Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
Thank you. This is very helpful. I’ll order the 6 way power unit & install it first. I’ll post update as I go along. I would like to drive my RV without the pedalmates because no one else can drive it with them on.
I just unloaded from our trip and removed the old pedestals from the storage compartment. Here is a picture or them.

One still has the old slide rails attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_202151.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	10008

Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
As many have noted for various reasons the seats on the Vegas are not very comfortable. I just upgraded mine to power seats and what a fantastic improvement. We have just finished a 5000 mile trip and its like night and day. Love them!

I purchased 2 new 5 1/2 inch height pedestals (one in coach is a 10 inch) plus two 6 way power seat assemblies from "Factory RV Surplus" in Elkhart, IN. Total cost $605.62. Shipping not included but sales tax was since I picked them up. I paid $400 to have them installed (4 hours labor ) Not an especially hard job but it takes 2 people and nothing I wanted to tackle while on the road!

Using the 5 1/2 pedestals now has me about 1.5 inches lower than factory at the lowest setting plus about 1 inch higher at the highest setting. I now have up/down, front/back, and tilt adjustments. plus swivel.

The Vegas pedestals have a 7 inch bolt pattern and the pedestals from RV Surplus matched that. No additional drilling in floor required.

Factory Rv surplus number is 574.262.3327 Their web site is
factoryrvsurplus.com
One question. On most of the cars I have owned only the driver's seat has had the power controls and that has been fine. Do you think it would be "workable" to just do this on the driver's side?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #23

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
One question. On most of the cars I have owned only the driver's seat has had the power controls and that has been fine. Do you think it would be "workable" to just do this on the driver's side?
Absolutely! 1/2 the cost too. The two are totally independant of each other.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
FWIW

As far as pedestal height there are several heights available on the market for those wishing to change ride height.

If anyone is interested, I will be putting my seats from my Tuscany on the market within the month. I just ordered new Flexsteel seats including all new 6 way power adjusters and pedesrals. (Did not want to adapt the other manufacturers pedestals) Both seats will come with everything needed to bolt into your class "A". Both chairs, Passenger chair has power footrest, both 6 way adjustable power, adjstable armrest. Seats are like new. I am changing due to changing the interior colors of the cabin. They are 2016 model year seats.

I will advertise them in classifieds as well as craigslist when I have them changed out.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
FWIW

As far as pedestal height there are several heights available on the market for those wishing to change ride height.

If anyone is interested, I will be putting my seats from my Tuscany on the market within the month. I just ordered new Flexsteel seats including all new 6 way power adjusters and pedesrals. (Did not want to adapt the other manufacturers pedestals) Both seats will come with everything needed to bolt into your class "A". Both chairs, Passenger chair has power footrest, both 6 way adjustable power, adjstable armrest. Seats are like new. I am changing due to changing the interior colors of the cabin. They are 2016 model year seats.

I will advertise them in classifieds as well as craigslist when I have them changed out.
Just for curiosity, how much did the new seats run?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #26

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Just for curiosity, how much did the new seats run?
Total cost ~3800 including shipping. Top of the line seats from pedestal to top. Power everything including foot rests and lumbar support.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #27

Model: Vegas
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1755
Quote:
gdi_m

Tried to quote you but could not get it to work - again.

I actually had it done at the Thor repair facility while I was having some other work done. It was towards the end of the week and they had some slack time.

By the way that Thor repair unit in Wakarusa In. It is a great outfit, good people. They do everything including body work. It requires an appointment but normally they get the work done in several days and provide a place to hook up after hours and a nice waiting lounge during the day.

Joe, do you have the phone number of ,Thor repair unit in Wakarusa In., I would like give them a call. Thanks Kamm
Old 07-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #28

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamm View Post
Joe, do you have the phone number of ,Thor repair unit in Wakarusa In., I would like give them a call. Thanks Kamm

Call 877-855-2867 and follow the prompts. If you want an appointment don't wait even if you have to cancel. They are very busy and it may take 6 months to get in. You always start at 7:00 on a Monday morning and they bring it back at 3:30.

If you are thinking about them doing your seats you have to have the parts. If you need help in that area let me know and I can suggest some contacts.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
I finally got around to working on this project. I ordered the power seat bases and pedestals from Factory RV Surplus. Even though they stay they usually have them in stock, don't wait until the last minute to order them. It took mine over 3 weeks to get them.

