Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: California
THOR #2012
Turning Driver's Seat

Is there any way to cut off or take the stuffing out of, the back of left arm rest, on the driver's seat, so that the chair can turn around more?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
If you purchased it, it's all yours and you can do with it what you want.

I have not studied my Thor's armrests, so I'm not sure if they have a zipper, or are completely stitched. If there is a zipper, you can remove the cover and cut the foam to your liking.

If it's stitched, you can cut the stitches to remove the cover and then take it to an upholstery shop, (or learn how to stich by watching YouTube videos).

Have you tried to move the seat forward or backward, and moved the seat back up and down? In my Hurricane there is a sweet spot where the seat must be positioned so that it can easily be swiveled around without hitting the arm switch panel or the steering wheel.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

State: West Virginia
THOR #1408
I had trouble turning the driver's seat also, but moving it forward as Beacher suggested allowed it to turn.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
A quick-release removable steering wheel?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #2012
Thank you. We will keep trying. I think we have moved it every way possible. The arm rest is sewn completely around. I don't know how to take it off but will keep working on it. If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to try them.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldavid View Post
Is there any way to cut off or take the stuffing out of, the back of left arm rest, on the driver's seat, so that the chair can turn around more?
We have the same issue. I'm beginning to think it's a poor design by Thor. Not happy.

Our 2016 Hurricane 27K has been at the dealer's service department since June 17. We took possession of it May 21. We are getting more and more frustrated as we try to get what we thought were 2 major and several minor warranty issues taken care of. It seems the dealer (at least ours) has a problem "communicating" with Thor, and with trying to decide whose responsibility it is to fix these issues. We are reaching the end of our rope here.

I have been in touch directly with Thor and that seemed to get a fire lit at the dealer - but only time will tell.

When we get it back we'll revisit the arm rest issue and see if we can suggest any solutions.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Our 2016 Hurricane 27K has been at the dealer's service department since June 17. We took possession of it May 21....
Are the necessary repairs so severe that you can't use the coach? If they are not, go pick it up and only return after all the parts and bureaucracy has been ironed out.

Despite what any service writer tells you, you do not need to LEAVE your motorhome at the dealership while the parts are being ordered and the authorizations are being approved. How do you think fulltimers get their RV work done?? They only drop it off for the few hours the work will be performed, and that's what I have done for warranty work. Always!

My most severe warranty repair was a blown engine in my old, Fleetwood Pace Arrow, I dropped it off at 6:00 a.m. and picked it up before they closed at 5:00 p.m. that same day!

Go pick up your RV and use it. Only return it to have the work performed.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Are the necessary repairs so severe that you can't use the coach? If they are not, go pick it up and only return after all the parts and bureaucracy has been ironed out.

Despite what any service writer tells you, you do not need to LEAVE your motorhome at the dealership while the parts are being ordered and the authorizations are being approved. How do you think fulltimers get their RV work done?? They only drop it off for the few hours the work will be performed, and that's what I have done for warranty work. Always!

My most severe warranty repair was a blown engine in my old, Fleetwood Pace Arrow, I dropped it off at 6:00 a.m. and picked it up before they closed at 5:00 p.m. that same day!

Go pick up your RV and use it. Only return it to have the work performed.
I do appreciate this view on having warranty work done. I believe a couple other folks stated basically the same info.

It is a 3 hour roundtrip from our home to the dealer, so dropping it off takes some planning.

We are newbies and are learning as we go. The dealership is doing a good job of collecting black marks in our book. We will certainly look at future visits to the service department through different eyes.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 AM   #9

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
As for the arm rest removal...have them in the upright position, push in hard while turning them backwards. Once they are rotated to the back, you will find a spot that will let you pull the arm rest out. Be careful to pull it out, slowly, so you don't rip the seat cover. If pushing on them to turn, isn't working, pop them with your palm while turning them backward. The arm covers have zippers and can be removed. The issue is that the foam is formed around a frame ant easily made smaller. As I own an upholstery shop, I will say sewing them smaller is not fun and I don't do it. Personally, I reared use my driver arm rests and leave them off, except when showing my coach off. Good luck...
www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Garry and Tara,

The arms come off? Did not know that.

Since they come off have you been able to find a way for a re-set to a more horizontal position when pulled down into "use" position? Mine seem to be pointing more to the 4 o'clock position instead of 3 o'clock horizontal position.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #11

THOR #2850
No, because the position is set by the welded pin position. One could remove the upholstery and have a machine shop reset the position. Would take some pre measuring so they know what you want. Is your position @ 4:00 when seat back is straight up and not too far forward?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
It's more like 3:30 with the seat back pretty much straight up.

The DW will not allow me to drill holes or weld things while under warranty...so, I'll just leave it alone for now.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #13

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldavid View Post
Thank you. We will keep trying. I think we have moved it every way possible. The arm rest is sewn completely around. I don't know how to take it off but will keep working on it. If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to try them.
If your seat is flexsteel rotate armrest to full up position push in toward seat at pivot pint continue to rotate up then pull arm rest out
The covers are removable PM me if they are flexsteel and you need more help
Old 01-21-2016, 03:06 AM   #14

THOR #2850
Here is a simple video...
Old 01-28-2017, 02:07 AM   #15

State: Arkansas
THOR #6371
I have an Axis 24.1 and cannot turn the drivers chair because of the steering wheel and arm rest, does this work on all arm rest?
Old 01-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherriBob View Post
I have an Axis 24.1 and cannot turn the drivers chair because of the steering wheel and arm rest, does this work on all arm rest?
It's a 3 step process:

(1) Put left armrest up

(2) Seat in upright position and

(3) Seat slid back away from steering wheel.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #17

THOR #2850
Almost always. It takes a bit to understand but easy, once you have done it. While armrest is upright, push in on it (or "pop" it) while turning it to the back. It should rotate freely until you find a place where it will pop out of the upholstery. Again, be sure to be careful as you remove it to not rip the upholstery. Goes in the same way. You may need to push hard or "pop it" while turning it forward, to get it to seat correctly. Good luck
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
OK-someone here on the forum shared the method to turn the drivers seat rearward on a Vegas - I tried it and it really worked ! Now if I could only remember it .... I think it was to put the seat back all the way FORWARD with the armrest up. But it worked without removing anything or modifying anything. Try searching - or play around some more.... maybe they will see this and share it again....
Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 AM   #19

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
It's a 3 step process:

(1) Put left armrest up

Hope this helps.

Similar issue on our Hurricane 27K. Those 3 steps work somewhat, but it still requires a fair amount of forcing to get the chair turned either way. It sure seems like poor design.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #20

State: Arkansas
THOR #6371
Thank you, tried it and guess now plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
It's a 3 step process:

(1) Put left armrest up

Hope this helps.
Thank you, One of the reasons I bought the Axis was so I could use the front seats as part of the living quarters and if the chair does nor turn Ive lost Prime RealEstate, I think I will try removing the arm, Ive tried the 3 step process. They really did not make moving that chair easy! Again thank you