Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #12247
four winds 31y slide out

I purchase a 2018 31y and notice daylight under the kitchen sink when the slide is extended . I am concerned about critters entering the RV and doing damage.

My dealer said that’s the way it works and said if they covered it the plumbing lines would get snagged when retracting the slide. When I sent pictures to Thor they said they didn’t really see what the problem was..

The are two rubber flaps that don’t cover well anyone have a fix for this

The pictures are looking from inside under cabinet and on on the outside under the slide.

Anyone else see this as a problem or have a solution. I have a couple of ideas but am seeking input from the experts . This my first motorhome and we are loving it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60781085-2381-4401-B01C-709D2C500C53.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	14285   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F4E3510-0FD3-4C3E-8FEC-E3ACC911471D.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	14286  

Click image for larger version

Name:	47AE6A8B-7841-42A6-A62D-84084E5BC461.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	14287   Click image for larger version

Name:	8096D117-CBC1-4965-A0B6-179932085058.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	14288  

Old 11-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Given that is on the bottom of the slide and it will only be out when you're camping I don't think you'll get any critters in there (unless you full time and the slide is out a lot). The larger issue with this, to me, is what that does for heating or cooling. You'll have to address that if you want to do any winter camping.

Before I would do anything to cover it, etc. I would watch what all the plumbing and wiring does as the slide moves in and out. Then design your solution to account for that.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I think all of them are like that...well at least these type.

I red flagged it on my PDI, and I think the dealer addressed it fairly well just as an effort to shut me up. Only did it on one of my slides though. Later I noticed it on the other slide too, and when I asked my local dealer (not the selling dealership) to fix it, after researching they refused pointing out that this is the way they come from the factory. I used to have it on my list of things to do, but never came accross a material to use and so it has fallen of the list....just hasn't been a known problem in our use.

Anyway, I can't find a picture and the thing is in storage, so....
basically what they did was take short pieces of the wiper seal used on the top and verticals ...that stuff that's maybe 3-4 inches wide...and screw a wiper flap the frame covering these two points under the slide. Not complete and perfect, but not bad in my thinking.... maybe you could run with that idea and improve on it.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #4

Model: outlaw
State: Florida
THOR #4137
I noticed this when we purchased it and the dealer added the rubber protector pieces.