I've finished putting in the passenger's seat this afternoon. I'm going to do the driver's seat tomorrow. If anyone is interested, I could take some pictures of the steps involved.

It can be a one person job, but a second set of hands would have come in handy during a few of the steps. Let's just say I used some duct tape to hold in some bolts while lining up the pedestal.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #30

State: Alabama
THOR #10803
Some pictures would be great! This project is definitely on my wish list. Good luck and thanks!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #31

THOR #6513
Quote:
Call 877-855-2867 and follow the prompts. If you want an appointment don't wait even if you have to cancel. They are very busy and it may take 6 months to get in. You always start at 7:00 on a Monday morning and they bring it back at 3:30.

If you are thinking about them doing your seats you have to have the parts. If you need help in that area let me know and I can suggest some contacts.
One thing I noticed. The switch unit apparently was designed to be on the right side of the seat for proper up/down front/ back motion. There is an up arrow stamped into the plastic also. Even then I had to switch the leads on one of the motors (easy to do on the connector).
Old 08-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #32

THOR #5927
So, I got the driver's pedestal replaced today. In total, it took me about 3 hours. But, I knew (basically) what I needed to do and I had all of the supplies on hand.

I took pictures at each step. So, I'll run through quickly what each step was.

I'm going to break this up in to multiple posts so that I don't overwhelm the system with too many pictures.

The first picture is what I received from Factory Surplus RV. The pedestal, the power seat base and all of it's parts.

First step was removing the seat belt from the existing pedestal. This was a 3/4" socket.

Second step was to remove the 4 bolts that held the chair to the pedestal. This was a 1/2" socket. Once the bolts were removed, put the chair of the way.

Third step was to remove the other end of the seat belt from the pedestal.

Next, remove the shroud covering up the bolts holding the pedestal down. This was simply 4 screws.

Next the carpet was covering the bolts. It was slit already, so simply pull the carpet over the bolts to expose them.

The next picture is what it looks like under in the pass through storage area. These are the 4 bolts holding down the pedestal with a metal plate.

The next picture is what I had to do to remove the bolts. With only one person, getting a 3/4" wrench on one side and a socket on the other required a little creative thinking. The wrench on the top side, wedged up against the pedestal and the socket below in the pass through area. Removed all of the bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	12291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3365.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	12292  

Name:	IMG_3367.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	12293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	12294  

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	12295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	12296  

Name:	IMG_3371.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	12297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3372.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	12298  

Old 08-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #33

THOR #5927
(Part 2 of driver's seat base install).

The next picture is where I ran the power to the seat under the carpet. I'm not going to go in to any detail--this will vary based on how you do it.

The next picture is more of me having to be creative because I did this by myself. I had to wedge the metal plate back up in place. I placed the replacement pedestal in place inside the RV and used duct tape to hold the bolt in place while I ran inside and put on the bolt. This is one of the places where a second set of hands would have really speed things up. During this process I also created a ground wire by placing one end of the wire under a bolt.

Next, I added back shroud covering the bolts. Somewhere around here I added the wire connector's to both the ground and 12V with an inline fuse. I'd recommend not putting the fuse in holder yet. The metal of the chair is a good ground. Ask me how I know!

Next, I reattached the first side of the seat belt. Oh, and the swivel feature came in handy here and when installing the screws in the shroud.

Now we need to get to the seat base. Flip up the chair and remove the two sliding mechanisms (these are not needed--the power seat base has forward and backward movements). I also removed the bar connecting the sliding mechanisms to the front of the seat. In the picture, that is the bar at the top running vertically. Again, more 1/2" bolts.

The next picture is installing the clip that holds the power switches to the power seat base. Make sure it's on the desired side (there were screw holes on both sides.

Next, I bolted on the power seat base to the the chair. More 1/2" bolts.

The next picture is where I put the cross braces on to the seat base. One of them was removed from the bottom of the seat (3 steps back). The other one I had to manufacture (thank goodness I did this project at the house with a full shop). Make sure the distance between the holes that you use line up with the holes on the pedestal--in my case 11 1/2".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3373.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	12299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3374.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	12300  

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	12301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3376.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	12302  

Name:	IMG_3377.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	12303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3378.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	12304  

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	12305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3380.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	12306  

Old 08-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #34

THOR #5927
(Part 3 of driver's power seat base install).

