Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Weboost Drive 4G-X RV install on Thor vegas 24.1 2018

Hi,
I just purchased a Weboost Drive 4G-X RV
https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv
and am planning my install.
I will do a dry/test install first before drilling any homes.
I plan on the following install after dry testing.
-Install antenna on rear ladder rack.

-Drill hole in rear right side of ladder rack that will enter into storage bin.
-Install antenna wire through RV hole and seal with silicone caulk. I will loop the wire downward so water will not drain into hole as per Weboost directions.
-Install Weboost amplifier inside rear left storage compartment above bed.
-Splice power off of 12V LED light. The Weboost uses 8W, so at 12V its 0.7 Amps of power- much less than the fuse rating (which i think is 15A)
-Install interior antenna somewhere near booster. Maybe inside cabinet or outside depending on testing.

The biggest risk is when i drill through the RV and that I hit a power wire. I dont think there are any power wires located in that area- but I will drill a bit at a time and visually check.
Any comments/suggestions?
Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna-outside-install.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	15281   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside-cabinet-weboost.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	15282  

Name:	LED-light.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	15283   Click image for larger version

Name:	light-splice.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	15284  

Old 01-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Sound like a good plan.

But keep in mind the inside ant only has like a 10 foot long cord and your phone will work best when its on top of the ant.

I installed mine last summer and I hooked it up behind my TV (along with WIFI Ranger) so I have plenty of cord for the cockpit/ dinning area.

I drilled right next to the TV ant. (like 1/2 inch). So it dropped it down in the right spot for me plus power was close for the hookups (hard wired 12v). Just use dicor and you will be fine. I didnt want to see anything on the side of my Axis.

I will try and post a few pics of the install when I can.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Plus the outside and inside ant have to be like 20 feet part from each other in order to work correctly.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Sound like a good plan.

But keep in mind the inside ant only has like a 10 foot long cord and your phone will work best when its on top of the ant.

I installed mine last summer and I hooked it up behind my TV (along with WIFI Ranger) so I have plenty of cord for the cockpit/ dinning area.

I drilled right next to the TV ant. (like 1/2 inch). So it dropped it down in the right spot for me plus power was close for the hookups (hard wired 12v). Just use dicor and you will be fine. I didnt want to see anything on the side of my Axis.

I will try and post a few pics of the install when I can.
Yes - please post a few pics. I am interested in how you mounted the antenna to the roof as it seems that it has to have something to clamp onto.
Also- would the 20 feet distance from the driver seat (where i will be using phone) to the repeater antenna (located in the back of the RV) be too long for the amplifier to work well?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Yeah, I set the inside ant right next to the phone (like inches to one foot way), I can move like a foot or two and loose one bar on the phone. Very senstive.

But I gain two bars overall with weboost on vs off.

I know they say to look at the "dB meter" for the true signal streath but I never have (yet). I just look at the bars on the phone.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Here are a few pics. I put my TV on a swivel last winter that way you can see the TV better from cockpit and dining area. Plus that gave me room to setup (can assess) the area behind the TV for the Weboos and WiFi ranger. Worked out sweet for me.

Looks like to WiFI ranger is not on the screen on this one. I will try to find more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	15285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	15286  

Name:	IMG_4751.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	15287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	15288  

Name:	IMG_4702.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	15289  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Here is a pic of the wifi ranger too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4701.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	15290  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #8

THOR #10717
Oh- i see how you re-used the hole for the TV antenna coax cable coming into the RV. I like that idea better than drilling another hole.
Was it difficult to get to the wire when you fished it down into the RV from the roof?
Also- where did you splice off the 12V from, or did you just hook up directly to the battery under the steps?
I might do this instead so I can have the distance between the outside and inside antennas.
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #9

THOR #12231
very easy, I drilled rigth next to the TV ant wire but it was in the existing dicor bed and I just added more to the top to cover everything.

Well you want the power to go off when you flip the store switch at the steps you dont want to hook it up directly to the battery.

It took me like an hour to find 12v power that I could use for both Weboost and Wifi Ranger. I think I tapped into the ant power wire so it was close to my install area. I tried to tap into the power wires at the tank level control board then the booster switch but nothing worked out like I wanted so I went to the TV booster wire (I think - I dont have the RV outside to double check).
Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

THOR #10717
Quote:
very easy, I drilled rigth next to the TV ant wire but it was in the existing dicor bed and I just added more to the top to cover everything.

Well you want the power to go off when you flip the store switch at the steps you dont want to hook it up directly to the battery.

