Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #16494
Wat kind of inverter should be on a 2019 Vegas 24.1?

We are new at this, having purchased a new Vegas 24.1 The problems we have had do not go to Thor, but to the selling agents and their mechanics. For example, we purchased it knowing that the front windshield needed replacement and were "promised" to get it done in three days. After 20 days we found out (a Thor call) that it had not even been ordered.

So, you are dealing with a "newby" and would like to use this forum for some of the things (like propane and whether to shut it off for gas refills; we do!) but others that probably have been answered before.

The question on point today deals with solar.

We added 100 watts of solar to the unit but wonder if we did the right thing. Does the Vegas 24.1 come with an inverter, and not the charger?

Should an inverter be added, or installed where the charger is? And if so, what should be the inverter equipment be that would take care of those things that the solar might be installed for?

Not just being newbies, we are really rather old to get into this and find that there are many things that we could learn.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #2

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl jim View Post
We are new at this, having purchased a new Vegas 24.1 The problems we have had do not go to Thor, but to the selling agents and their mechanics. For example, we purchased it knowing that the front windshield needed replacement and were "promised" to get it done in three days. After 20 days we found out (a Thor call) that it had not even been ordered.

So, you are dealing with a "newby" and would like to use this forum for some of the things (like propane and whether to shut it off for gas refills; we do!) but others that probably have been answered before.

The question on point today deals with solar.

We added 100 watts of solar to the unit but wonder if we did the right thing. Does the Vegas 24.1 come with an inverter, and not the charger?

Should an inverter be added, or installed where the charger is? And if so, what should be the inverter equipment be that would take care of those things that the solar might be installed for?

Not just being newbies, we are really rather old to get into this and find that there are many things that we could learn.

Another old newbie following this topic
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our little Madhouse!

Let's see...
Chargers convert 110 volt power to 12 volt power
and inverters do the exact opposite...

So your charger takes the power from your panel, and charges your batteries.
The inverter then allows your batteries to provide that power to your 110 volt "stuff" in your RV.
At least that's how I think it works...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
IMHO the only ones that "really" need an inverter are those that have residential refrigerators that cannot be operated on anything other than 120VAC. Depending on one's use of an RV, replacing a converter/charger with an inverter/charger may only serve the purpose of relieving one of their hard earned dollars. If you have a bunch of money looking for a new home I'll gladly PM you my address for forwarding the check.

The first question that requires an answer is "How do you intend to use the coach"? After that question is answered you can start developing a list of priority mods and needs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Vegas/Axis Inverter Install

Everything you need to know about installing an Inverter in a Vegas/Axis is here:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ries-8741.html

(Or use the search function on this Forum)

Also on Finding Our Happy, here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...x_A6fFbJU_ZquQ

(Click on Videos section to see everything you’d ever need to know about Vegas/Axis)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
My 2016 Vegas 24.1 did not come with an inverter. I added one so Grandson(s) can watch TV when generator is not needed for cooling.

Was a 750 watt unit we carried in tow vehicle. Never got used there, only used once on a NC trip in Vegas.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
A) look at 'solar' as just another 'power source', or effectively, another method to help recharge the House batteries - the batteries that provide you 12v power to your lights, fans, water pump, furnace fan, slides, steps, levelers, etc., and even a 12v TV if your rig came with one. BUT, don't look at 'solar' as some magic pill that somehow relieves you of needing anything else to do all these things - as solar is way too dependent on one thing: Sun. It's not always there, it's not always 'out' when you need it, and your simple one or two batteries are not going to be able to 'hold' a lot of 'solar' for when you need it overnight, if you do. Solar is fine when the sun is out, not so much after dark.
And, solar doesn't 'power' anything in your rig directly, it simply helps to charge your House batteries - 'help' being the proverbial term...
Solar is also expensive for the little benefit you may ever actually realize from it...

B) You certainly have a CONVERTER, which provides you direct power to your 12volt items that are normally powered by the House batteries, when you are plugged into Shore Power. The converter also charges your House batteries during this time.

C) An inverter simply does the exact opposite of a Converter, it 'inverts' or 'changes' 12v battery power into 120volt Electricity for your devices and appliances and computers and things that 'plug in' to household outlets. Some of us may have 'whole house' Inverters that give us power to all outlets when we are off-grid, or traveling, even to the residential fridge, the microwave, etc., but the vast majority of RVs don't have this, if they have any Inverter at all - it is more of a 'new' option for many RVs, and mainly only those with the 120volt residential Fridge onboard.
Some of these inverters are smaller, and ONLY power the fridge.
Some are larger and might power the fridge as well as a TV and another outlet.
Some are very large, require many more batteries, and can power most everything that is 120v in the coach.
Chances are, for YOUR needs, you can easily purchase an Inverter, called a Power Inverter, off the shelf at w(mt and auto parts stores... anywhere from 120watts up to 1000watts, though a small simple one that plugs into your 12v outlet is probably very sufficient if you are simply wanting to watch a TV, and a DVD, or even satellite TV while you have no Shore Power or don't want to run the Generator. Some of the larger inverters you may find also can attach directly to your House batteries, just like jumper cables, if you'd rather.
I have the smallest power inverter w(mt sells, at 120watts, and plug it into my car's 12v power port and run my satellite receiver, TV, a small fan, and charge my phone all at the same time.