Reinstall the seat on to the pedestal with the 4 bolts. Now was time to figure out if the controls are wire correctly. On the passenger's seat, I simply had to put the control upside down and everything worked correctly. Unfortunately, the driver's side wasn't so simple. I had to reverse the 12V and ground connections. That got everything except for the forward and backwards--they were reversed. On the picture, I had to swap the orange and the green/orange connectors to get that corrected.

On the next picture, you will see that the controls have been installed. That requires cutting the leather (or is it pleather ), putting the control unit through the hold, and putting in 2 screws in. I've also reinstalled the seat belt.

That's it. I hope this helps out someone. I also hope that this is not a complete mess of a posting and you guys can follow it. Hopefully, I've gotten all of the descriptions lining up with the pictures.

I have been wanting to do this for at least a year and never got around to it. And, even when I was willing to pay to have it done, I was having problems finding some one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3381.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	12307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3383.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	12308  

Old 08-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #35

State: Alabama
THOR #10803
Outstanding! You really went above and beyond with all the pictures and details. I now feel like I could do it with no problems. Thank you so much and enjoy you new mod!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #36

THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdi_m View Post
Outstanding! You really went above and beyond with all the pictures and details. I now feel like I could do it with no problems. Thank you so much and enjoy you new mod!
You're welcome gdi_m. I spent 2-3 hours noodling how to connect the power seat base to the pedestal. Hopefully, this will save someone some time.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #37

THOR #5927
Power seat base follow up

I wanted to post a follow up now that we have completed an 1800 mile migration from Atlanta to Utah with the new power seat bases installed.

The power seat bases made the trip much more comfortable. My passenger was able to sit in the passenger's seat much more of this trip. Without the power seat bases, he complained that he felt like he had to wedge himself in to the seat. He felt like he was constantly sliding forward and had to use his legs to push himself back in to the seat. Needless to say, that was tiring. We both found that the power seats allowed us to set it so that the back of the seat was lower. This was much more comfortable.

Also, the forward and back movement seems to be much greater with the power seat bases that it was with the manual slides.

A couple of notes, though. We did have to set the front all the way up and the back all the way down for a comfortable position. This means that there really wasn't any height adjustment.

When I installed the seat bases, I didn't reinstall a couple of ~1/2" spacers that were on the front of the seats. I figured we wouldn't need them since the power bases would allow for up and down movement. I think I'm going to go back and reinstall them.

The only real complaint I have left about the seats is that I need to figure out something for lumbar support. The pillows I've been using aren't very good. Oh well, back to Amazon to see if I can find something that will work.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #38

THOR #5927
Additional follow up

When I last posted, we had made the 1800-mile, 4-day drive from Atlanta to Utah. I mentioned that I was thinking of putting back in the 1/2" spacers that I left out because the adjustable seats should take care of that.

Well, I didn't put the 1/2" spacers back in before our return trip. After discussing it with my co-pilot, we put in 1" stainless steel spacers on the front of the chairs. I did also have to get longer bolts for this.

Now the chairs are completely comfortable. You actually can get the front of the seat too high to be comfortable. Both the co-pilot and I were much more comfortable in the latest configuration. I was able to find a position that didn't hurt my back or knees.

In fact, it did cause another problem. I was so comfortable that I could drive for 2 or more hours straight (depending on how much coffee I drank in the mornings ). The only issue with that is that I was much stiffer when I did stop. But, we were able to make great time this trip.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #39

Model: Axis
THOR #13864
anyone done this lately? where are you finding parts. i don't see any of the parts listed on factory direct surplus website anymore. seats are an issue for us as i'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'1"

so far i can only find ADNIK 5 1/2" pedestals but it says the bolt pattern is 7.5"x7.5" (all heights i find say 7.5")
found the adnik power seats for $699 for driver and passenger sides.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:42 AM   #40

THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
anyone done this lately? where are you finding parts. i don't see any of the parts listed on factory direct surplus website anymore. seats are an issue for us as i'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'1"

so far i can only find ADNIK 5 1/2" pedestals but it says the bolt pattern is 7.5"x7.5" (all heights i find say 7.5")
found the adnik power seats for $699 for driver and passenger sides.
Here are my notes from when I was researching the project. This was the other vendors that I was considering ordering the parts from.

Shop4Seats.com
• 6-way power swivel stack $499 each
• Shipping is $51.25
• Total: $1049.25
• 3 week lead time

DiscountVanTruck.com
• 6-way Power bases - $499 each
• Shipping $122
• Total $1120
• In stock

Other possibilities:
Braddandhall.com power $395 base $85