Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Vegas handling and noise mods

When I got my new Vegas, after downsizing from a Monago diesel pusher,there were two major areas I wanted to improve : cab noise and on the road stability. These areas have been discussed elsewhere, but this is a summary of where I stand.

NOISE: I am almost satisfied with where I am 😉..... FatMat has been added to the doghouse , dash top joint has been sealed around the front and sides with Fatmat and 3M sealing foam, fatmat has been added to the bottom of the computer desk panel, base of windshield pillar sealed. And, something I have not seen mentioned before, fat mat was added to the bottom of the W/S defroster plenum-which was very effective. I am also going to fatmat the other removable dash panels ( above the instruments and radio ). On the road tests has shown the cab is about 80 dB at 65 - and now engine does not sound like it is right in your lap!

STABILITY: I have increased Caster to about 5 degrees positive , and set toe at 1/8 in. Made a good reduction in deflection due to wind and passing trucks. Not at diesel pusher level 😄😄, but livable.

Now I am really bonding with the Vegas !

Old 05-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #2

THOR #1812
Forgot to add: caster was increased by using an eccentric alignment bushing holding the upper ball joint- specially Ingalls Engineering 59400. Google it for good installation instructions. Easy to do in your own driveway.....if you are comfortable with working an big trucks...
Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
Forgot to add: caster was increased by using an eccentric alignment bushing holding the upper ball joint- specially Ingalls Engineering 59400. Google it for good installation instructions. Easy to do in your own driveway.....if you are comfortable with working an big trucks...

Stan,

You didn't mention anything about the replacement of the windshield? Thor replaced mine under warranty along with some of the same insulating you did and my readings came down to 82-83 decibels while going up hill from 5,000 feet to 7,000 feet at 65 mph.

Hope you can now enjoy "leisurely" traveling in your RV.

Evergreen49
Old 05-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

THOR #1812
Evergreen-windshield,thankfully,has not been an issue with my Vegas ( yet ?). My post on w/s wipers became a discussion of windshields, but not mine.

Glad to hear you had similar results on your improvements....