Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
TPMS, Power Management upgrades: AM I JUST PARANOID?

OK, admittedly I am new to this RV world. We are so excited by the journey we have begun, but in adding to the safety aspect of our vehicle (suspension, tires, power management), I keep getting this feeling of dread in spending three or four hundred dollars on something and then having it stolen while we were away from the campground! (I feel the same way about my bikes, but I'm working on those solutions.)

Here's where I am: I want to add a TPMS system. I think the EEZ Tire system looks like it fits my needs the best, but the others look decent as well. Do people mess with these? Do they see sensors on your valve stems and say, "Oh, there's a couple hundred bucks worth of sensors just lying there!"? Or, am I just paranoid about things that I shouldn't be?

Same with power management. I think we will be getting a Hughes Autoformer with Surge Protection. At $350, I'd hate to leave this on the pedestal with a flimsy little cable lock, but again, am I overly paranoid? (I do see that Hughes now has a hardwire option, and I would be very interested in that, but not sure how to get the wiring to run into one of my storage areas.)

Help ease my anxiety over the unknown, please!

Old 06-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #2

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Get a hard wired ems. Then you never have to worry about it. I use Progressive industries. Great product and the company stands behind it

I have tire minder tpms. They can be locked to the stem but have never used the locks. Yes I sometime worry about it but never had a problem

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #3

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Get a hard wired ems. Then you never have to worry about it. I use Progressive industries. Great product and the company stands behind it

I have tire minder tpms. They can be locked to the stem but have never used the locks. Yes I sometime worry about it but never had a problem

Jerry
I see a lot of similarities between the PI and the Hughes units and most people that have them say nothing bad about them. Did you have your hardwire unit professionally done or DIY?

As for the theft issues, I'm sure after I've been out there a while, I will feel less "unsafe" about these things, but until then...
Old 06-03-2019, 02:04 AM   #4

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I did the install myself. Easy project
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:07 AM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I see a lot of similarities between the PI and the Hughes units and most people that have them say nothing bad about them. Did you have your hardwire unit professionally done or DIY?

As for the theft issues, I'm sure after I've been out there a while, I will feel less "unsafe" about these things, but until then...
Jerry does most things himself. Check out his mod thread (warning: it's HUGE, but informative!)

Here's a post on the EMS...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...html#post41266

I hard-wired my EMS myself...also went with the Progressive Industries model. My RV is 50 Amp & the 6 gauge wires was a "bear" to work with, so it took me longer than most, but well worth the effort.

When I leave a campground, it's one less thing I need to worry about packing up (or leaving behind).

I went with locking sensors on my TPMS, more for piece of mind. We have done a few sleep overs outside of RV parks (Walmart, truck stops, rest areas), so I just felt better about making it harder for any thieves out there.

I'm sure if they really want them, they'd figure out how to get them.

I also chose the flow thru sensor option, so I can add air without removing the locking mechanism.

I think it comes down to each individual, but that's the road I chose.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:20 AM   #6

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
Jerry does most things himself. Check out his mod thread (warning: it's HUGE, but informative!)

Here's a post on the EMS...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...html#post41266

I hard-wired my EMS myself...also went with the Progressive Industries model. My RV is 50 Amp & the 6 gauge wires was a "bear" to work with, so it took me longer than most, but well worth the effort.

When I leave a campground, it's one less thing I need to worry about packing up (or leaving behind).

I went with locking sensors on my TPMS, more for piece of mind. We have done a few sleep overs outside of RV parks (Walmart, truck stops, rest areas), so I just felt better about making it harder for any thieves out there.

I'm sure if they really want them, they'd figure out how to get them.

I also chose the flow thru sensor option, so I can add air without removing the locking mechanism.

I think it comes down to each individual, but that's the road I chose.
As with all things, a determined thief will get what he wants. Just trying to make it too difficult for the casual thief to be interested, so I'll probably go with the same as you for TPMS. Just have to decide on brand.

I'm going with Hughes because the person who did our orientation at General is a lifelong camper, and really knew his stuff. This was the one mod he talked about as a MUST-HAVE, and not because someone told him to say that. The way I figure it, if anything electrical goes wrong, I'm using the system recommended by their own employee, so...

I'm guessing I might need help with the install of the hardwire plug, though.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Here's where I am: I want to add a TPMS system. I think the EEZ Tire system looks like it fits my needs the best, but the others look decent as well.
Hi Timmy, and congrats on your new ride! I also worried abut tire pressure but kept moving it around on the "Need to add" list. That is, until I was at the campground awhile back and found that my inside rear tire was down to 18 lbs.

