Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I have just the opposite problem with the seats being to high at the front, making it to high for my legs to rest properly on the floor. I am not a short person, being around 6 ft. on a good day. It looks as if it may be possible to space up the base rear to tilt it more towards the front. If that does not work out, I may put a foot rest on floor or if that does not work, remove the seat, and shorten the post.
I had a chance to take a few measurements today and found that the seat pedestal does tilt back a few degrees; i.e. not perpendicular with the floor. This puts a stress on the back of my legs when sitting and is not good for circulation, especially at my age.
I removed the two rear bolts at bottom of pedestal that fasten thru the floor and loosened the front two bolts. I placed various thickness of spacers in the rear and had my wife sit and try it. After starting at 3/8" and working up to 1", the seat was more or less parallel with the floor and more comfortable. Probably not as comfortable as lowering the whole seat, but a big improvement. I had to buy four longer 1/2" bolts and enough washers to space it up, but well worth the time and money when you spend 5-7 hrs a day driving on long trips which is mostly what we do.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
hurricane seats

mcr1010
Thanks for the information. When I have the opportunity I will crawl under the seat and see what my measurements are. I suspect the driver's seat pedestal is at an angle.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #23

THOR #1249
[QUOTE=movingtara;51726Snip
Does anyone know who makes these crummy seats? My 1970 Ford F-150 had better seats.
Thanks for the help and input. I thought we were the only ones having this problem, or so said Thor.[/QUOTE]

While under the seat, I saw on the tag (not to be removed etc) the name: "Lexington". Not sure if that means anything or not. Was more focused on getting the seat at a better angle.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
. I had to buy four longer 1/2" bolts and enough washers to space it up, but well worth the time and money when you spend 5-7 hrs a day driving on long trips which is mostly what we do.
Hopefully you did buy grade 8 fine thread bolts.....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #25

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hopefully you did buy grade 8 fine thread bolts.....
Yes, but probably overkill since the org. bolts are grade 5 and the pedestal is mounted on OSB and what appears to be sheet metal under clad opp. side. My guess the OSB floor would fail first before the bolts. There may be some steel framing in there somewhere, not visible.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #26

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
vkb & giagejohn;
If you have air bags on the passenger side dash, which I am pretty sure have, your wives could be seriously injured if the air bags deploy.
Just a reminder;
Harry
Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #27

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have room on the underside I would add large fender washers for extra support. Another option would be to use 1" X 1/8" steel with matching holes drilled for each pair of bolts.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
If you have air bags on the passenger side dash, which I am pretty sure have, your wives could be seriously injured if the air bags deploy.
No airbags on the passenger side of Axis/Vegas units--the only airbag is the one in the steering wheel for the driver.

Passenger side has the fold-out desk with no evidence of an airbag anywhere in it.

Axis/Vegas units are class-A like: with a Thor designed front end. Thus they don't have the Ford van front like a class-C has (which would have an airbag for the passenger side).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #29

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you have room on the underside I would add large fender washers for extra support. Another option would be to use 1" X 1/8" steel with matching holes drilled for each pair of bolts.
Yes, there is a 7 or 8" sq. steel plate about 1/8" thick on the underside of floor with HD flat washers also on both ends of bolts with LW's under nut.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #30

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
I've been watching this thread because our new Axis' seats are not the most comfortable and the co-pilot has comment that his chair seems to slant towards the front. He has also complained that it seems too tall.

In doing some research on this, I did find that you can get a replacement base that is shorter. As an example, I found this website.

RV Swivel Seat Bases,Chevy,GM,Dodge,Ford RV front seat bases

This wont address the slant, but could make the chair shorter and more comfortable.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #31

THOR #4991
thor seats

I called Lexington Corporation in Elkhart today and confirmed they did make the seats in my 2016 Thor Hurricane 31S. I also contacted Flexsteel an confirmed they did not make the seat. Flexsteel was very responsive to a letter I sent to the president. His assistant called the day the got the letter.

Lexington Corporation is a OEM manufacturer and buffed me off to Thor. I am sending them a similar letter that I sent to Flexsteel to see if I can embarrass them into doing something.

My dealer, who has been deaf and dumb on the issue, agreed to call Lexington tomorrow after what I affectionately call a "come of Jesus" meeting in his office.

Stay tuned for the next episode!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #32

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post
I've been watching this thread because our new Axis' seats are not the most comfortable and the co-pilot has comment that his chair seems to slant towards the front. He has also complained that it seems too tall.

In doing some research on this, I did find that you can get a replacement base that is shorter. As an example, I found this website.

This wont address the slant, but could make the chair shorter and more comfortable.
Quick check on the height of base in my Vegas shows 9" and the 7" shorter base offered would sure help. Especially with spacing up the rear of base to get seat more or less parallel with the floor. I will keep this option open and see how the present seat mod does after a couple of trips.
Thanks for the link info.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #33

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Quick check on the height of base in my Vegas shows 9" and the 7" shorter base offered would sure help. Especially with spacing up the rear of base to get seat more or less parallel with the floor. I will keep this option open and see how the present seat mod does after a couple of trips.
You said you looked underneath to see the other side of the bolts that hold down the base. Were these in the pass through opening between the two storage compartments? Did it look like it would be easier to reach?

I'd normally just go out to the RV and look myself. But, it's now at the dealership getting the first batch of warranty work done.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #34

THOR #1249
Yes, very easy to reach the bolt heads at the edge of the pass thru "tunnel". I had to make it a one man job. Vise grip to hold the bolt head in tunnel to loosen and tighten nuts in cabin on seat base. Although, the job would go faster and smoother with a helper.
If you are considering installing a shorter base or installing spacers or both let us know how it goes.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #35

THOR #4991
Quote:
Thanks for the information on the shorter pedestals. Let me know how the mods work. My wife is "physically challenged", i.e. short, and not having her feet touch the floor is uncomfortable for her. And you know how it is, if the little wife is unhappy it tends to make everyone else unhappy!!! Actually she is wonderful. I suspect any "complaints" are on her side about me.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Has anyone replaced driver/passenger chairs

Reading this thread made me curious. Has anyone ever replaced the driver/passenger chairs for more comfortable better quality chairs? If so what did you use? The butt goes numb after a few hours in the axis chair

I think it's because it sits up too high and the cushioning is not all that great.

Just curious...
Old 12-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler
I think it's because it sits up too high and the cushioning is not all that great.
It could also be from the slide. I find that I can't recline the seat enough to get comfortable due to the back hitting the slide. I usually place the seat closer to the steering wheel so I can get the right back angle where I'm reasonably comfortable (and my legs aren't completely jammed up against the dash! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #38

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post

If you do this, or replace the seats please let us know how it worked for you. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #39

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I have a similar issue with my drivers seat being too tall for my liking.

I have the power adjustability, but lowering the back of the seat base as low as I can, does not allow me to lift the front of the seat base to achieve the tilt I like and have my feet contact the floor. I put a foam bathroom mat on the floor and that helps some, but I feel I need about an inch lower of the entire seat to get it to my liking. I don't know how someone shorter will be able to manage unless they really like the forward tilted base and I feel like I am sliding forward all the time with that.

Any successes shortening the seats yet?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #40

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I'm following this thread with interest. When I test drove the 2017 Vegas one of the things I noticed was that my feet did not rest on the floor when in the drivers seat!
I'm 5'4" and I can see this as being a serious issue when driving!
Curios to see how people solve this problem!

Tags
vegas 25.1