Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15558
Thor Fourwinds House Battery Replacement

Need to replace house battery. The old one is a FLA type and like to go with the AGM. Any recommendation or suggestions would be great. The battery housing is under the entry steps and height problem for the correct size. There is room for two batteries should I get two or just stick with the one? Suggestions on this. tks.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
1) go with two batteries
2) it’s your choice for FLA or AGM.
Personally...I’m happy with my two deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries, $75-85 each at Costco or SAMs Club. Replace when needed at minimal cost.
Many on this Forum are very enthusiastic about AGM at over twice the cost.
Different strokes for different folks

One more thing...6 volts vs 12 volt batteries. If you go with two house batteries, another option you have is going with 6 volt batteries wired in Series
Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #3

THOR #15558
Excellent point on the cost. Will check on both the FLA and AGM. Can you cable two 12 v or does it have to be 6 if you hook them up in series. Any other specs I need to consider when selecting either FLA or AGM (voltate 6 or 12) tks again. My son works at autozone and has a discount. Might go there to purchase. Nothing special with the battery just a 12 or 6 car battery will do right. Sorry novice with batteries. tks again
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by frschof View Post
Excellent point on the cost. Will check on both the FLA and AGM. Can you cable two 12 v or does it have to be 6 if you hook them up in series. Any other specs I need to consider when selecting either FLA or AGM (voltate 6 or 12) tks again. My son works at autozone and has a discount. Might go there to purchase. Nothing special with the battery just a 12 or 6 car battery will do right. Sorry novice with batteries. tks again
Goodness gracious, we need to back up a bit. Short answer is NO, you can't just use any battery. Well you can, but the wrong type of battery won't perform correctly and won't last very long either.

If you go with FLA, it (they) need to be Deep Cycle batteries. Deep Cycle batteries are designed to be regularly deeply discharged using most of its capacity. A "starting battery" is designed to give the engine a lot of AMPs immediately, which is needed to start your engine.

Let me ask, what in the coach will be running on these battery's? Do you have an inverter too?
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:23 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I just replaced my house and chassis batteries. I went with flooded golf cart batteries (6v) and a sealed flooded chassis battery. I was out the door for $360 for all three batteries. You can convert from 12v to 6v but obviously you’ll need 2(or 4) of them. Golf cart batteries tend to be taller (and heavier!) than 12V so measure carefully. And if you do convert you’ll need a minor but essential rewiring. A better question is what do you use your coach for? If you do a lot of dry/boondocks camping a pair of golf cart batteries will serve you very well. If you mainly stay in parks with shore power a single 12V deep cycle might be all you need. Have you been running down your old batteries (before they got old)? AGM batteries don’t self discharge quite as quickly as flooded but you can’t ignore them either. If you are able to plug I once in a while when in storage maybe there isn’t so much advantage to AGM. And you don’t have to add water but they cost about twice as much. Personally I’m good with just replacing my flooded batteries every 3 or 4 years.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
You camping style and electrical needs are the driving factor to determine what type of battery to use. Without knowing either no one can make a reasonable recommendation.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 AM   #7

THOR #15558
I have a Progressive Dynamics - 12 Volt 60 Amp RV Converter / Battery Charger. I use the RV once a month mainly short trips weekends. Not 100 percent sure but the bathroom fan, lights, radio and Fridge if selected. Mostly I have the fridge on Propane.

I currently have a FLA battery installed but she is dead. THe FLA sounds like a good option I just need to maintain properly.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Battery discussions are always difficult because there are so many variables to deal with. But the "simple rules" dictate:

• buy deep cycle batteries,
  • get the most AMP's possible
  • for the least amount of money spent

I like AGM batteries and I use them here on my home back up system. But the batteries here at home don't get the same workout that my RV will get and the opportunity for abuse on the RV batteries is greater. FLA's cost about 1/2 what the AGM's cost, so for those reasons, I use the FLA's in my RV.

My opinion is as follows, others may/may not agree.

Shop around, find the best deal and then buy deep cycle batteries with the largest amount of AMP storage possible. (As an example, I paid about $1.30 per amp on my setup.) If you can put two of them in parallel configuration, then all the better. Two batteries in parallel configuration will give you twice the amps to draw from.

Given you have limited space and can only fit two batteries, I'd use 2-12 volt batteries in parallel configuration. If you had space for 4 batteries, I would say use 4-6 volt batteries wired as follows. 2-6 volt batteries wired in series = 12 volts. Then wire those "pairs" in parallel and you still have a 12 volt system, but with twice the amp storage.

As I said previously, this is my opinion only.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #9

THOR #13362
Well said!
Thank you for the detailed analysis
Old 06-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also, if you store your coach without shore power for more than a few weeks at a time you might want to consider putting a total disconnect switch on your batteries. If you use just the store/use switch there is still some parasitic drain happening that will run you down more quickly. They only cost about $10 and are easy to install - especially if you’re replacing the batteries anywhere.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What size battery are we talking about?
24?
27?
maybe even a 31?

