Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #4305
Vegas Air Conditioner

Hi. We picked up a used 2016 Vegas in Florida this week and yesterday it was in the mid-90's. I turned on the coach AC in mid-day (coach temp was 103F) and even after 1-2 hrs it never really got cool. Is this typical? How can I tell if I have the 13500 or 15000 BTU unit?

Old 06-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Under the conditions you described, I think it can occur easily. Part of the problem is that the air conditioner is not only having to cool the air inside the motorhome, but everything else inside that is near 103F also. All the cabinets, beds, furniture, dishes, etc...

Whether it's 15,000 or 13,500 BTU/hr air conditioner (only 11% difference) these air conditioners don't have all that much excess capacity to start with when motorhome is parked outside on a hot sunny day, so it takes a long time for the initial cool down.

It helps to turn the AC on in the morning to keep the motorhome from getting so hot.

I'm in South Florida and yesterday was indeed hot. I went to visit a friend at 2:00 PM in a car parked in sun, and it just started to feel right after 20 minutes when I got there. Everything in the car was very hot to the touch. Likewise if we leave the house for a few days in summer with AC off it takes hours before the AC cycles off for first time. Beyond the air there is a lot of mass to cool down.

As to the size, I would personally try to find the model or serial number and look it up.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Was there a bag with Thor on it in the coach somewhere when you bought it? This bag would have contained all the appliance and coach manuals. Hopefully, somewhere in that bag there should have been a build sheet. That sheet would give you the A/C model and serial number as well as tell you if it was 13.5 or 15 K BTUs.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our build sheet was taped to the inside of the closet door but since your unit is a used one I'd think the Thor bag would be the best place to look for it.

If you can't find it then I'd call Thor with your VIN and ask for it--they should be able to send you a copy.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

THOR #4305
Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. I found the documentation and it's the 13500 BTU model. I've added reflective foil to the front cab windows and to all the roof hatch areas. I'm going to see if it makes a difference since today should also be in the mid-90's.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formia1
Thanks for the quick response. I found the documentation and it's the 13500 BTU model. I've added reflective foil to the front cab windows and to all the roof hatch areas. I'm going to see if it makes a difference since today should also be in the mid-90's.
Yes blocking the huge greenhouse up front does go a long way towards reducing heat within the coach.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:12 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
Vegas Air Conditioner

Sometimes when you try to cool the unit down to 65 when the outside is 103 the compressor will freeze. Was the next day any better?

Also, the unit produces condensation. If the condensation drain line is clogged it can have an effect on the roof-top unit's performance. Some units can only bring down the temperature by 20 degrees.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:34 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by machlin
Sometimes when you try to cool the unit down to 65 when the outside is 103 the compressor will freeze. Was the next day any better?
Typically the compressor will freeze when there isn't enough airflow over the coils. If you open up the vents on the bottom of the A/C a bit more you get more airflow.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #9

THOR #4305
AC

Thanks again for the suggestions. The vents on the unit were closed on 2 sides. It does an initial cool down much better. I'm getting used to "working" the vents for different conditions.