It took me like an hour to find 12v power that I could use for both Weboost and Wifi Ranger. I think I tapped into the ant power wire so it was close to my install area. I tried to tap into the power wires at the tank level control board then the booster switch but nothing worked out like I wanted so I went to the TV booster wire (I think - I dont have the RV outside to double check).
Thanks so much for your help- i really appreciate it.
I think i will also try to tap off the antenna booster that is located in the cabinet above the kitchen. That should be easy to remove and look into.
When you run the wire through the roof where did it pop out? Did you have to remove part of the roof panel?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
Thanks so much for your help- i really appreciate it.
I think i will also try to tap off the antenna booster that is located in the cabinet above the kitchen. That should be easy to remove and look into.
When you run the wire through the roof where did it pop out? Did you have to remove part of the roof panel?
NO problem. I tired to ant booster witch as well but for some reason it didnt work out... I think no ground? Dont waste your time with it. Check the two wires going to the Ant booster right behind the TV.

No, just drilled right next to the ant wire on the roof. Took all of 10 minutes to drill dow like 3 inches (until you could feel the drill fall into the hole), feed though then cover with dicor. Then I covered the inside side of the hole with some caulk or spray foam?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Follow
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
NO problem. I tired to ant booster witch as well but for some reason it didnt work out... I think no ground? Dont waste your time with it. Check the two wires going to the Ant booster right behind the TV.

No, just drilled right next to the ant wire on the roof. Took all of 10 minutes to drill dow like 3 inches (until you could feel the drill fall into the hole), feed though then cover with dicor. Then I covered the inside side of the hole with some caulk or spray foam?
I connected to the ANNTENA BOOSTER 12v to connect two USB outlets, one for our WIFI HOTSPOT, and the other for future use. Of course, our MICROWAVE is above the stove, so taking it out gives LOTS of access to wiring.

One question, are you using the WIFI booster for places with PUBLIC WIFI? I have read that bandwidth sucks at CAMP GROUNDS, but don't really have any first hand experience..

I live and die by my connectivity. So far our HOTSPOT has preformed really well (but still need at least an outside LTE antenna or WEBOOST...)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:46 AM   #14

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I connected to the ANNTENA BOOSTER 12v to connect two USB outlets, one for our WIFI HOTSPOT, and the other for future use. Of course, our MICROWAVE is above the stove, so taking it out gives LOTS of access to wiring.

One question, are you using the WIFI booster for places with PUBLIC WIFI? I have read that bandwidth sucks at CAMP GROUNDS, but don't really have any first hand experience..

I live and die by my connectivity. So far our HOTSPOT has preformed really well (but still need at least an outside LTE antenna or WEBOOST...)
Yes, you can boost the CG signal plus it will give you a firewall and your own private network that you can connect all of your devises to.

You can park down the block and pickup WM or Starbucks really well. Plus you can use in conjunction with a MIFI to somehow speed up your connection (I think?). It will also switch back and forth between Wifi ranger and MIFI so your almost always (within reason) have internet. It works geat with WeBoost.

These two devises are a must for me if I want to work on the road.

You can check your cell phone only and see like 3 - 5 wifi spots, turn on Wifi ranger and have 20+! No joke - it pulls them in from about 2 miles away! Some are free and some private of coarse.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #15

THOR #10717
Thanks for your help @Long & Winding road
I followed your guidance and the install went really well. I mounted the antenna to my ladder on the rear and drilled a hole in the roof next to the antenna. I then used the weboost adhesives on the roof and the sealed the hole w/ lapseal. I mounted the amplifier behind the tv over the door and then attached the 12V power wire to the antenna amplifier. That was a bit of a pain to access/get. See pics below.
Thanks for the help, the amp works great. I have not yet figured if i want to permanently mount the indoor reciever or leave it loose as i get better service when its closest to my phone or jetpack.

Notes about the photos:
1st photo: black wire from ceiling is websoote amp
2nd photo: just ran the 12V power wires directly into lead for antenna amp for testing. I cut and replaced the pink connectors and ran both wires into the crimp of the connectors.
3rd photo: upside down
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0413190946.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	16654   Click image for larger version

Name:	0413191058.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	16655  

Name:	0413191752.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	16656  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Job well done
Old 08-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #17

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
How long hole saw to go through the roof of axis over the door where my tv is to mount WiFi antenna anyone know
Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #18

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
How long hole saw to go through the roof of axis over the door where my tv is to mount WiFi antenna anyone know
For the roof I just used a regular drill bit. I found one slightly larger than the coaxial cable. Once installed and done I then just sealed the roof with dicore.