Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Safe-T-Plus dealer installation? Need advice

I want to install a Safe-T-Plus on our 2016 Ace but I am concerned about the installation.

I called Bretz RV and they wanted 2 1/2 hours to install it. With shop rates it gets pretty expensive, almost a thousand dollars for everything.

I also talked to Pierce RV, and they said they didn't really have a chassis mechanic. Nice folks but they cannot do it.

I called an independent truck repair shop, and he kind of hesitated but said he would do it.

So, proper installation is important to me. Safe-T-Plus says it is an hour or less to do this, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

What would you do? (I don't have the facilities or tools to do it myself.)

One other thing, my coach handles pretty good just the way it came from the factory. Just thinking it would be nicer on long trips.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
I want to install a Safe-T-Plus on our 2016 Ace but I am concerned about the installation.

I called Bretz RV and they wanted 2 1/2 hours to install it. With shop rates it gets pretty expensive, almost a thousand dollars for everything.

I also talked to Pierce RV, and they said they didn't really have a chassis mechanic. Nice folks but they cannot do it.

I called an independent truck repair shop, and he kind of hesitated but said he would do it.

So, proper installation is important to me. Safe-T-Plus says it is an hour or less to do this, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

What would you do? (I don't have the facilities or tools to do it myself.)

One other thing, my coach handles pretty good just the way it came from the factory. Just thinking it would be nicer on long trips.

Thanks in advance.

I installed it myself and it was really straightforward. If you can change oil you can do it with just basic hand tools. Good socket with a long handle. Torque wrench is nice but not essential. You could buy all that and still come out ahead. Adjustment is not difficult but don’t be surprised if it takes 4 or 5 tries (short drive, get out, crawl under loosen a bolt move link a bit tighten bolt, try again...). Or, if you plan to go south sometime, the factory will install it for free. Could plan a nice trip around it maybe? FWIW I’m very glad I have mine. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post

Thanks in advance.
If your coach handles pretty good already don'y install it for the long trips; install it for the safety factor when you have that front tire blowout.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:41 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
If your coach handles pretty good already don'y install it for the long trips; install it for the safety factor when you have that front tire blowout.

Or more likely when a front tire drops off the edge of the pavement. I had an inattentive oncoming driver on a narrow road and had a harrowing moment or two....pre .safe-t-plus!