Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Thor Ace 30.1 Generator Door Vent

Just installed a generator door vent.
Came with inside shroud to make sure air is drawn in from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	3014  

Old 09-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Looks great, but I'm curious as to why you made this modification. The entire generator compartment is open on the bottom and it wouldn't get any more air.
Just curious.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 AM   #3

THOR #3952
When you pull intake air from the bottom, you are bringing hot air from the exhaust and engine into the generator. This way it brings fresh air from outside which is a lot cooler. There have been several posts on generators overheating and this is one of the options for stopping it. This vent is made specifically for the Onan 4000. It has a plastic horn between the door and generator to keep hot air from being drawn in from under the rv. Works great.
It is not just a vent cut into the door.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:09 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
When you pull intake air from the bottom, you are bringing hot air from the exhaust and engine into the generator. This way it brings fresh air from outside which is a lot cooler. There have been several posts on generators overheating and this is one of the options for stopping it. This vent is made specifically for the Onan 4000. It has a plastic horn between the door and generator to keep hot air from being drawn in from under the rv. Works great.
It is not just a vent cut into the door.
I understand the concept but my coach's exhaust is on the opposite side of the generator and the generators exhaust is behind the unit. Maybe my application does not warrant a air intake mod.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:46 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
We experienced problems with our generator this summer when we hit really hot weather. Genny cut out until we were able to stop & open the door, giving it a better opportunity to draw cooler air in.

We'd like to do something with our rig. Where'd you get the vent? And how hard was it to install?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin
I understand the concept but my coach's exhaust is on the opposite side of the generator and the generators exhaust is behind the unit. Maybe my application does not warrant a air intake mod.
Axis/Vegas units have the generator way in the back. This mod isn't needed.

Certain ACE units have the generator in front right next to the engine.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I saw another post about that same vent recently, not sure if it was here or another forum. Think it was here. Anyway, they said they bought it from Forest River. Is it an Onan part or something that Forest River sources?

I can attest that just a vent through the door, without the duct/boot, doesn't do a lot of good. I found a nice looking louver at West Marine. Think I made a post about here back in the summer. The upshot with mine is the louver looks good and was cheap. It's square and a bit smaller than that Forest River one, but I feel like it's big enough. It just doesn't pull a lot of air through it since it's getting almost all it needs from around and under.

I plan on jurry-rigging something using a door sweep weather strip at some point, to simulate that duct that comes with that purpose made vent.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Is yours an Onan 4000?
We experienced the 36 code back in August where the temps were in the mid 90's. The generator shut down while I was parked in a shopping center. If you do a search for generator shut down or code 36, there are lots of post on the issue. Only happens when the temps get in the mid 90's and above.
Some other mods people had done were the dealer installed a shroud around the generator between the exhaust pipes, installed a pusher fuel pump at the gas tank to make sure the gas wasn't vapor locking and insulating the gas lines from the tank to the generator. We hope to be heading out west at some point and trying to make sure everything works while on the road.
Talking to Thor, they don't admit there is a problem but apparently Forest River does as I had to order the vent from a Forest a River dealer.
Thor recently started putting the generators in the back of the rv to fix this problem which puts it closer to the bedroom. This should tell you, there is a problem from the factory. Some people under warranty had theirs moved to the rear under warranty.

Attached pic of the part numbers from Forest River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	3026  
Old 09-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

THOR #3952
Here's some good reading on the issue.
Generator Mods - Forest River Forums

Now when I start my generator you can really feel the air being pulled in with force from the vent and not from under the rv where actually the circulating air from the generator is.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Ok, the light is on now and I see why you did the vent install. My 5000 Onan is a different configuration. Good job, and thank you for the education!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #11

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Axis/Vegas units have the generator way in the back. This mod isn't needed.

Certain ACE units have the generator in front right next to the engine.
I have a 2015 Ace 30.2 and the generator is on the back drivers side. Don't know if that's new for the year or not. Haven't had a proplem yet running it while driving.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Just installed a generator door vent.
Came with inside shroud to make sure air is drawn in from outside.
Where did you get this vent with the shroud?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:17 PM   #13

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid to the Law View Post
Where did you get this vent with the shroud?
Had to get my Thor dealer order through Forest River. I believe he looked it up under FR3 parts. Thor would not acknowledge it was an issue. FR3 comes with the vent from factory
Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #14

Model: ACE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16950
I read somewhere it is NOT good to run with door open... not sure why... doesn't make sense. So hopefully this does not cause any issue.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Somewhere on this forum, or possibly on the IRV2 forums there was quite a bit of discussion where ACE 30.1 owners were having problems with the generator overheating and shutting down while it was running while the coach was in motion. The problem applied to 2015 and older ACE 30.1's where the generator was in the forward compartment.

In 2016 and later ACE 30.1's (and its successor 30.3) the generator was moved back a compartment (most forward compartment is now batteries) to address the overheating issue by getting the generator further from the engine. We don't run the generator while traveling (or haven't yet as we haven't traveled through extremely hot areas) so I have no idea if the relocation was effective.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:28 AM   #16

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilet69 View Post
I read somewhere it is NOT good to run with door open... not sure why... doesn't make sense. So hopefully this does not cause any issue.
I think what you prob read was referring to the generator's "door"...the hatch made by onan. ..The reason, there are two different and divided plenums behind. The left one (on mine) is the intake side. It's pulling in the induction air, but also a huge volume of cooling air. Exhaust is through the other side and down. Removing that hatch allows for the air to short circuit.

The door made by thor forces the intake air to come through the short little space between it and the genny...so most of the air comes from below...and there are several negatives from pulling that air in.... and it's not all from the chassis engine
it's close to the hot pavement.
it's where the hot air from the genny goes
and it's close to the big V-10 too.

The other thing about wanting cool cooling air, besides the obvious.... is that the fuel pump and filter are in that plenum. The heat leads to vapor lock.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

Model: Ace 30.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15939
I had this problem this summer with my 2013 Ace 30.1. Great advice. I'll check into getting the vent for mine.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #18

State: Mississippi
THOR #17360
Can you tell me where to buy a generator vent cover and shroud, and any other info I need to install it?
Thanks, Pat Oakes
Old 11-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #19

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbpao@aol.com View Post
Can you tell me where to buy a generator vent cover and shroud, and any other info I need to install it?
Thanks, Pat Oakes
I had to get my Thor dealer to order through Forest River. I forget the part number but Forest River has them. They put them on the FR3 I know for sure. Easy install.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #20

THOR #908
I made mine using a simple plastic louver bought at West Marine, and made the baffle using some aluminum angle stock from the hardware store and silcone rubber engine cowling baffle seal I bought form an aviation vendor at sun-n-fun. I imagine you could get some sort of gasket material at an auto parts store that would work just as well.
I actually came up with it before that Forest River "store bought" option was well known....their solution is certainly easier, but I'd like to think mine looks better, on the outside anyway.