As it was the inside tire, I hadn't notice it, and it was only because I had some time on my hands (and I was bored) that I even pulled out my gauge and was checking my tires. Sure glad I did!

I immediately moved the TPMS up the list and got busy finding one. I looked at the EEZ Tire system as well, but at $500+ it was a real "oucher" for me! I settled for a similar system that was about $350 less. I'm on my first run with it now, and if you'll give me a day or so, I'll get back with you and let you know how I feel about it.

Jim
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Hi Timmy, and congrats on your new ride! I also worried abut tire pressure but kept moving it around on the "Need to add" list. That is, until I was at the campground awhile back and found that my inside rear tire was down to 18 lbs.

As it was the inside tire, I hadn't notice it, and it was only because I had some time on my hands (and I was bored) that I even pulled out my gauge and was checking my tires. Sure glad I did!

I immediately moved the TPMS up the list and got busy finding one. I looked at the EEZ Tire system as well, but at $500+ it was a real "oucher" for me! I settled for a similar system that was about $350 less. I'm on my first run with it now, and if you'll give me a day or so, I'll get back with you and let you know how I feel about it.

Jim
Thanks, Jim.

This is my first experience with dually tires, so I have ZERO idea as to the best way to monitor them, other than to let technology do it. I am getting an alignment tomorrow at a Goodyear Commercial Tire Center and I plan on asking them for some tips, while I'm there.

The EEZ system that I'm looking at is $299 on their website, and that includes six sensors (either "anti theft" or the flow-through type); they must have dropped since you looked at it.(?) Either way, I'd love to hear about your new system.

t
Old 06-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I went with a TST system a few years ago, so different brand...but the sensor are all more or less the same.

I started with flow through sensors. Didn't like them, had problems....bu they have a set screw that can be tightened to deter theft. I never even tried...no I take that back, I did it once.
Eventually I started replacing bad sensors with their cap style which is more like what you see with every other brand. I removed the locking cap before I even installed them the first time. It hasn't been an issue....knock on wood

and I have the hardwired progressive industries power monitor...glad I have it.
The hughes auto former sure looks like it would be great...my Progressive has cut me off due to low voltage a small number of times...and as I understand it those things are heavy. I don't have the room or carrying capacity for one... but if I did I'd hardwired it inside the rig. My understanding is that some parks don't like them...and even if there's no rule about it, I wouldn't want it outside to draw attention....not from a theft perspective so much, but from a misunderstanding and "too many questions" perspective.
Honestly though, low voltage hasn't been a problem enough for me to warrant one...
Old 06-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use a tire minder TPMS system and did not use the anti theft feature of the sensors. I’ve had them for 3 years now and nobody has bothered them even when the coach is in storage. I do remove them in the winter when not using it for a long time and I often, but not always, use tire covers in storage. For my system sensors cost about $35 so I’m not too paranoid about it. I consider TPMS to be essential safety kit. FWIW I chose not to use flow through sensors as it’s one more failure point and I’ve found I only need to add air once or twice a year and it’s easier to unscrew a sensor than even just a regular valve cap.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I went with a TST system a few years ago, so different brand...but the sensor are all more or less the same.

I started with flow through sensors. Didn't like them, had problems....bu they have a set screw that can be tightened to deter theft. I never even tried...no I take that back, I did it once.
Eventually I started replacing bad sensors with their cap style which is more like what you see with every other brand. I removed the locking cap before I even installed them the first time. It hasn't been an issue....knock on wood

and I have the hardwired progressive industries power monitor...glad I have it.
The hughes auto former sure looks like it would be great...my Progressive has cut me off due to low voltage a small number of times...and as I understand it those things are heavy. I don't have the room or carrying capacity for one... but if I did I'd hardwired it inside the rig. My understanding is that some parks don't like them...and even if there's no rule about it, I wouldn't want it outside to draw attention....not from a theft perspective so much, but from a misunderstanding and "too many questions" perspective.
Honestly though, low voltage hasn't been a problem enough for me to warrant one...
OK, you and a thousand others that I seem to have read that don't like the flow-through design! I'll probably steer away from those.

I have the Hughes on order and it's coming in with the hardwire kit, but I can have that installed later.

