Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Challenger Heater question

Hello all,

I'm having a issue with my heater, this morning it was 80 degrees in the bedroom and 66 degrees in the front room!

I was wondering what I can do about my furnace. The furnace vents are 1 in the bedroom on the narrow space between the bed and the wall, in the bathroom by the toilet that blows directly on your legs, one in the kitchen island that I didn't even notice until I was cleaning and one in the front room behind the drivers seat that if you hold a blanket around you can tell a small amount of hot air coming out.

Is there any gates or valves I can put on the bath and bedroom vents to help direct the heat to the front room more?

Thanks

Don

Old 10-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yes, I have seen other posts were they installed different vent covers that they can close off or limit the air flow.

Search on Amazon first for registers that look like your but are adjustable.

Let us know what you find out.

Also check to make sure the heat ducts are fully attached. When I opened up that comparment up on my RV I saw 3 small ducts in the front and I think one or two others on the sides.

One of the small duct was just lying on the floor so it had zero air flow. Perhaps your is not attached properly?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, I have seen other posts were they installed different vent covers that they can close off or limit the air flow.

Search on Amazon first for registers that look like your but are adjustable.

Let us know what you find out.

Also check to make sure the heat ducts are fully attached. When I opened up that comparment up on my RV I saw 3 small ducts in the front and I think one or two others on the sides.

One of the small duct was just lying on the floor so it had zero air flow. Perhaps your is not attached properly?

Thanks, I'll check that again, but it appeared to be ok. I will look on line to see what I can find, I looked before and didn't find anything but I might not of put in the right wording so I will look again.

Thanks
Don
Old 10-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Take a look at this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I changed the one closest (2' of hose) to the heater. HOT in that area! cold in the bedroom! Much better now.

The hose at the vent with little flow is probably discounted, the one in our bathroom was.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #5

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Take a look at this.

I changed the one closest (2' of hose) to the heater. HOT in that area! cold in the bedroom! Much better now.

The hose at the vent with little flow is probably discounted, the one in our bathroom was.

Thanks, do you know if that has a dampener on it? There was no description on amazon.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #7085
if your unit is like our Miramar, we had the dealer relocate our bedroom vent closer to the foot of the bed so it now blows into the living space as opposed to heating the wall. It was horroid at first, and we did lose a drawer below the bed, but well worth it to us. We've closed off the bath vent, and we're still trying to get me heat out of the front floor register. We've gotten a small supplemental heater fan..just in case. We had to use it a couple of weeks ago in the CO. rockies.
Michael
Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Take a look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thanks, do you know if that has a dampener on it? There was no description on amazon.
It does have a damper, the small knob in the middle.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #8

THOR #7843
Quote:
It does have a damper, the small knob in the middle.

Great I'll get a couple on order!

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
We had/have the same issue. I changed the bedroom & bathroom to vents with dampers. It helped some, but didn't totally cure the problem. Noticed the biggest difference in those rooms. Some but not a lot in the kitchen/living area. It's just too long of a run from the furnace to the vent being the drivers seat to get much air there. It'll travel the path of least resistance. We use an electric heater in the living area. Works pretty well.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Two things:

- sometimes the factories don't do a good job of making sure that wood cuttings and shavings from the vent holes are cleaned out of the ducts. You may find that some have blocked your front vents. A long wire coat hanger or similar device may help you pull some out...

- some duct vent openings are much farther from the source, the furnace, so while the bathroom vent may be 'too' much heat, the front vent may be almost none. We actually covered a few of our vents in the past to help move more heat to the front, with a magnetic vent cover you can find at W*mt or hardware stores. We then eventually purchased 'louvered' plastic vents, with shut offs, and also added a 'net' below each to catch any small items or dirt/dust that can fall into the ducts thru the vents.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote