pump in the compartment beneath my bed and noticed daylight coming through a passthrough where there were a bunch of cables running from outside to in. The techs at the manufacturing plant failed to fill the entire space between the wires with foam, so I was able to run the Starlink cable out the bottom of the compartment without drilling.

With such a long cable, I needed to coil the extra wire somewhere. I thought about mounting some kind of bag or container on the chassis, but I'm getting old and getting underneath the rig is becoming a pain, so I opted to jury rig an ethernet connector under my back bumper. That did involve cutting the wire and attaching CAT5 ethernet connectors but it's not too difficult to do.

So I picked up a pair of these weatherproof ethernet couplers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I zip tied the cable from inside back to the rear bumper and terminated it with the CAT5 at the proper length so it ended up right next to my 7-pin trailer plug where I could secure it with a velcro strap. It has just enough slack so I can pull it out, connect the other end leading to the antenna, and then stuff it up into the rear bumper with a drip loop hanging down.

I keep the rest of the length of cable on a small cable winder and have the cable marked so I can see exactly how much cable to play out to reach the dish at the top of the pole. If I'm blocked by trees, I can play out more to put the dish on the ground or table.

Setup and breakdown is very easy. When I'm parked, I take the dish, pole and antenna-side cable out of storage. I play out the correct length of cable, connect the custom Starlink connector to the dish, mount it to the pole, and put it on the Flagpole Buddy mount. I take the free end with the ethernet coupler and run it down to the other end mounted by the trailer hitch. I then set the cable spool on the ladder and lash down the cable and pole with velcro ties to keep it more stable and cut down on rattling by the wind.

To break it down for travel, it's the reverse. To protect the open end of the connector, I use the second connector (it comes with two complete couplers) as an end-cap when on the road.

Been using it for about nine months this way and really like it. I'll add pics of the setup later.

TLDR: ran the cable through a hole in the floor left from manufacturing, ended up cutting the cable and adding ethernet connectors for ease of setup.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #7

THOR #29859
Good solution ElectricZ,

I have a coil in the Propane Tank Area in the Starboard Rear most void to connect to the Antenna. The rest of the Coil is under the bed in the rear and I just run it out from there and leave the router on the floor against the rear wall. In a previous post I noted that I found a convenient place to penetrate the floor under the bed near where a bunch of other wires are penetrating.

I actually have the official Starlink pole mount too as I was heading down your route and then saw the telescoping mount that collapsed to a more compact storage option. If anyone is interested in the pole starlink pole mount I'll sell it for half price plus shipping...

Thanks all for the input!