Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2023, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24F
State: Texas
THOR #30559
Question Chateau 24f Swapped out stereo, now 12v power is dead, breaker location?

2018 Chateau 24f - I swapped out the Axxera AVM70 for a Dual Electronics XDCPA11BT. Perfect fit, followed the instructions and disconnected the negative terminal on the chassis battery (admittedly, I now realize that was pointless as instructions were for a regular car). Lesson learned.

After installing, stereo won't power on - nor will any of the other 12v systems including the stabilizer jacks, lights, etc. I'm plugged into shore power but without the 12v system, I'm stuck with no power jacks and no rear camera.

Suspect I tripped something when installing but I can't figure out WHAT. The batteries are full according to the indicator lights on the panel. Not sure if shore power is keeping batteries topped off, as this just happened yesterday evening.

There is no battery disconnect switch anywhere - I've driven myself crazy looking for one.

What am I missing? I can't find any wiring schematic for my model and the manual I have is useless. Trying to avoid calling a mobile tech because I'm sure it's something staggeringly simple.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:40 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Have you checked the circuit breakers near your house batteries?

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:41 PM   #3

THOR #30559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Have you checked the circuit breakers near your house batteries?
The only breakers I can find are back under the bed and none are tripped. I also reset them all and nothing changed.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:58 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Since all 12v I dropped it sure sounds like you lost a fuse. Look for a fuse panel under the dash or sometimes they will be under the hood.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowbockbuzz View Post
The only breakers I can find are back under the bed and none are tripped. I also reset them all and nothing changed.
Not those breakers, those are for AC loads. You need to look around and under the house batteries as well as under the hood for DC breakers that look like this:

They may be a different color.
They may be 50 or 70 amp.

If the flag is out it is tripped. Push the flag back in to reset it.

If you are on SP and you have no lights in the RV then you may have fried the converter or blown the reverse polarity fuses in the Power Center.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:58 PM   #6

THOR #30559
Sorry - should have clarified that the lights don't work when I unplug from shore power to test that. Totally fine on SP.

No breakers under house batteries - the are in stairs and there's nothing else in there. I'll check under the hood again but I have only seen the chassis fuses.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:05 PM   #7

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Quote:
Sorry - should have clarified that the lights don't work when I unplug from shore power to test that. Totally fine on SP.

No breakers under house batteries - the are in stairs and there's nothing else in there. I'll check under the hood again but I have only seen the chassis fuses.
Check the Chassis fues
Old 08-29-2023, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

So basically, you have no power from your batteries. Does the operation of the USE/STORE/Master Power switch produce a clunk from the latching relay? There IS a breaker near the house batteries that supplies the house DC buss through the battery disconnect latching relay. It is usually very hard to find in the battery area.

BUT, in some Class C MHs the breaker looks like a small thermal overload and located inside near the Power Center.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:58 PM   #9

Model: Mandalay 40E
State: Ohio
THOR #26962
Uh…did you reconnect that negative cable you removed?
Old 08-29-2023, 11:20 PM   #10

THOR #30559
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
Uh…did you reconnect that negative cable you removed?
I did

Also, the head unit runs off the house batteries and not the chassis battery so I likely tripped a breaker anyway while swapping those out. Just need someone to tell me where the infernal breaker is because I’m going slowly mad.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:31 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I did

Also, the head unit runs off the house batteries and not the chassis battery so I likely tripped a breaker anyway while swapping those out. Just need someone to tell me where the infernal breaker is because I’m going slowly mad.
I edited your thread title so maybe someone with the same model can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:28 AM   #12

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Under the bed there are 2 gray DC breakers. Off of one there is a fuse holder with the fuse that powers the radio. Either one of the gray breakers is open or the fuse is blown. That’s how my ‘17 FW24F is wired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3500.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	43345
Old 08-30-2023, 01:19 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
Under the bed there are 2 gray DC breakers. Off of one there is a fuse holder with the fuse that powers the radio. Either one of the gray breakers is open or the fuse is blown. That’s how my ‘17 FW24F is wired.

Attachment 43345
While he may indeed have blown that fuse to the radio, his biggest problem is no DC from the batteries. PERIOD.

He has been unable to locate the supply breaker from the house batteries to the DC buss.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:10 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
One day, I will have to make list of the Top 10 things that every RV Owner should at least know where it is or located. I think I am guilty of reading about several things like this but have not yet eyeballed if I ever really needed to. I can relate with OP about going mad, as it would be nerving for me too.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:04 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
This requires getting down and crawling/looking under your motorhome... just left of the entry door, look underneath on the frame rail. The positive battery cable runs from the battery to the breaker (pictured above) screwed to the side of the frame rail. It probably tripped when you reconnected the battery.

If the radio still doesn't work, open the hood and look behind the coolant reservoir mounted on the driver side firewall. There will be an inline fuse (7 amp??) hidden behind there.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #16

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Chateau 24f Swapped out stereo, now 12v power is dead, breaker location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
While he may indeed have blown that fuse to the radio, his biggest problem is no DC from the batteries. PERIOD.

He has been unable to locate the supply breaker from the house batteries to the DC buss.

Sorry - I missed that about no DC. There is a gray breaker in the stair compartment. Open the battery hatch and look on the inside of the outside wall for this - there will be a black button on the side of the breaker that needs to be pressed. The breaker is hard to find - mine is hidden under an L-bracket that runs the length of the battery compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	43347
Old 09-06-2023, 07:01 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
Sorry - I missed that about no DC. There is a gray breaker in the stair compartment. Open the battery hatch and look on the inside of the outside wall for this - there will be a black button on the side of the breaker that needs to be pressed. The breaker is hard to find - mine is hidden under an L-bracket that runs the length of the battery compartment.

Attachment 43347
I am susre JimOIB is correct. I have a Four Winds 22E (in storage otherwise I would take a photo of the breaker). Anyway my Thor electrical diagrams state that there is a 70A breaker located within 18" of the battery which goes to the converter (where the remaining DC fuses are located under the bed). So just put your hand on the red cable coming off the house batteries and follow it until you find the breaker. It should be between the battery and the house battery switch. Might be next to the battery switch behind some paneling.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:59 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #19735
Fourwinds 24F

in the Thor Knowledge Center they have document that might help. Like:
https://thor.mizecx.com/knowledgeDoc...009a95e570a0f1

Tags
12v dc, batteries