Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Who says Thor isn't nice?

Our Windsport doesn't have a wall mounted console on the passengers side. My wife is a little vertically challenged and it's a stretch to the floor console drink holder for her when seated. I called the parts Dept at my dealer and asked about ordering the necessary parts, parts guy asked if I would call Thor and get the part numbers and then he would order for me.

I called Thor and spoke to a very nice lady, I explained what I wanted and why. The lady was very helpful and super nice, I got all the parts yesterday (4) at no cost!!! I've called Thor in the past and have always gotten good response and help! Who says Thor isn't nice?

Old 11-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Really good service, especially when you consider they didn't have to do that!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Thumbs down

The few times I have had to call THOR, they have been quick, responsive, and helpful. We just wont discuss their response to email requests, but now I just use the phone...
Old 11-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
While I may sometimes criticize the Thor coach for lack of quality control, I have always had a good experience when talking to the factory.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
Agreed about THOR being responsive to Customer calls and service. Also agreed that I am critical about the general disregard for Quality in the product build and choice of materials.

Bottom line still is that if Quality of build and materials matched the Quality of the people, THOR would be miles ahead.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

THOR #5196
I agree on the quality issue, like you said if quality control matched the quality people Thor would have a waiting line for people wanting to buy their products. Our Windsport is our second coach from Thor, we've been lucky with both coaches and haven't had any major problems. I will say that IMHO Thor has some of the best and most usable floor plans on the market. For two people our Windsport had a great layout, king bed, and lots of storage, very happy with our choice!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #7

Brand: DRV
State: Georgia
THOR #5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I called the parts Dept at my dealer and asked about ordering the necessary parts, parts guy asked if I would call Thor and get the part numbers and then he would order for me.
That's good to hear and encouraging, but why in the world would a parts department ask you the customer to do their work??? Wow! I think I would have been speechless at that point.

Worked out for you and not so good for the parts department!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb1993 View Post
That's good to hear and encouraging, but why in the world would a parts department ask you the customer to do their work??? Wow! I think I would have been speechless at that point.

Worked out for you and not so good for the parts department!
Since this was a mod and not warranty work the dealer would have charged for parts, shipping and labor and their time on the phone with Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

THOR #4919
The point was that the dealership had passed the buck to the customer to get the part numbers. A good dealership would have done the leg work for the customer and even suggest a call to Thor, to see if they would be willing to help.

It appears that the dealership service department would have been more than willing to do the work for the right price.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
In fairness to dealer, in this case they "may" have known (perhaps through previous experience) that the owner would likely have better results getting parts quickly and free.

End results is what matters most. Owner is happy -- can't get much better than that.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #11

THOR #4919
Agree, that they probably knew.

Better ways of handling this would likely have been to be upfront and tell the Customer to call Thor Customer Service. Potentially, this would have earned both the Dealership and Thor some Customer Loyalty.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #12

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
What I have discovered is that I call the factory parts and get the part number. Then I call my dealer and have them order the part and drop ship to my house. It does seem a little convoluted.

A better experience would be for Thor to supply a website that you enter your VIN. It then displays a picture of your rig and you "touch" down to the specific part that you need. It would save everyone a lot of time.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #13

THOR #5196
To be fair to my dealer, the parts guy did say he could look up the parts but the way their system is it would take guite a while, also said they sometimes change numbers. Nice guy, sure he was just trying to get me what I needed quicker. Turns out I not only got it guicker, I got it no cost!

Just finished installing the console. There were no aluminum supports in the wall where I was mounting, drilled a few extra holes in the mounting bracket and used a little construction adhesive. Everything feels solid, don't think it will fall off. I still hate the worthless cup holders Thor uses, don't hold anything!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
What I have discovered is that I call the factory parts and get the part number. Then I call my dealer and have them order the part and drop ship to my house. It does seem a little convoluted.

A better experience would be for Thor to supply a website that you enter your VIN. It then displays a picture of your rig and you "touch" down to the specific part that you need. It would save everyone a lot of time.
The way I understand it Thor is not licensed to sell parts to consumers. The can provide them at no cost under warranty but they cannot sell them.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #15
RTG

State: Massachusetts
THOR #760
Any pictures of this ? would love to see
Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #16

THOR #5196
I took a couple of pictures but haven't figured out how to post from my iPad, must not be compatible or something???
Old 11-07-2016, 04:09 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #5344
Same issue in my windsport, thought is was strange they didnt put a console for the passenger too. Any chance on getting those part numbers?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #18

THOR #5196
The lady at Thor never gave me the numbers, just sent me the parts. As I said there is no structural support in the wall. The front edge of the console is curved to fit up against and partially under the dash, our dash is different and it won't butt completely up against the dash. Sorry I can't provide the numbers. I told the lady I wanted the parts for a Miramar passenger console, got a bracket, cup holder, console cover, and tray, 4 parts in total.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #19

THOR #4919
If that was the Service Center, then the lady may have been Kim O'Brien, although there is one other lady in that office.

Kim is the Service Writer and the Appointment Coordinator.

She was very helpful, and cooperative, when we were dealing with her.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #20

THOR #5196
I looked and I still had the stickers from the parts in my garage trash can!

Outer plastic console - 0126846
Plastic console pocket - 0106840
Cup holder - 0244982
Wall bracket - 0106785

I drilled three extra holes in the mounting bracket, used #8 5/8" stainless screws and three blobs of construction adhesive to hold bracket on the wall, mounted about 1/2" above doggie window.

The three holes for the cup holder don't match, marked and drilled two more holes, used #8 5/8" self tapping panhead screws.

I put a bead of clear silicone everywhere on the bracket to affix the plastic console, don't know how the factory does it but it works for me. I put four big blobs of clear silicone on underside of tray to hold it in place, again, don't know how the factory does it but it works for me.

Mounted the cup holder, snapped on plastic trim ring.

Done!

The part number for the plastic console is for a tan color, my drivers console is more a beige color. I didn't think to ask about color when I called but the tan looks ok. Later if I decide it bothers me I can always paint it.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who wants to do this, don't know why Thor doesn't add this at the factory.