Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Dinette under-seat storage.

For some unknown reason, when my coach was made, there was no access to a potential storage area under the dinette. In fact, the top cover was screwed down so that you had to remove the screws to access the dinette.

I am not sure why this was so as later years of the same model has doors in the sidewalls of the dinette seats.

So a project I have started is to add access to the storage areas under the dinette. I live about an hour from the Elkhart, In area and there are no fewer than 3 different RV Surplus stores, one of which sells cabinet and door fronts:

I was able to buy two of them, for around $11 ea. if I recall. And as luck would have it, they are actually built better than the ones on my coach. They are exactly the same color, and about 90% matching.

The only difference is the doors on my coach have a relief around the perimeter, and the doors I bought do not. However, when looking at photos of my coach in later years that have factory doors in the dinette seating area, they don't match the rest of the doors either.

In my view, they are a close of enough match not to matter:

I am delaying the cutting of the sidewall until the last step, so I have started the drawer itself. I bought the longest drawer slides I could find; 28", and made a drawer box.

The next step is to make a frame as a backer for the dinette sidewall, which will not only stiffen the area, but allow me to fasten the necessary hardware to the dinette.

And the frame will double as a template that I can run the router with a ball-bearing cutoff bit around so as to have a nice straight cut.

The drawer itself is made of 1/2" Poplar which is not as expensive as other woods, lightweight, and fairly strong. I assembled the drawer with box-joints, and it has turned out incredibly strong.

It's almost a shame that the box-joint corners will be covered up as they look kind of cool.

The door/drawer will be a bit unusual wherein the door front will be hinged, so it will open like a cabinet. And the drawer will be on an independent slide which will slide in and out after opening the door, kind of like a pantry.

I went with this style for several reasons.

First, the front dinette seat will not have a drawer, only a door. So to retain symmetry, both doors will look the same, but the rear one will have a drawer.

And this still gives me the option of adding a drawer to the front if I ever decide to, as the door will also be independent on the front.

And I plan on putting a latch on the drawer so as to secure it. The latch will not be accessible until you open the door.

Finally, I may add a compartment for the various phones and iPods we seem to carry, and I might add that to the back of the door.

So when the door opens, there will be a spot to store these devices. And I may build a USB charger jack inside the void as well, so this will allow the devices to charge while stored in the backside of the door.

Not sure I will do that or not, but it's an idea I am toying with.

I am more or less waiting for a bit nicer weather to work in the RV, so hopefully next week I will continue the project. Will post photos as I progress.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
My dinette has the forward facing side screwed down as well and the other side had a huge pull out drawer under the cushion. After unscrewing the one side I couldn't figure out why this side didn't have the same big drawer. Then I realized it's because of the seat belts and the way they anchor to the floor. They would be in the way if a drawer was there.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
The seat belts are in the rear side, but it looks like there is room enough so that they won't be in the way. But go gave me an idea of putting a wall between the drawer and seat belts.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
There is enough space behind the drawer for the seatbelts to remain unobstructed, especially given they go into a slot in the top at the back of the bench, which more or less keeps them to the rear.

However, with the slack of the seat belts they can fall into the slots and jamb into the drawer mechanism. Originally I had thought to put some bungee loops around the seat belts at the top rail (not attached to the seat belts directly but looped around them).

But since I have to put in a rail attachment point, I am now thinking of perhaps a "wall" as I hinted in my above post; putting a piece of 1/4" plywood between the drawer and the void where the seat belts would fall should they fall through the slots.

At first, I thought bungee cords might cause "slack" when buckling the seat belt wherein the occupant might think the belt is tight, whereas the bungee cord might flex a bit in an accident, causing a "loose belt" condition.

However, I don't think this is any worse than the seat belt snaking through the slot in the top and behind the cushion.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
The dinette seats on my Hurricane were also screwed down at delivery.

I called Thor tech support to ask if the space was safe to use as storage. They said of course it is, they even mentioned that I would find little cloth grab-tabs sewn into the lids to help lift them. They are simply screwed in so that they don't fall out during shipment.

The seatbelt fabric must be routed clearly, unobstructed from the attachment point on the floor. So, nothing in the way of the belts, but other than that I could put whatever in there.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
...they even mentioned that I would find little cloth grab-tabs sewn into the lids to help lift them.
In my case, they just drilled finger holes through the top.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I also have an industrial sewing machine left over from our boating days (we used it to rebuild our canvas enclosure). I am thinking of making a couple of sleeves that will keep the seat belts from falling down into the void.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have the same thing going on..... one with drawer and one screwed shut. The funny thing is that the screwed down one has the thumb hole drilled in???

I'm figuring on accessing the area some day, but likely won't go to the trouble of adding drawers. I just don't have the time. Nice job though!

I'm also wondering why no seat belts in the rear facing seat.... maybe something to do with the lack of headrest.... but I'm considering adding a set there just to give options....
Old 04-11-2015, 02:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm also wondering why no seat belts in the rear facing seat.... maybe something to do with the lack of headrest.... but I'm considering adding a set there just to give options....

Dunno.

But we never have more than 4 people on board - and most of the time just two. So we never really use the dinette for seating while traveling anyway.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
It's a Federal Safety thing. You should not find any motor coaches having dinette seating with the seat belts on the rear facing seat.

My Forest River Class C had a label on the seat back which mentioned this as well as not attaching anchor points for child seats etc.... In my Class C you could sleep more people than you could transport. I have the same situation in my Challenger because my dining is the dinette with chairs so I can only transport 5 including the driver.

FW, nice mod to the benches. My FR C had a half length drawer in each bench and the remainder was dead space.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
our ace has belts on both forward and rear facing benches.
I just removed the screws on the lids and we put stuff in there that we don't need often. Extra TP, laundry extra blankets etc.
Thats gonna be a nice mod you're doing. I love hitting the surplus stores in Elkhart.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
THOR #1675
Definitely a worthwhile project!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
I've decided to just push the seat belts to the floor since I don't need them for occupants. Then I'll just have my dealer order from Thor the matching drawer and rails to install.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
The project is finished.

The overall view showing everything closed up. The dinette is on a slide out.

When the slide out is retracted, the drawer won't fully extend, but perhaps 80% - which is sufficient. The drawer is 28" deep.

I bought some wood grain edge banding to put around the cut out edge, but I don't think it needs it. I used a 3 flute router bit which made for a very nice straight cut.

The little round thing in the upper left corner is the magnet that holds the door closed. It is one of the flush kind that you drill a hole and pound it in. That surprisingly was one of the most difficult aspects of the project.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
THOR #1675
Very nice workmanship!

I'm thinking sometime down the road, I would like to add a drawer to my under seat storage. I already have the doors but, as you can imagine, it is hard to see into that space without a drawer that slides out like yours so the only part that is really usable is the first foot or so of the storage area.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Really nice job!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
nice
maybe instead of the edge banding.... which I agree if the cut is smooth it's not really necessary.... but maybe you could wipe some poly on that end grain, or even some with a close stain.... just to seal it.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #18

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
You did an awesome Job! Looks great
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
nice
maybe instead of the edge banding.... which I agree if the cut is smooth it's not really necessary.... but maybe you could wipe some poly on that end grain, or even some with a close stain.... just to seal it.
I might end up doing something like that.

The 3 flute router bit was really nice. First time I tried one.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
Wow that looks better than factory. Something to consider in my future. Thanks