Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Vegas 6 Way Power Seat upgrade

As many have noted for various reasons the seats on the Vegas are not very comfortable. I just upgraded mine to power seats and what a fantastic improvement. We have just finished a 5000 mile trip and its like night and day. Love them!

I purchased 2 new 5 1/2 inch height pedestals (one in coach is a 10 inch) plus two 6 way power seat assemblies from "Factory RV Surplus" in Elkhart, IN. Total cost $605.62. Shipping not included but sales tax was since I picked them up. I paid $400 to have them installed (4 hours labor ) Not an especially hard job but it takes 2 people and nothing I wanted to tackle while on the road!

Using the 5 1/2 pedestals now has me about 1.5 inches lower than factory at the lowest setting plus about 1 inch higher at the highest setting. I now have up/down, front/back, and tilt adjustments. plus swivel.

The Vegas pedestals have a 7 inch bolt pattern and the pedestals from RV Surplus matched that. No additional drilling in floor required.

Factory Rv surplus number is 574.262.3327 Their web site is
factoryrvsurplus.com

Old 04-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Those look great! The last time I considered new front seats for my Axis, it was about twice that cost.

What color did you order them in? Also, did you buy the Class A seats or the Class C seats?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserdude67 View Post
Those look great! The last time I considered new front seats for my Axis, it was about twice that cost.

What color did you order them in? Also, did you buy the Class A seats or the Class C seats?

Thanks for sharing!
Used the seats that came with the Vegas and just replaced the pedestal and added the 6 way power units. They are all separate units that just bolt together. If I had replaced the seats that would have added another $1500 to $2000 more to the cost (many many variables on seat cost).

Personally I haven't found the seats themselves that uncomfortable (wider than I like) but just their fixed height and tilt to be very uncomfortable.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
As many have noted for various reasons the seats on the Vegas are not very comfortable. I just upgraded mine to power seats and what a fantastic improvement. We have just finished a 5000 mile trip and its like night and day. Love them!

I purchased 2 new 5 1/2 inch height pedestals (one in coach is a 10 inch) plus two 6 way power seat assemblies from "Factory RV Surplus" in Elkhart, IN. Total cost $605.62. Shipping not included but sales tax was since I picked them up. I paid $400 to have them installed (4 hours labor ) Not an especially hard job but it takes 2 people and nothing I wanted to tackle while on the road!

Using the 5 1/2 pedestals now has me about 1.5 inches lower than factory at the lowest setting plus about 1 inch higher at the highest setting. I now have up/down, front/back, and tilt adjustments. plus swivel.

The Vegas pedestals have a 7 inch bolt pattern and the pedestals from RV Surplus matched that. No additional drilling in floor required.

Factory Rv surplus number is 574.262.3327 Their web site is
factoryrvsurplus.com

I’ve been considering this also. What did your installer do about power? That is the only real issue that I can see with installing these.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Used the seats that came with the Vegas and just replaced the pedestal and added the 6 way power units. They are all separate units that just bolt together. If I had replaced the seats that would have added another $1500 to $2000 more to the cost (many many variables on seat cost).

Personally I haven't found the seats themselves that uncomfortable (wider than I like) but just their fixed height and tilt to be very uncomfortable.
Sorry! I just realized that you did pedestals only. They also have some very nice seats for about $750 for a pair on the website you mentioned. That's about half of what a single seat would cost the last time I looked.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

THOR #6513
He tapped into the engine side of the isolation relay under the hood with a 20 amp fuseable disconnect for each seat.

Reply for Bsexton. Sorry I tried quote reply but it wont work.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:03 PM   #7

THOR #6513
Oh, one other thing that I really like about this addition. For the first time I can look thru the steering wheel and see the whole instrument cluster. Before the steering wheel blocked either the top gauges or the speedometer. For me the original pedestal was just too high. If you dont want the 6 way power module you can also buy the pedestal in heights like 7 1/8" for just $55. That would lower your existing height about 3".
Old 04-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #10354
S/H

I was ready to purchase the pedestals and power pedestals and then i noticed the S/H to California is $240. I'd rather pay tax!

Question: is there a lot of play (or softness) using essentially 2 pedestals on top of each other because I notice quite a bit of play in my current Vegas seats right now.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #10803
That’s exactly what I want to do when I get my RV but wasn’t sure how/where so thanks for sharing! For as much time as I plan on sitting behind the wheel I can’t imagine having to do it at the factory height/tilt. Was the installer in the same area?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I was ready to purchase the pedestals and power pedestals and then i noticed the S/H to California is $240. I'd rather pay tax!

Question: is there a lot of play (or softness) using essentially 2 pedestals on top of each other because I notice quite a bit of play in my current Vegas seats right now.
Wow! I think I would find something more local for sure.

There has been no play in either the original or the current setup on my unit.

