Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
Question Wiring in the Challenger

You guys have been very helpful to new Thor owners and I certainly appreciate it. I have two questions for today:

1) I would like to straight-wire my EezTire TPMS so I don't have to use the cigarette lighter. It is simple enough to remove the dash, only 4, maybe 5, screws. I had to do it a few weeks ago to plug the mirroring cable into the back of the radio. My question is, is there a "best" place to wire it in or do I just splice it into something? I want to make sure when the engine shuts down, power to the monitor also shuts down.

2) We always seem to have more electrical devices that we have receptacles for them. In the Challenger's cockpit there is a duplex receptacle on the wall next to the passenger's seat. There are two duplex outlets over the entertainment seating on the passenger's side. The problem is on the driver's side. There are no receptacles from the cockpit all the way to the galley. That's the entire front half of the coach on the driver's side. If I want to add a component to the entertainment center, or plug in my computer, or anything else there is no place to do so on the driver's side. I know there are outlets under the entertainment center. Does anyone have experience or ideas about adding outlets inside the entertainment center cabinets?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Wiring for your TPMS

Easy way to power your TPMS is with a Piggy Back Mini Blade Fuse Holder. It will allow you to run directly off the fuse box in your coach. I did it to add an extra 12v adapter and my TPMS. Easy peasy

About the wiring. You can probably just run a box 110 outlet directly off the passenger side 110 outlet (in our Challenger this also runs off the inverter). I would simply run wiring in back of the dash (even put in a PVC conduit).

JMO
Old 02-21-2016, 05:08 AM   #3

THOR #2871
Great! Thanks for the help.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 02-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Robert

If you use a 12 VDC test light you might be able to find a blank switched fuse in the fuse box and then wire into it. I am planning to something similar on my coach and my experience with Ford is there is always a spare location or two in the fuse block. Normally there is at least one switched and one unswitched.

Have you looked for a 110 outlet behind your fireplace? My coach has a 110 outlet (not tied to the inverter) in the cavity behind the fireplace which the fireplace is plugged into. I have to remove an access panel to get to it. You might be able to relocate that box for better access.

Looking at your floor plan I believe you should have at lease 2 100 outlets in the area. One should run off the inverter for the TV and the other should not come through the inverter for the fireplace.

The weekend I was on the hidden treasure hunt armed with a cross tip screwdriver and zip ties, I also found that behind my fireplace is the splitter for the cable/antenna cables. Since they were just dangling in the breeze hitting against anything in their path, I took out a trusty zip tie and secured them to a cabinet support.

FWIW I am considering installation of a pop up power station on my dining area countertop and plugging it into the outlet for the outside TV which is hidden behind an access panel in the cabinets below. Although I have outlets on the front of those cabinets I don't like wires running across my legs when I am sitting in the chair. This is what I am considering installing.

Us Plug Aluminium Alloy Shell Tensile Type Pop up Power Desktop Kitchen Socket Kitchen Plug Accept Customization - - Amazon.com
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

THOR #1183
Our early 2015: passenger outlet is on inverter - very usefull when on the road - just don't every use it for heaters, two outlets behind fireplace - one on inverter and one not that is for fireplace, inside cabinet on right of fireplace top left side are two more inverter outlets.
If you eventually plan on more driving gizmos like dash cam GPS, etc. think about adding your own fuse block wired to battery thru a dash switch. Setting up camp flip one dash switch and all nav stuff is off.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

THOR #2871
Thanks, Dave. Some good ideas. I really like that pop-up outlet. Will have to check that out. I know about basic electricity and can install outlets, ceiling fans, switches, etc. to existing boxes. Have never "added" a box. What tools, devices do I need to make sure I have correct wires, voltage, etc. and don't get electrocuted? Any suggestions on what to read would be very much appreciated.
2015 Ford Focus