Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2020, 12:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
Wire rats nest under bed

Has anyone attempted to clean up the mess under the bed? Not sure why I even looked, but glad I did. Not only do 2 wires wrap around the drawer sliders (just waiting to be cut or nicked), but there is a orange and white wire, just kind of hanging around. Not sure what they go to, but the will be cap properly. Then hang 2 some kind of junction box's. Maybe someone would have had even a little pride in their work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6257.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	22307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6260.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	22308  

Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 AM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Pride... Not even a little bit! I'm sure they ALL look this way. FYI, don't look under the dash. :O
Old 01-24-2020, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post
Has anyone attempted to clean up the mess under the bed? Not sure why I even looked, but glad I did. Not only do 2 wires wrap around the drawer sliders (just waiting to be cut or nicked), but there is a orange and white wire, just kind of hanging around. Not sure what they go to, but the will be cap properly. Then hang 2 some kind of junction box's. Maybe someone would have had even a little pride in their work?
The wiring harness for each model of coach made by plant gnomes in the wiring shop. Each model has an actual size, color coded, peg board and with a bag of terminal plugs. The harshness is installed before the floor and the ends are pulled up through the accesses. Instructions are no wire is to be spliced, lengthened or shortened without approve of the engineering staff. If your coach does not have every option offered for your model coach, you will have extra wires. All this is to avoid wiring mistakes by the house assemblers on the floor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:05 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Yeah, that mess under the bed causes professionals to have nightmares.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Pride = time. Time = $$$$$. Thinking = Time. Time = ........I think you get the picture.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The orange and white wire may be for the pre-installed solar hook up on the roof.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #7

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Our Miramar is the same way. At some point, I'll go in and clean it up - probably when I'm troubleshooting something or installing solar. Regarding the Orange and White wires, I agree with The Gritz Carlton - I tracked down ours and I recall those being the colors I found. The wires should be 10Ga, which should be stamped or printed on the side of the wire (in case you didn't know already).
Old 01-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

That lower compartment is the fresh water tank. You can see the sensors and verify water levels with ease. The water pump is in wet bay; so no noise at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200125_173147.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	22338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3682.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	22339  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That lower compartment is the fresh water tank. You can see the sensors and verify water levels with ease. The water pump is in wet bay; so no noise at night.
So your nest of wires is located in another location besides under the bed? Yeah, mine is too; under a side table in the living area. I've tried to clean mine up but there are too many intertangled bundles to do much without cutting and re-routing too many wires. The best I could do was figure out what wires went to what systems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So your nest of wires is located in another location besides under the bed? Yeah, mine is too; under a side table in the living area. I've tried to clean mine up but there are too many intertangled bundles to do much without cutting and re-routing too many wires. The best I could do was figure out what wires went to what systems.
That is very good question? I have not seen yet. I remember focusing under the bed because of the Firefly in the 27B. One unit had wires everywhere and slides were wired backwards as Retract pushed it out and the reverse for bring it in. slides went out. I normally try to handle basic electronics but with that unit it was no wayyyyyyy!!!! The OP pictures brought back memories.

I will have to look and see what I can find. The AC circuit breakers are all under floor in an outside compartment on driver side. I do know there are thick power cords under the full wall slide that move back and forth with the slide, but I have not seen anywhere you could access. There are things like hot water heater & kitchen sink in that area. (Strange place for electrical) There are DC breakers under one bench at the Dinette table. I have seen Inverter outside in compartment on awning side; so I suspect the converter would have to be close to those DC breakers because that bench is in coach up top from Inverter?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-26-2020, 02:13 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Cool

I once worked in a company that built huge control panels for industrial machinery, water treatment plants and theme parks. We labeled both ends of each and every wire (and some panels had over a thousand wires), neatly bundled each run and zip tied the bundles every 8" and secured them in raceways. Wires were all color coded by gauge of the wire. We actually found that assembly and maintenance was quicker and easier when everything was neatly arranged.

All of which explains why I damn near threw up when I saw the "explosion in a spaghetti factory" wiring under the bed in our rig.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #12

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post

Looks like a drunk monkey ran the wires. Yes I couldn't stand it having had a career in Aircraft Maintenance. I zip tied them. Take a look under the coach. Its just as bad. Hanging down loose, did same there. Like the other person said under the dash is just as bad. If you get a chance watch a video of Leisure Travel Vans Factory and see how they run wiring. Pleasure Way also. Aircraft quality wire looms. THat's why Thor is cheap.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #13

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Our wiring under the bed is also a cluster
Old 01-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
They all are....so what? If everything works OK, just leave it be. Or, buy an airplane and fly everywhere you go.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
I hate to say it but yours looks pretty good compared the the mess I have. It's on the list of things to do. Once we are home for a longer period of time.
The underside is the same, I have zip tied many wires and hoses ,
I did mention it to the Tour guide at the Windsport plant as well as the Thor Rep at the RV show. Not hat I expect any action on it.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #16
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Pride... Not even a little bit! I'm sure they ALL look this way. FYI, don't look under the dash. :O
Or under the dinette seat...
Old 01-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #17

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
They all are....so what? If everything works OK, just leave it be. Or, buy an airplane and fly everywhere you go.
Really leave it be. No that is smart. Dont see how you can defend this shoddy workmanship. Like P.T. Barnum said............
Old 01-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #18

Model: Chateau Sprinter
THOR #16446
The undercarriage of my chassis was the same. Wires not bundled, loose, hanging down and wrapped around the chassis manufacture wiring harness. I'm glad it id only a short Class C, only took me 2 hours to clean up.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #19

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabo View Post
The undercarriage of my chassis was the same. Wires not bundled, loose, hanging down and wrapped around the chassis manufacture wiring harness. I'm glad it id only a short Class C, only took me 2 hours to clean up.
Safety Hazard, Hey but guy replied just leave it. Really?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Safety Hazard, Hey but guy replied just leave it. Really?
Oh to be fair, he gave an option to buy an airplane and fly

I don't know he meant it in respect of leaving a safety hazard, but I think more so of not doing more harm than good by trying to re-route the wiring? If you got one of those Firefly systems and short something out you could be asking for big trouble. I don't know how the RV mechanics figure out what is going where with all of the clutter, but they figure it out. I think the larger point may have been that if all of the Thor's are like that, the Service people are use to dealing with it. Unless you plan to fix the wiring issues yourself, the Service techs may charge you the same whether you have cleaned it up or not. Simple tie wrapping of the obvious not withstanding.