You don't have 2 pedestals. You remove the existing pedestal and replace with the new one then you attach the power unit to the new pedestal (need 2 metal strips to adapt ) then bolt the seat to the power unit. Each step requires 4 grade 5 bolts all included with the kit. Twelve bolts total. If you are mechanically adapt it's pretty straight forward. If not better to let a shop do it. It would also be a lot easier with two people since the seats are a little unwieldy for one person alone. The price I paid included all hardware to complete the task.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #11

THOR #6513
By the way the power unit is made by Adink. Search for "Adink 6 way universal power seat". I ran across this at trucknvans.com in Calif. Dont think they carry the pedestal however. Don't forget to try to find a pedestal with a 7" square mounting base otherwise you will have to drill new hole in the floor and mountil plate underneath the floor. Not a deal breaker but more work.

There are other sources as well. Flexsteel is big in this RV market.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #12

THOR #6513
gdi_m

Tried to quote you but could not get it to work - again.

I actually had it done at the Thor repair facility while I was having some other work done. It was towards the end of the week and they had some slack time.

By the way that Thor repair unit in Wakarusa In. It is a great outfit, good people. They do everything including body work. It requires an appointment but normally they get the work done in several days and provide a place to hook up after hours and a nice waiting lounge during the day.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Was this mod done on a class A or Class C. My dealer wanted a ridiculous amount ($1,200) for both new seat and pedestal. I’m fine with existing seat but would like to get power to it, AND in perfect world power pedals. Also, can any RV repair facility do this. I absolutely will not go near CW if there is ever another option.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
Was this mod done on a class A or Class C. My dealer wanted a ridiculous amount ($1,200) for both new seat and pedestal. I’m fine with existing seat but would like to get power to it, AND in perfect world power pedals. Also, can any RV repair facility do this. I absolutely will not go near CW if there is ever another option.
The Vegas (and Axis) units are a "Class C in Class A clothing" in that they are a Class A built on an E-Series (E-350 or E-450) chassis.

Thus the answer to your question is: yes, both.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
Was this mod done on a class A or Class C...

To build on Jamie's comment, Class C uses the van cab, (cut behind the driver's seat) and Class A is built on a stripped chassis (with bare frame and drive train), so the Vegas and Axis are considered a Class A.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #16

THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

To build on Jamie's comment, Class C uses the van cab, (cut behind the driver's seat) and Class A is built on a stripped chassis (with bare frame and drive train), so the Vegas and Axis are considered a Class A.
Thanks. When I bought the RV I asked the dealer about upgrading to power seats & pedals. They quoted me almost $2,000 to upgrade to power seat. I think they were going to replace the seat as well as add power. I guess I should talk to the local repair shop about this. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #17

THOR #6513
Dogshow,

Again I dont know why I cant get "quote" to work so sorry your text is missing.

As the others have replied the Vegas is a class "A" type. These 6 way power seats inserts will work on almost any type of captains chair seat that sits on a pedestal. Since the 6-way power unit adds about 4 inches of height you have to change the pedestal to a shorter one to put it all back into the original height range. Most of these conversions use a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 pedestal to accomplish that.

My Vegas came from the factory with a 10 inch pedestal. The pedestal has a swivel function built in. Another inch is added by the tracks that allow for front to back adjustment (which is discarded when the 6-way unit is added). That much height was just to high for my wife and I which is why I opted for the 5 1/2 in pedestal which allowed my seat to be about 1.5 to 2 inches lower at the full down position of the 6-way power unit and about 1 inch higher than original at the full up position.

As far as to who can do it it is really pretty straight forward mechanically. At lot of upholstery shops and almost any RV dealer should be able to do the work.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #18

THOR #8445
Thank you for the specifics. I would Iike to make sure I understand. I’m short, 5’0” and I need more height, not less. How would that affect what would be done with regard to the pedestal because height, and too much distance from brake and gas pedal is the what I would like to modify. Right now I sit on a cushion and I have added pedal mates, pedal extenders so I can reach the brake and gas pedals without getting right up close to the steering wheel (airbag). I just want to be sure that I’m ordering the correct products.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #19

THOR #6513
Dogshowrv,

Sorry again can't get "quote" to work. Does anyone know why this is not working for me?

Anyway I am copying your post for clarity. " Thank you for the specifics. I would like to make sure I understand. I’m short, 5’0” and I need more height, not less. How would that affect what would be done with regard to the pedestal because height, and too much distance from brake and gas pedal is the what I would like to modify. Right now I sit on a cushion and I have added pedal mates, pedal extenders so I can reach the brake and gas pedals without getting right up close to the steering wheel (airbag). I just want to be sure that I’m ordering the correct products. Yesterday 09:14 AM"

I cant be sure about you unit since it is different from my Vegas. However I suspect it is very similar. The 6-way power unit adds about 4 inches minus probably 1 inch when you remove the rails for the front to back adjustment that are not used with this 6-way power unit. With that said I would guess you would gain about 3 inches in height when the seat is in the full down position and about 6 inches in height when the seat is fully up.

You may want to just order the 6way power unit and install it and then make a decision about what kind of pedestal is needed (if any). There is a wide range of heights available. 5.5, 6.5. 7.5 etc.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #20

THOR #8445
Thank you. This is very helpful. I’ll order the 6 way power unit & install it first. I’ll post update as I go along. I would like to drive my RV without the pedalmates because no one else can drive it with them on.