Thanks.

t
Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #12

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I use a tire minder TPMS system and did not use the anti theft feature of the sensors. I’ve had them for 3 years now and nobody has bothered them even when the coach is in storage. I do remove them in the winter when not using it for a long time and I often, but not always, use tire covers in storage. For my system sensors cost about $35 so I’m not too paranoid about it. I consider TPMS to be essential safety kit. FWIW I chose not to use flow through sensors as it’s one more failure point and I’ve found I only need to add air once or twice a year and it’s easier to unscrew a sensor than even just a regular valve cap.
Which model of the tireminder did you get?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I been on the fence for one as well. Another member posted his $128 TPMS. So far he likes it. I may go this one as well. Much cheap than about any other system.

I check mine before each trip (Only take about 15 - 20 minutes and half the time I dont have to add any air .....but you sure can work up a sweat in the sun) and about every other month in storage. So it sure would be nice to know the temps are Okay an once glance.

It would be nice to know if you have a slow leak on an inner tire or the temp is way to high so you can hopefully avoid a blow out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6H6T37...v_ov_lig_dp_it
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #14

THOR #6826
Quote:
Which model of the tireminder did you get?

I think mine is the A1A. It does have a mandatory hardwired signal booster that others don’t seem to require but it’s a simple 2 wire connection and I’ve never had a signal loss problem. It seems to be very reliable as all of its sensors are 3 years old. I’ll be adding 4 more when I start towing next winter. I really like the dedicated display. It’s the same size as my phone but it’s always on the job. And the customer service is top notch. Also the send you free batter every year. Very cool of them.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #15

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I think mine is the A1A. It does have a mandatory hardwired signal booster that others don’t seem to require but it’s a simple 2 wire connection and I’ve never had a signal loss problem. It seems to be very reliable as all of its sensors are 3 years old. I’ll be adding 4 more when I start towing next winter. I really like the dedicated display. It’s the same size as my phone but it’s always on the job. And the customer service is top notch. Also the send you free batter every year. Very cool of them.
I was watching a video review of one of them last night and they kept saying that the display would turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. I don't recall anybody else saying that was the case. I'm glad to hear that it's not. I'll recheck them again tonight on the reviews and see how it compares to the eeztire.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I did the install myself. Easy project
I have the pole mount at the moment, but am considering the hardwire model.

I am assuming that the best place to mount it would be next to the ATS (automatic transfer switch). Or am I off base on this?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I been on the fence for one as well. Another member posted his $128 TPMS. So far he likes it. I may go this one as well. Much cheap than about any other system.

I check mine before each trip (Only take about 15 - 20 minutes and half the time I dont have to add any air .....but you sure can work up a sweat in the sun) and about every other month in storage. So it sure would be nice to know the temps are Okay an once glance.

It would be nice to know if you have a slow leak on an inner tire or the temp is way to high so you can hopefully avoid a blow out.
coliid=I1TC2FTYYOEBPV&colid=1ZKK9SFSZCJBM&psc=0&re f_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it[/url]
I went ahead and got the TIRE MINDER from CW (since I had a gift certificate from there) but the customer service of the manufacturer is GREAT. I got the model with the separate receiver instead of using my phone since I like to monitor the pressure without having my phone tied up.

It is also good that if I need an additional transmitter I can get them at any CW. And they send you replacement batteries for the transmitters.

Also, they cover not only the six tires on the VEGAS, they also cover the JEEP....

When I powered up for the spring, it automatically pointed out the one tire that was low...
Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I went with the BLU Technology TPMS because I found out I could hack them

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...red-11423.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:57 AM   #19

THOR #6826
Quote:
I was watching a video review of one of them last night and they kept saying that the display would turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. I don't recall anybody else saying that was the case. I'm glad to hear that it's not. I'll recheck them again tonight on the reviews and see how it compares to the eeztire.

Mine certainly doesn’t. The display dims after a short time unless there is an alert but it’s still awake and only takes a touch to light it up again. I leave it on when we stop for lunch or something and it does not turn off. I usually turn it off when we set up camp and turn it back on as I begin to break camp. It takes it several minutes for all six sensors to report in in the morning and I use it to see if all six tires are ready to go at their preferred cold pressures.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 AM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I have the pole mount at the moment, but am considering the hardwire model.

I am assuming that the best place to mount it would be next to the ATS (automatic transfer switch). Or am I off base on this?
Yes. If you go to the Hughes website, there is a page of instructions. Here is the link:

https://hughesautoformers.com/wp-con...T-MODIFIED.pdf

Doesn't sound TOO complicated, but I might still have my dealer do this so they can't accuse me of screwing up the entire electrical system!