Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Mine certainly doesn’t. The display dims after a short time unless there is an alert but it’s still awake and only takes a touch to light it up again. I leave it on when we stop for lunch or something and it does not turn off. I usually turn it off when we set up camp and turn it back on as I begin to break camp. It takes it several minutes for all six sensors to report in in the morning and I use it to see if all six tires are ready to go at their preferred cold pressures.
OK, have to make a decision tomorrow!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:10 AM   #22

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I went with the BLU Technology TPMS because I found out I could hack them

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...red-11423.html
Until I have the official Jamie App, I'm steering clear!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I have the pole mount at the moment, but am considering the hardwire model.

I am assuming that the best place to mount it would be next to the ATS (automatic transfer switch). Or am I off base on this?
You are correct. You can trace both wires going into the ATS (Shore and Genny wires) and then see the ONE output. I use that output wire going to the fuse panel so it protects me from Shore and Genny power.

Very easy. I had to mount mine on a rubberized pad to soak up some humming noise. See if you can place further back or against the outside wall to minimize hum noise in bedroom.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #24

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You are correct. You can trace both wires going into the ATS (Shore and Genny wires) and then see the ONE output. I use that output wire going to the fuse panel so it protects me from Shore and Genny power.

Very easy. I had to mount mine on a rubberized pad to soak up some humming noise. See if you can place further back or against the outside wall to minimize hum noise in bedroom.
Two questions:

Do you have the Hughes or the Progressive EMS?

Using the output wire to also protect when on generator power is clever; are there any potential "liabilities" to doing it that way, rather than before it gets to the ATS? (Specifically, is there any chance that Thor or your dealer could say that your warranty is screwed because of the way it was done?)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #25

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Two questions:

Do you have the Hughes or the Progressive EMS?

Using the output wire to also protect when on generator power is clever; are there any potential "liabilities" to doing it that way, rather than before it gets to the ATS? (Specifically, is there any chance that Thor or your dealer could say that your warranty is screwed because of the way it was done?)
I installed the "Surge Guard 35530" ($187 on Amazon). 30 amp model.

I dont seen any problems doing this way. I really dont ever plan on going back to camping world (or any other shop) if I can help it (But never say never when your on the road and need help).

The way I look at it is ....If what you installed caused the problems you are having thats on you. If not ...then no reason it should not be covered. And I do have 3 years left on an extended warrantee that I will most likely never use. I try to do everything myself.

Check Youtube for "Finding our happy" formerly known as "Two Trail Hikers". He did the same exact thing I did last year, then about a week ago it was tripping when running his Generator. He checked it and it was pushing like 40 or 45 amps. So it saved his Lap top and cameras, phones etc from damage from the genset.

I think its a good idea to install one.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 06-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #26

THOR #15054
Quote:

I dont seen any problems doing this way. I really dont ever plan on going back to camping world (or any other shop) if I can help it (But never say never when your on the road and need help).

The way I look at it is ....If what you installed caused the problems you are having thats on you. If not ...then no reason it should not be covered. And I do have 3 years left on an extended warrantee that I will most likely never use. I try to do everything myself.

Check Youtube for "Finding our happy" formerly known as "Two Trail Hikers". He did the same exact thing I did last year, then about a week ago it was tripping when running his Generator. He checked it and it was pushing like 40 or 45 amps. So it saved his Lap top and cameras, phones etc from damage from the genset.

I actually wrote to Hughes and asked them about your setup. The GM of the company got back to me and said absolutely no problem. He mentioned that if you/I truly "hard wired" it, it would be much more difficult in removing it if the EMS malfunctioned. I asked him if we could simply splice into the output cable and install the appropriate male and female connectors, allowing us to connect/disconnect the EMS as needed, and simply plugging in when the EMS had to be removed, and he said that would work.