D) Your generator is your friend, use it, you paid for it! The generator is a magnificent machine, and very cost effective for the little gas it actually uses to provide you all the 120v power you need to run everything, even at the same time, in your rig - it's just like being plugged into shore power, except you can have 120v power ANYWHERE you go.

In essence, your rig already comes with so much of what you already need for successful and comfortable travel and camping - use what you have and get accustomed to your systems before you run out and spend MORE money on things that you may find were'nt the 'magic pill' you though everyone said they were. : ) Enjoy.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was thinking about adding a wind turbine...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #9

THOR #16494
Windmills, why not?

Seeing as though you just thought about the answer you made on a previous post - what makes you think that windmills might work?

Somehow or other you seem to have forgotten to include your site plans for these windmills.

Thank you for your interest, though. Will pass on your suggestions until they might contain a more cogent rationale.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #10

THOR #16494
Sarah and I would like to say HELLO and a hearty thank you for the responses. We are not newbies to the very high cost of repairs and modifications that we rendered to our Road Trek 210. That was the reason why the question that was posed (and even more thanks to TurnerFam for laying out the problem so well).

We won't be doing the repairs ourselves, as age has crept up and silently slipped me a mickey. We wanted a newer, and slightly larger RV, to cover those days left.

We just got back from a 5,000 mile journey to visit Sarah's family and they were spread from Chattanooga to St. Augustine to the headquarters of the 3rdMarineForce in Pensacola. We had only one problem, a massive leak over her (or under) bed.

I am now a disabled Korean War veteran but Sarah still can work wonders with our new RV.

Semper Fi, my new found friends!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl jim View Post
Seeing as though you just thought about the answer you made on a previous post - what makes you think that windmills might wor:
Why not? If you can squeeze electricity out of something: you can stuff it into a battery...
It comes down to figuring out the "how's".
Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #12

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
C) ...Chances are, for YOUR needs, you can easily purchase an Inverter, called a Power Inverter, off the shelf at w(mt and auto parts stores... anywhere from 120watts up to 1000watts, though a small simple one that plugs into your 12v outlet is probably very sufficient if you are simply wanting to watch a TV, and a DVD, or even satellite TV while you have no Shore Power or don't want to run the Generator. Some of the larger inverters you may find also can attach directly to your House batteries, just like jumper cables, if you'd rather.
I have the smallest power inverter w(mt sells, at 120watts, and plug it into my car's 12v power port and run my satellite receiver, TV, a small fan, and charge my phone all at the same time.
THIS is where my head is at, especially since I am only three months into this journey that I hope will last a couple of decades. If we want to watch some TV at night before bed, and we like the sound of a nice big fan while we sleep, I would have to believe that what you are suggesting would work just fine for us. If we get further along and we discover, "...wouldn't it be nice if we could...?", then we'll adjust and consider a little larger, more permanent installation.

If there's something I'm missing here, please feel free to chime in, especially before we leave on a 4000 mile trek next month!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You're correct in starting small.
We carried one that just clipped to the battery terminals and ran an extension cord where we needed it. It would sit right on the top step while we used it.

I've moved on to top shelf inverter and ags because the 24.1 is mostly a travelling mods experiment but the little 1500w clip on would power the microwave or coffee pot just fine as long as the engine was running.

I recommend the little inverter over a big inverter.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:15 AM   #14

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You're correct in starting small.
We carried one that just clipped to the battery terminals and ran an extension cord where we needed it. It would sit right on the top step while we used it.

I've moved on, since the 24.1 is mostly a travelling mods experiment, but the little 1500w clip on would power 5he microwave or. coffee pot. just fine as long as the engine was running.
Since these small units actually have cig lighter plugs, could we use the 12V outlet in the bedroom upper cupboard? This is where we are going to be using the TV and fans, etc.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 AM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
For TV and fan, yes 12v receptacle is fine. It's not fine for coffee or microwave or hairdryer and such.

(I didn't find the water tank drain you did, and I haven't found the 12v outlet. I'll have to take a look for it)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #16

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
For TV and fan, yes 12v receptacle is fine. It's not fine for coffee or microwave or hairdryer and such.

(I didn't find the water tank drain you did, and I haven't found the 12v outlet. I'll have to take a look for it)
Got it. Thanks, d!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #16551
We have a 2016 Axis 25.2 and are also interested in having an inverter installed. We would like to do more boondocking than RV parks. I also use a CPAP at night. Don't want to run a generator all night and the only thing that works are the lights unless the generator is running.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #18

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYmom View Post
We have a 2016 Axis 25.2 and are also interested in having an inverter installed. We would like to do more boondocking than RV parks. I also use a CPAP at night. Don't want to run a generator all night and the only thing that works are the lights unless the generator is running.
I don't know what year they started doing this, so forgive me if it was after 2016.

In my 2019, in the rear upper cupboard in the bedroom (driver's side), there is a 12V cigarette plug. It is very well hidden and you would not even see it unless you climbed up there and stuck your head into the cupboard! It is specifically to have a CPAP machine with continuous power. Check it out, if you haven't done so already.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #19

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYmom View Post
Start with this video...
https://youtu.be/TjpDesjsME8

There are three videos in the “Finding Our Happy” website that’ll show you how to do a simple Inverter install in a Vegas/Axis.

PM me if you can’t find/access the other two videos
Old 08-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #20

THOR #16494
I receive a message regarding the previous post and I believe that there has been an answer that might cover the matter. Not knowing the amperage of the CPap machine I really could not answer this alone - but the information given has usually been quite good.