Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #2045
Vegas/Axis 24.1 Baskets for Interior Cabinets

Wife and I have been trying to milk as much space out of the interior storage. No pantry kind of bites, but trying to make due. We picked these up:

Stack Or Mount Storage Basket | ClosetMaid

Fit perfectly in the side cabinets (both front and rear). For the cabinets all the way to the back, some of the cloth, collapsible storage totes/boxes from target seem to do the job.

Has anyone had any luck/ideas expanding the wardrobe?

My wife and I don't much hang clothes on a trip, so looking to do something a bit more interesting with that space.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:49 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can see some of the stuff I've done in the Axis/Vegas mods thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html

About 1/2 way down you'll see where I installed some "mail sorters" for holding mobile devices while they charge (to keep them off the tables).

Another thread of mods I've done is here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...axis-1433.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

THOR #2045
Thanks Jamie! I had see your mail organizers ( I like that and may steal that idea) in a previous post, and have quickly come to appreciate all the info and mods you've (as well as others) have done. I'm fairly technically inclined, though it seems I run into every problem under the sun when modding or trying to do something myself. So, usually I prefer to pay someone else, and then complain about how I could have done a better job. I solute you guys that get out there and really get into the meat and potatoes of the RV though.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaymans
I'm fairly technically inclined, though it seems I run into every problem under the sun when modding or trying to do something myself.
So do I, I just don't let that stop me! LOL

For a simple example: Was checking the tire pressures on the Axis the other day. When removing the valve stem cap for the inners I accidentally dropped the cap behind the hubcap. This turned the 10 minute job of checking the air pressure into a 30-45 minute job of figuring out how to remove the hubcap and replace it once I found the cap--I had never removed one from a motorhome before. After lots of googling the cap simply pry's off. I did have to use a rubber mallet to get it back on.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Believe me; this sort of stuff happens to me a lot.

I pried off one of my caps awhile back to see if I could get to the inner air valve extender. No such luck w/o removing the outer tire which I let the big boys do after I purchased new extenders.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Getting ready for shake down trip

Jamie and all,

I have enjoyed reading the various problems addressed, the solutions generated and posted in this forum. I am in the process of loading my 2016 Vegas to close to limit and getting the front end aligned prior to our first (shake down) road trip. Just purchased our Vegas 30May15.

In the mean time my DW has been buying stuff to make the RV a home. In doing so making sure it does not slide and shift while driving has occupied a good bit of my evening free time.

What I would like to ask is has anyone addressed and/or fixed the problem of no tie downs in the various outside storage compartments? I have been thinking of getting some kind of industrial adhesive (or hot glue gun) and just gluing some adjustable tie downs in place. Has anyone done this, if so what kind of adhesive did you use? Does anyone remember what the salesman said the compartments were made of? What is that black stuff?

With the help of my techno savvy son I am also working on how to make the RV wireless to the three TV's from any phone/iPad/laptop by using a fanless CPU/BluRay unit, a wireless keyboard, a WiFi router, Chromecast and a couple of HDMI splitters allowing for local Intranet on the road and Internet once at a campsite. I am trying to avoid monthly and/or DATA charges associated with OnStar (like the GMC/Chevys have so as to make their vehicles a Wi-Fi hot spot). But before I re-invent the wheel has anyone else done this?

BTW: Who was the guy that put the recliners in? That was way cool. I have had two hernia surgeries, with a third scheduled for December and dealing with that couch just seems want to rush my trip back under the knife.

Please keep posting what you fix and what you make better.

DocMike
NCNG Ret

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We don't have any permanent tie downs; we use the rubber shelf liners like this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Premi...13B5624E41AE41
In addition to being really sticky to keep things from sliding around, it also is a little "foamy". Putting some between the plates protects the plates and reduces noise from them rattling around.

Our version of "local internet" on the road is simple: a shared plan with a high data cap. Since we have many mobile devices with most having LTE it seems pretty simple. As for putting stuff on the TV I do have a chromecast hooked to the main TV which doesn't get used much. Typically the only thing on our TV is my son's PS4--we're camping so we are outside most of the time anyway.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

THOR #2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So do I, I just don't let that stop me! LOL

For a simple example: Was checking the tire pressures on the Axis the other day. When removing the valve stem cap for the inners I accidentally dropped the cap behind the hubcap. This turned the 10 minute job of checking the air pressure into a 30-45 minute job of figuring out how to remove the hubcap and replace it once I found the cap--I had never removed one from a motorhome before. After lots of googling the cap simply pry's off. I did have to use a rubber mallet to get it back on.
HA! I'll have to remember this. I know when I say in my head "This should be a x-minute job." It's going to be much, much longer.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My solution is basically the same as Jamie's however I use tool box drawer lining material for the floors of the compartments. In the kitchen and dining area cabinets and drawers we use shelf liner and small bubble wrap under the shelf liner to keep things in place and reduce the noise from items rattling around. The small bubble wrap is also taped to the inside front, back and sides of the kitchen cabinet drawers.

With that said, on my list of "mods to do within a year or two" is to put sliding trays in a couple of my pass thru or semi pass thru storage compartments and at that time I may attach some cargo netting to keep things in place on the trays.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Wowsers, using the drawer lining material is what my wife came up with yesterday and did while I was at work. I do like the idea of putting it between the plates.

We put all the cups into 2 small 11" trays (one on each side of the cabinet, the plates fit firmly between, plastic wine glasses in the back and (even though my wife says I'm crazy) I have placed a blow-up Beach Ball in the cabinet and inflated it enough to fill in most of the space and hold all in place to further reduce rattling and drifting. I will test this out Friday at Highway speeds.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Wowsers, using the drawer lining material is what my wife came up with yesterday and did while I was at work. I do like the idea of putting it between the plates.

We put all the cups into 2 small 11" trays (one on each side of the cabinet, the plates fit firmly between, plastic wine glasses in the back and (even though my wife says I'm crazy) I have placed a blow-up Beach Ball in the cabinet and inflated it enough to fill in most of the space and hold all in place to further reduce rattling and drifting. I will test this out Friday at Highway speeds.
Hadn't thought about the beach ball. For that purpose we use the plastic grocery bags bunched into one and then use them as required for trash at the campgrounds. I believe in using multi-purpose items. The other thing that works good for that purpose are the air filled shipping cushions that sometimes come in boxes shipped from Amazon and others as well as large zip lock or plastic grocery bags stuffed full of Styrofoam peanuts.

An idea just popped into the mind. If needed large or medium sized space saver bags filled with air could be used in the storage compartments. A shop vac set to blow rather than suck could be used to inflate the bags.

We are limited only by our imaginations.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
An idea just popped into the mind. If needed large or medium sized space saver bags filled with air could be used in the storage compartments. A shop vac set to blow rather than suck could be used to inflate the bags.
This may not work because the space saver bags have a one way valve (e.g. keep air out, but not in).

We also re-use plastic grocery bags as garbage bags, and recycling bags.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
This may not work because the space saver bags have a one way valve (e.g. keep air out, but not in).

We also re-use plastic grocery bags as garbage bags, and recycling bags.
I forgot they have a one way valve, so much for the space saver bags.
FMCA - F432054