Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37ND
State: Ontario
THOR #3357
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) - which one?

As a proponent properly inflated tires, my first season on the road had me diligently checking tire pressures. Any brands of TPMS that stand out, both for the coach and my flat-four towed vehicle?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
I liked the TST. We have the 507/ Replaceable Batteries w/Repeater. Great service and customer support.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #3

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
I've run the TST 507 system with flow-through sensors with good success. This system monitors and reports both tire pressures and temperatures. The sensors have user-replaceable batteries and, with the length of our rig, we use the repeater as well.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I would highly recommend a TPMS. Be sure to get one that alarms upon fast loss of pressure. In a blow out, you might not get enough of a warning from the TPMS to completely come to a stop, but a blow out at 30mph is a lot easier to handle than one at 60mph.

I use the EEZRV system (EezTire T515). It has provisions to monitor both the RV and trailer/towed vehicle. They have two types of sensors available, depending on your preferences.

After 2 years it has worked without issue. I'll probably be needing to replace the sensor batteries soon.

There are a lot of them on the market and most are fairly similar. I chose mine mostly because of the display unit mounting and ability to monitor a towed vehicle.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
My current system is TireMinder TireMinder® TPMS - The #1 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in America - Minder Research Inc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TireMinder.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1180

I like the compact monitor and that it doesn't constantly cycle through the tires. My previous system did that and it was distracting.

Bruce
Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
For those that are interested, FMCA did an article on TPM Systems in the September 2015 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine. Although they did not rate the systems they did mention the various features of the 6 or 7 systems they reviewed to include the TireMinder, TST and Pressure Pro systems.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
It seems that pressure pro might be one of the original systems on the market and as far as i know they have good customer service

I went with the TST with flow through sensors and the user replaceable batteries. I like it, but have no experience with it alerting me so I can't really say if it's any good...

I keep second guessing my decision and sometime think that i should have gone with the ones without user replaceable batteries. Supposedly the sensors will last I thik 10 months, or maybe it was a year.... while the sealed ones have batteries taht are supposed to last several years. I keep thinking that I'll be changing the batteries too often.... and since we don't uyse the MH really frequently it might be only a few trips before the batteries need replacement...
Old 12-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
THOR #2754
I've been using the TST 507 since early summer of 2014 and haven't replaced any sensor batteries yet. Because I had the maximum pressure alarm settings on the 5th wheel set too low for a hot summer day on Texas Interstates, I've had the TST alert me of high tire pressure - believe me, you'll KNOW when it alerts you!!!

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37ND
State: Ontario
THOR #3357
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll do my diligence over the winter and have the coach and my towed vehicle set up before I hit the road in the spring.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Ditto on the TST 507, used it 8 month and have been happy with it so far.
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
How has TST addressed the issue of brass sensors corroding on stainless steel tire valves? I recall reading that this was a major issue especially with the non-pass through sensors and in some cases the corrosion was so bad folks had to replace the valve stems because they could not inflate their tires. I read one review where the person had to cut the valve stem so they could deflate the tire and replace the stem because their tire pressure was 5 pounds low.

How have you folks with other systems addressing this same issue?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #12

State: Virginia
THOR #3405
Using
TireMinder A1A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with 6 Transmitters for RVs, MotorHomes, 5th Wheels, Motor Coaches and Trailers
Pricey, but working well with good customers service and reviews.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I recently added the Tire Minder TPNS system to monitor MH and toad... First trip the outside temp went up significantly in the week before the trip - so it alarmed for high pressure... so I know what it sounds like... Reduced pressure a bit at next rest area and finished the days drive.
Got it set right for second leg of the trip (outside temp had gone up another 20 degrees) and worked well.

In heavy rain - I got a couple of short (seconds) 'No Sensor' warnings for the toad tires - once for rear MH tire (with booster installed in rearmost utility compartment on MH...) - other than that worked great.

For battery life - these sensors 'turn off' (stop transmitting) when no pressure - so removing them extends battery life - just label which came from where (or reinitialize/reset the unit when putting them back on so the monitor knows the right positions.)

This one will monitor up to 22 tires... has different sensors (aluminum) for cars with aluminum valve stems (those with their own onboard TPMS use these) to avoid the 'mixed metal' problem.
There is a simple 'disconnect' mode to tell the monitor the toad (or MH) is no longer there.

Only thing it didn't have was 'flow thru' sensors... Have to remove them to add/remove air...
So far I like it..
Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #14

THOR #1503
You may want to use nitrogen in your tires.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
First trip the outside temp went up significantly in the week before the trip - so it alarmed for high pressure...
Old 12-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
You may want to use nitrogen in your tires.

Bruce
While there are reasons to use Nitrogen (at 93% or higher compared to 'normal' air at 78%) - the change in outside temp is NOT one of them...
From Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More (scroll to bottom to see answer):
Quote:
The pressure in nitrogen filled tires will change when the temperature changes, just as it does with air filled tires, because nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner. For example, when your vehicle is parked it will lose a similar amount of pressure for every 10 degree change in temperature, whether the tires are filled with nitrogen or air.
The calculations for this change are based on the Ideal Gas Law. A good rule of thumb is this: For every 10 F degree change in temperature, the pressure will change by 1.9%.
I filled the tires at 30 degrees before leaving on business trip the week before our trip... Temp was 55-60 when I got back... a 4-5 psi increase for normal 82 psi tires... That plus the error margin in the TPMS sensors - and my normal gauge, and the normal temp increase running was enough to alarm multiple tires.

Higher Nitrogen content may have reduced the 'running' temp and additional pressure increase... could have prevented the alarm - but to me the reminder was to verify pressure just before leaving - especially if temp changed significantly - regardless of what you fill your tires with.
The relative higher pressure of RV tires (almost 3x compared to passenger car) makes it even more important.

The TPMS helped 'remind' me of that fact - rather than running tires too hot.

There are other reasons to consider higher concentrations of Nitrogen - more info available on same link above... The downside of I can't maintain (add) from my driveway/campsite (added onboard compressor to MH) and the 50-60 degree temp swings on a trip heading north/south in a typical winter - I haven't gone this way... yet.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #16

THOR #1503
I carry a 10 lb nitrogen tank to top up the tires in my vehicles. It's much more convenient then packing a compressor in my little motor home.

Bruce
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I carry a 10 lb nitrogen tank to top up the tires in my vehicles. It's much more convenient then packing a compressor in my little motor home.

Bruce
what is that, capacity around 20-30 cubic feet maybe when filled to max pressure?

I've often thought of doing that, except just use a small scuba tank of air. It would be fine for topping off. I don't guess it would be enough to fill an average RV tire, but for topping off it makes good sense. A larger scuba tank would just seem to me to be too heavy to haul around all the time.