I'm not nearly as frightened by this as I was before. My unit should be here next Monday. Listen for strange sounds that day!
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:

Did you get the remote display with yours? Mine will be hidden under the stove.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #28

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Did you get the remote display with yours? Mine will be hidden under the stove.
No, The way I look at it is .... If I have not power I can look under the bed and see if the Surge Guard is triggered or not. Very easy for me to get to.

I plan on installing both AC and DC digital displays above the fuse box anyway. I purchased both last year... just never found the time to install.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #29

THOR #12231
Quote:
I actually wrote to Hughes and asked them about your setup. The GM of the company got back to me and said absolutely no problem. He mentioned that if you/I truly "hard wired" it, it would be much more difficult in removing it if the EMS malfunctioned. I asked him if we could simply splice into the output cable and install the appropriate male and female connectors, allowing us to connect/disconnect the EMS as needed, and simply plugging in when the EMS had to be removed, and he said that would work.

I'm not nearly as frightened by this as I was before. My unit should be here next Monday. Listen for strange sounds that day!
The way mine is hooked up I have enough wire to disconnect a burnt out EMS and connect them directly together like OEM until I get a replacement. I have 3 wire nuts in a close location just for this possible failure.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #30

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Thanks, Jim.

This is my first experience with dually tires, so I have ZERO idea as to the best way to monitor them, other than to let technology do it. I am getting an alignment tomorrow at a Goodyear Commercial Tire Center and I plan on asking them for some tips, while I'm there.

The EEZ system that I'm looking at is $299 on their website, and that includes six sensors (either "anti theft" or the flow-through type); they must have dropped since you looked at it.(?) Either way, I'd love to hear about your new system.

t
Timmy, if you haven't already chosen a TPMS, here is a link to the one I bought. The configuration and user instructions are horrible, even by standard ChinGlish standards. But once you get it setup, it seems to work fine.

Placement of the display needs to be somewhere that the sun isn't going to hit it or you'll have a tough time reading it. The monitor/display works off of rechargeable batteries that can be replaced, recharged with USB or recharged with the built in solar charger that is on top of the display.

The display will shut itself off when inactive but will turn back on once it feels the coach moving. The senors are not flow-through.

I'm not unhappy with this monitor, especially for $130.00. But as I said, the install and operators instructions are very incomplete, so don't count on being told how it works. You'll have to figure that out on your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01180.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	17908  
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #31

THOR #15054
Quote:
The way mine is hooked up I have enough wire to disconnect a burnt out EMS and connect them directly together like OEM until I get a replacement. I have 3 wire nuts in a close location just for this possible failure.
Sounds great. Would you mind taking a picture of your ATS area where this is stored? I'm not sure if your 25 and my 24 are the same or not, but I'd like to see how you have yours rigged up before I start cutting wires.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #32

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Timmy, if you haven't already chosen a TPMS, here is a link to the one I bought. The configuration and user instructions are horrible, even by standard ChinGlish standards. But once you get it setup, it seems to work fine.

Placement of the display needs to be somewhere that the sun isn't going to hit it or you'll have a tough time reading it. The monitor/display works off of rechargeable batteries that can be replaced, recharged with USB or recharged with the built in solar charger that is on top of the display.

The display will shut itself off when inactive but will turn back on once it feels the coach moving. The senors are not flow-through.

I'm not unhappy with this monitor, especially for $130.00. But as I said, the install and operators instructions are very incomplete, so don't count on being told how it works. You'll have to figure that out on your own.
Dang, I couldn't find that one. Several people had mentioned it but no one gave the name. Oh, well, I think I'll be happy with the one I ordered. I went with EEZ Tire and it was $300, so it's not an arm and a leg. Just an arm. My hope is that I can make these sensors fit with the steel wheel trim without needing to cut it up. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #33

THOR #12231
Quote:
Sounds great. Would you mind taking a picture of your ATS area where this is stored? I'm not sure if your 25 and my 24 are the same or not, but I'd like to see how you have yours rigged up before I start cutting wires.
Im sure ours will differ...but its easy. The ATS cover pops off (no tools needed) and you can follow the wires from the Gen set and the Shore power into the ATS then see the Output. Use the output. I folowed mine and it goes to the main breaker. It had about 3 foot of slack in the wire .... so I re-routed the way I wanted it, cut then installed the Surge Guard where I can get to it.

