Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2019, 01:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Why not 12v TV’s

Hmm. A lot of tv’s are 12v but there are updated to 120volt. Why don’t RV manufacturers just use 12v for greater flexibility?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:50 AM   #2

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
I assume the cost, Jensen 40" LED Television - 12V DC $456.91 on Amazon

My first motorhome, a 1994 Coachman had a 12v tv and a 12v vcr.

I actually was thinking of running the bluray play direct from a 12v supply and eliminate the wall adapter
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I think you will get noise from your converter if you are on shore power
Old 07-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
12v tv sets are expensive, not common, and don't typically come in 'larger' sizes that so many of us expect... of course, you could replace yours with a 12v unit, but you'd also then have to run 12v power to it... another project!

Ours has a 12v Jensen in the bedroom, even though I doubt it's ever been 'used' specifically on the 12v input since we have a 'whole house' inverter, which powers all the outlets, so it's never really 'seen' only 12v power, even though, of course, that's what it 'uses' all the time, just thru the fuse panel, versus the breaker box.
Until recently I didn't even realize that it was really only a '12v' tv since I never needed to use it when only on '12v' power.

It's interesting also, that the tv is mounted at the ceiling, on a ceiling mount, and has a 120v outlet behind it, but with nothing plugged in : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
All 3 TVs in my prior Class C (SunSeeker) were Jensen 12VDC. Didn't get any converter noise off any of them.

The reason 12VDC may not be installed is they are not needed (nor the additional expense) if an inverter is installed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
I actually was thinking of running the bluray play direct from a 12v supply and eliminate the wall adapter
I've done this with no issue - specifically bought a bluray that accepted 12v in - and its never met its wall wart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Haven't had any issues like this... In addition to the bluray, I added a 12v TV to bedroom for use when boondocking (no built in inverter in my rig, and preferred the direct 12v plug in to inverting 12v to 110, then transforming 110 back to 12v...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
12v tv sets are expensive, not common, and don't typically come in 'larger' sizes that so many of us expect... of course, you could replace yours with a 12v unit, but you'd also then have to run 12v power to it... another project!
Size was a challenge - which is why I 'added' and not 'replaced'... Many with external transformers seemed to run on 19-24V. But found one a little smaller than the 110v that was on board.
The 120v TV is mounted from factory on front of a 'swing up door' - I mounted the 12v on a 'swing down mount' attached to the back side of the door... 12v power was already passing through the cabinet for lighting.
When we have 110 - you never see the 12v TV.
When on 12v, flip up the door lifting the 110v TV out of way, and flip down the 12v TV from back of door.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Easy, economy of scale reducing cost and easy of acquisition for 120VAC products.