Definitely get deep-cycle batteries(and AGMs: if you can afford them!)
Good luck, and Happy Shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

THOR #15558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Battery discussions are always difficult because there are so many variables to deal with. But the "simple rules" dictate:

• buy deep cycle batteries,
  • get the most AMP's possible
  • for the least amount of money spent

I like AGM batteries and I use them here on my home back up system. But the batteries here at home don't get the same workout that my RV will get and the opportunity for abuse on the RV batteries is greater. FLA's cost about 1/2 what the AGM's cost, so for those reasons, I use the FLA's in my RV.

My opinion is as follows, others may/may not agree.

Shop around, find the best deal and then buy deep cycle batteries with the largest amount of AMP storage possible. (As an example, I paid about $1.30 per amp on my setup.) If you can put two of them in parallel configuration, then all the better. Two batteries in parallel configuration will give you twice the amps to draw from.

Given you have limited space and can only fit two batteries, I'd use 2-12 volt batteries in parallel configuration. If you had space for 4 batteries, I would say use 4-6 volt batteries wired as follows. 2-6 volt batteries wired in series = 12 volts. Then wire those "pairs" in parallel and you still have a 12 volt system, but with twice the amp storage.

As I said previously, this is my opinion only.

Thank you very much. For example. autozone has this batter see link. It is listed as reserve capacity of 188 spec is this what you mean when you say AMP Storage?

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...nal/832115_0_0
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #13

THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by frschof View Post
I have a Progressive Dynamics - 12 Volt 60 Amp RV Converter / Battery Charger. I use the RV once a month mainly short trips weekends. Not 100 percent sure but the bathroom fan, lights, radio and Fridge if selected. Mostly I have the fridge on Propane.

I currently have a FLA battery installed but she is dead. THe FLA sounds like a good option I just need to maintain properly.
The Progressive converter will suit your needs well. Being a multistage charger will help with keeping the batteries happy.

Besides those items listed included in the list the furnace, thermostat, water heater and water pump. Your fridge, even when burning propane, still needs 12VDC for the controller to turn the burner on and off. Same for the water heater. And even though the roof A/C runs off of 120VAC powered the thermostat that tells it the coach is hot needs DC power to make that happen. If you have slides or jacks those will also be DC powered.

With no mention of off grid, primitive or boondocking I'm going to guess full service or at least a power and water campsite is your primary go to place. Not a problem your in the majority. Considering such along with a propane fridge and no inverter your DC needs while unplugged are rather light. Basically you need to keep the fridge going during a stop in route such are grocery shopping or may be some sightseeing. Maybe a few hours for a brief rest stop or when you loading or unloading the rig.

When you boil it down to the hard numbers an inexpensive 12VDC marine/RV deep cycle will do what you need and if treated right should see you thru four plus camp seasons. Considering the location, under the entry steps, I would get a maintenance free battery. It will just make life a lot easier not having to worry about any spilled or leaking acid considering the location.

What to get? I'd go with Sam's Club Duracell Marine & RV Deep Cycle group size 27. Costco has the same but marked by Interstate Batteries. Both are about the same price at just under $90 and will suit your needs. Measure the space before you do anything.

Decide to test the boondocking waters and you really should consider going with true deep cycle 6VDC batteries rather than hybrids.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #14

THOR #15558
Thanks is "Reserve Capacity spec" the same as AMP Storage. Found this one at Sams club.. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...elevance.rr0_4

tks again.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #15

THOR #5638
If you set on spending that much then just get two 6VDC GC2s with twice the storage capacity and true deep cycle and never worry about if you have enough power.

When comparing us the 20 amp hour rate number listed. Two 6VDC will get you 215 while the single 12VDC only has 110. There's a little more to it but the 20 amp hour rate is a reasonable comparison number.

More info - https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...ate-mean-.html
Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #16

THOR #15558
Thank you to all

Want to thank all you responded to my question. I have learned alot and value you inputs. I picked up a 24 Marine/RV AGM series bat from Battery Source. SHe is in place and working fine (well once I charge it up) Need to take her on a road trip. Thanks again
Old 03-09-2021, 09:09 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #794
I am looking at replacing my flooded house batteries with AGMs and wanted to know what brands have served folks the best.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I installed 4 T105 AGM's a little over two years ago

1) No cell watering
2) No Corrosion
3) No hydrogen gassing off
4) Don't loose voltage as fast when sitting for a few weeks
5) Run all night on batteries for heat and fridge plus misc
6) Handles the inverter run time on long trips and layovers to use the microwave or coffee maker without running the generator

Good batteries as any battery needs to be kept from completely discharging to prolong the useful life

I had to clean and repaint the battery compartment as well as clean the cables from the flooded batteries. I do use batteries harder than the average camper might so consider that if spending more money

Decided enough is enough
Old 03-09-2021, 10:45 PM   #19

THOR #13362
For some of us Thor owners...
- there's not enough room to store more than two batteries, not even two T105's because of the height, unless major mods or storage space is taken
- but, I agree that AGMs are superior to Flooded Lead Acid
Old 03-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #21916
I just replaced my two group 27 flooded batteries with Duracell group 31 AGM batteries yesterday. Hoping to see some improvements with the AGM's.