Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 03:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Waste Water Tank Heater Switches on Monitor Panel

My 2018 30FE have two switches for Black and Gray. The other switches on the monitor panel work. I switched them on the other day and went out to feel if they were on but couldn’t tell. There’s no light indicated on the panel. I researched headed pads and it said that it came on at 46 degrees. The temp was above 46 when I checked. Guess I’ll check when temp is 40 to verify. Does anyone know if the 30FE have working tank heaters?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Heated tanks

I have a 2017 30FE with the same concern. My manual states the holding tank compartments are heated by the furnace duct work. It will heat the tanks when the furnace is operating. I believe this is a standard statement generic to all Thor manuals. My monitor has two covers where the rocker switches go for the black and grey water tank. They do not work like the other rocker switches. There are no heated pads and no duct work to heat the holding tanks. My unit must have slipped by the quality control section of Thor when it was built. That is one reason I will not use my unit during the winter time. Is it possible to add heating pads to my holding tanks without too much cost?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Heating Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
I have a 2017 30FE with the same concern. My manual states the holding tank compartments are heated by the furnace duct work. It will heat the tanks when the furnace is operating. I believe this is a standard statement generic to all Thor manuals. My monitor has two covers where the rocker switches go for the black and grey water tank. They do not work like the other rocker switches. There are no heated pads and no duct work to heat the holding tanks. My unit must have slipped by the quality control section of Thor when it was built. That is one reason I will not use my unit during the winter time. Is it possible to add heating pads to my holding tanks without too much cost?
We have heating pads on our 2017 Quantum. They are visible and attached directly to the black and grey water holding tanks. We paid extra for this as a upgrade. Did you pay for those or were you expecting to get them as a standard item? We have not used the heating pads yet so I cannot say how the switches work or at what temp they come on at.

As for the fresh water tank we have a heater duct that runs into that compartment area. If the heater runs it would also heat the fresh water tank.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Heated tanks

I was expecting the heating pads to the tanks to come standard. I would like to see a diagram of the duct work for heating the tanks since my manual said the tanks were heated by the furnace.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
Heating pads cost $30+ but last 1 year. Not sure if this is the best way to heat them.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Model: Ace 29.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #9094
Heated ducts

On ours the duct from furnace is in side where sewer hookup is opposite side of of holding tanks same bay tanks and duct
Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The generic Thor manual covers all products. Your 30fe does not have holding tank compartments like class 'A's do, thus no furnace ducting. Your tanks are exposed and hang underneath. The 30fe should have come with tank heaters, the fe line is a package without options. Look under your unit, you should see the heat pads. When you find them, see if they are firmly attached. Many come loose and need reattached.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild bill View Post
On ours the duct from furnace is in side where sewer hookup is opposite side of of holding tanks same bay tanks and duct
You are saying theirs is a duct on the other side of the sewer hookup forvehichbmodel class c? You can see from underneath? Can you take picture?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
We are talking about the original posters Class 'C'. No ducted heat from furnace to holding tanks. Wild Bills is a Class 'A'. Much different.