My picture does not show the rubber pad I mounted it on to reduce noise.

I dont ahave a good pick of the ATS. But its easy to find. Looks like I have the ATS cover laying out on the bed. But the picture is blurry.

I suggest to put this ATS further back under the bed to minimize the huming noise. Need to mount on something like rubber pad to absorb some of this hum as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5227.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	17916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5228.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	17917  

Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #34

THOR #12231
Quote:
So you would NOT recommend purchasing this unit.... even at half the price of the name brands?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #35

THOR #15054
Quote:
Im sure ours will differ...but its easy. The ATS cover pops off (no tools needed) and you can follow the wires from the Gen set and the Shore power into the ATS then see the Output. Use the output. I folowed mine and it goes to the main breaker. It had about 3 foot of slack in the wire .... so I re-routed the way I wanted it, cut then installed the Surge Guard where I can get to it.

My picture does not show the rubber pad I mounted it on to reduce noise.

I dont ahave a good pick of the ATS. But its easy to find. Looks like I have the ATS cover laying out on the bed. But the picture is blurry.

I suggest to put this ATS further back under the bed to minimize the huming noise. Need to mount on something like rubber pad to absorb some of this hum as well.
Yeah, I can't quite make out if our space looks the same or not. My ATS is easy to see, not so easy to get at, as they tucked it under the solid piece of wood that serves as the bed platform. Luckily, the orange output wire travels right through the open compartment on its way to the breaker panel, so I'll be able to splice in right there, should I decide to go that direction. If I have room, I am probably going to wire up the spare male/female connectors, simply so I can quickly take the EMS out of play if there is a problem or if I am troubleshooting to see if IT is the problem.

Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #36

THOR #14340
Quote:
So you would NOT recommend purchasing this unit.... even at half the price of the name brands?
Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that. I just wanted Timmy (and anyone else thinking about purchasing this unit) that you will NOT get good instructions with it. And that can be quite frustrating.

As far as operating correctly, I have no complaints. Mine works as advertised and the price point is certainly reasonable. But the instructions and owners operating guide are basically non-existent.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #37

THOR #15054
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that. I just wanted Timmy (and anyone else thinking about purchasing this unit) that you will NOT get good instructions with it. And that can be quite frustrating.

As far as operating correctly, I have no complaints. Mine works as advertised and the price point is certainly reasonable. But the instructions and owners operating guide are basically non-existent.
One thing I really like about that system of yours is, it is made for a 6-wheel vehicle, like ours. They show you all 6 tires at the same time. The other systems are made for up to 20 or 30 tires, which is great, but the displays can't show you all of that, so they have to cycle through each one, one at a time.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #38

THOR #14340
Quote:
One thing I really like about that system of yours is, it is made for a 6-wheel vehicle, like ours.
Which is the systems shortcoming as well, as it can't be expanded to monitor a toad.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #39

THOR #15054
Quote:
Which is the systems shortcoming as well, as it can't be expanded to monitor a toad.
At that price, you could do a 2nd system for the toad and STILL be money ahead!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
One thing I really like about that system of yours is, it is made for a 6-wheel vehicle, like ours. They show you all 6 tires at the same time. The other systems are made for up to 20 or 30 tires, which is great, but the displays can't show you all of that, so they have to cycle through each one, one at a time.
On ours you can "disable" tire positions that are not used. So I am looking at the six for the VEGAS and four for the JEEP. That way I can also monitor the toad while towing.(no screen "shifting")

It is also easy to "blank" the JEEPs transmitters if not used. (I remove the JEEP transmitters when not used as a "toad")