Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35c
State: Texas
THOR #16922
How do you have wifi in your rv?

Old 11-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckysbak View Post
How do you have wifi in your rv?
How do you have WiFi in your house? Same way. You have a wireless router from Best Buy or Wally World, or a mobile hotspot, or you turn on the hotspot on your phone.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #23

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #3182
You can get a portable Travel router as well https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wir...3947308&sr=8-4 This way, if you have several devices or a device like a Chromecast that only works through a router you'll always have this guy broadcasting your wifi signal.
This device may seem complicated to figure out at first, you'll still need a source of Internet... either your phone's 4g or Park Wifi. Once you use it a couple of times and get the hang of how handy it is it'll be second nature.
It runs on USB power and you can connect as many devices as you want to it, where it really shines is if you happen to stay someplace that makes you pay for Internet per device..... (hotel) you log this one device in and share that connection with as many devices as you want.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 AM   #24

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Vermont
THOR #15779
We use campground wi-fi when it's available. Haven't decided yet how to get our own. At home we use a signal booster in the house to kick it up so we can get a good signal outside.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #25

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
We use a Verizon Jetpack for WiFi when we travel. RV or Hotel. During travel months we have unlimited data on our Verizon phone account.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #26
JMF

Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny C. View Post
We have a 2019 Thore 34j and it has multiple axxera tvs and we would like to upgrade to smart tvs. All the tvs with the exception of the two in the bunks all seem to have a box attached to the back of the tvs that all the wires run to. My question is dose that box come and just bolt to the new smart tv or is that part of the tv?

My
Assuming you have a similar hookup with a shared Blu-ray or DVD...Upgrade your Blu-ray or DVD player to one with Wi-fi and smart hub. This will allow you to hook it up to all of your TV’s. I swapped the one in my 2019 Siesta and it worked. I had one in my home hooked to a smart TV since those features were redundant. Another solution would be to add an add-on box like others suggested and add a HDMI switch before the splitter. BTW if you Blu-ray player is in a cabinet like mine, add a cheap IR repeater so you can use your remote. I don’t know why Thor didn’t do either of these very cheap upgrades.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 35c
THOR #16922
Thanks
Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #17465
Check out Apple TV it just locks to your phones HotSpot you can use the Apple TV with any TV with an HDMI port - Good Luck

Mike
Old 11-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #29

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
While Rokus are great if you do want to upgrade the TV get Roku TVs:

You can always upgrade the Roku apps
You will have a real channel guide for your OTA TV no matter where you are at (if the Roku TV is connected to the Internet).

Vizio TVs look like they have a channel guide in their literature, but that is just for their streaming service, not OTA channels.
How do you get a channel guide thru roku for the OTA channels?
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #30

State: New York
THOR #12610
I'm shopping for tvs also, my visos wont pick up anything. I understand the fire sticks ect., but I also want to be able to use ant. in some locations. I don't know if a smart tv could use ant. signals. Does the ant. in my MH work if I install a smart tv ?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #31
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleflier View Post
I'm shopping for tvs also, my visos wont pick up anything. I understand the fire sticks ect., but I also want to be able to use ant. in some locations. I don't know if a smart tv could use ant. signals. Does the ant. in my MH work if I install a smart tv ?
Yes, the antenna will work with a smart TV.

Instead of swapping out televisions I replaced my DVD with a smart DVD. This was I can watch streaming on any TV through the matrix switch. Swapping out a TV would not allow watching the streaming programs on the other TVs.

Using a fire stick would allow the same as swapping out the DVD.

Swapping a TV doesn't always provide the most bang for the buck. In my case swapping the DVD for a wireless smart DVD cost under 100.00 and I can now watch Netflix or Amazon Prime on all three non-smart TVs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleflier View Post
Yes, antenna is still used. You just set the TV to Antenna.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #33

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes, antenna is still used. You just set the TV to Antenna.
It can be a bit more involved than that depending on your coach.
If your coach has the new KeyTV system that may be all there is to it, I've never had that system.
If it has the old system, you may have to raise the antenna depending on type, then you'll need to find the antenna booster (they are very good at hiding them), it's a wall plate with a cable outlet, sometimes with a cigarette lighter type plug, with a very small button to activate the booster, there's a very small led light next to that button that if lit the booster is on, then you'll need to go to the tv menu to "set up", switch to "antenna" & scan channels. The booster must be on for antenna off if hooked to cable or satellite & each time you relocate or change input you'll need to scan the channels.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 AM   #34
MCG

State: Utah
THOR #17782
Roku and Axxera Tv

I've added Roku to all my tv's on my rig. The only problems is having to use two remotes. So the main television I replaced with a TCL television. Planning to replace the others as I find places for the other Axxera televisions. Roku drop down list for tv's to sync with doesn't include Axxera. Bummer.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #35

THOR #3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCG View Post
I've added Roku to all my tv's on my rig. The only problems is having to use two remotes. So the main television I replaced with a TCL television. Planning to replace the others as I find places for the other Axxera televisions. Roku drop down list for tv's to sync with doesn't include Axxera. Bummer.
I've heard people say to try it as an LG or Vizio.
Ours had the ContinUS brand TV and the RCA codes worked.

You'll always wonder how much extra it might have cost to had just included a normal brand name TV in these things.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I've heard people say to try it as an LG or Vizio.
Ours had the ContinUS brand TV and the RCA codes worked.

You'll always wonder how much extra it might have cost to had just included a normal brand name TV in these things.
I asked the salesman giving the plant tour in 2016. He said the contract with MITO for Axxera HD 32" TVs specified !2,000 TVs delivered at 2,000 per month from March 2015 through August with the possibility of 6,000 more if necessary for $495,000 for the first 12,000 TVs. That was $300,000 less than any other manufacture would deliver the 32" Tvs
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #37

THOR #3182
$40 a TV, I guess that explains that.

I'd be interested to know how much they're actually paying for the furniture they put in these things, if that's more than $40 they're getting ripped off.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #38

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have been following this along with interest

We have Samsung Smart TV's in the homes and shop. The Tuscany came with 4 Sanyo LED smart TV's. They still do all that they were suppose do and we use the apps on them for Prime, YouTube and and so on.

Use Direct TV and Fiber Optic for various locations

No issues at all with anything so again find this very interesting and still lurking
Old 09-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:

I'd be interested to know how much they're actually paying for the furniture they put in these things, if that's more than $40 they're getting ripped off.
LCI furnishes most of the furniture for the cheaper coaches; Villa International for the more expensive. The retail prices in interior furniture prices are available. Wholesale is 30 to 35% off. <https://store.lci1.com/shop-by-department/furniture-mattresses/rv-furniture/theater-seating.html>

Ford chassis are $24,000 to $69, 000 when modified by MorRyde. House walls, floor and ceiling materials are 35% of the cost, labor 45%, wiring 8%, and the remaining 12% is appliances and furnishings. Add 40% for dealer profit and you get the list price . For my 31 foot Hurricane (my cost new ($86,500) would estimate cost $39,000 for the chassis so that leaves $10,400 for 3 TV, 2 A/Cs, stove, water heater, fridge, flooring, power captain chairs, outside kitchen, cabinets, bed surround wardrobe, etc. If you go by plant 750, they will show you the average coach cost break-down. At least they did it for us as we were the only two in the tour.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #40

State: Washington
THOR #19263
Quote:

Garbage TVs