Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Wrestling with Sumos

I have been in the process of installing Sumo springs on the front and rear of my 2015 Axis 24.1. I recently installed the Safe-T-Plus and the front Sumo springs. That process was relatively easy to do and I accomplished the tasks quickly. I was amazed at how easy the front Sumo screwed into place. Then, I started on the install on the back axle. Granted, the rear install is a little more complicated due to the nature of the design, but WOW! I got the wheels blocked and chocked, jacked up the back end and put it on stands, took off the driver's side wheels and started to go over the instructions for the umpteenth time. Everything looked fine EXCEPT good old Thor has welded a support bracket to the frame exactly over the spot where the upper Sumo bracket attaches. UGH!!!
I sat in the driveway with my head up in the wheelwell and uttered a few expletives, measured, more expletives, more measuring, and got to work. I was able to use a 4" angle grinder to remove enough of the support bracket that the Sumo mount notched into place. The support kind of "sits" on the Sumo mount, so there's no lack of integrity. The rest of it was just as described in the instruction sheets. Angle grinder to the rescue!
On the down side, I was only able to get the driver side Sumo mounted last night. I'll do the passenger side tonight. Wish me luck.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I have always hated to spend money on labor when I thought I could do it myself. But after reading your post I am glad I dropped the $600 plus to have my Sumos installed. Good luck and I hope the rest of your install goes okay.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserdude67 View Post
I have been in the process of installing Sumo springs on the front and rear of my 2015 Axis 24.1. I recently installed the Safe-T-Plus and the front Sumo springs. That process was relatively easy to do and I accomplished the tasks quickly. I was amazed at how easy the front Sumo screwed into place. Then, I started on the install on the back axle. Granted, the rear install is a little more complicated due to the nature of the design, but WOW! I got the wheels blocked and chocked, jacked up the back end and put it on stands, took off the driver's side wheels and started to go over the instructions for the umpteenth time. Everything looked fine EXCEPT good old Thor has welded a support bracket to the frame exactly over the spot where the upper Sumo bracket attaches. UGH!!!
I sat in the driveway with my head up in the wheelwell and uttered a few expletives, measured, more expletives, more measuring, and got to work. I was able to use a 4" angle grinder to remove enough of the support bracket that the Sumo mount notched into place. The support kind of "sits" on the Sumo mount, so there's no lack of integrity. The rest of it was just as described in the instruction sheets. Angle grinder to the rescue!
On the down side, I was only able to get the driver side Sumo mounted last night. I'll do the passenger side tonight. Wish me luck.
Interesting on the welded bracket. A couple of suspension items I looked at would give a part number for the F53 and then qualify that with "except Thor). When I called to inquire why I was told Thor oftentimes places body mounts where suspension component upgrades would normally be installed. They stated that is not always the case but it happens enough to warrant their "except Thor" disclaimer. If I remember correctly Firestone Ride Rite air helpers are an example of this.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

Model: Challenger LX
State: Nebraska
THOR #6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserdude67 View Post

I had the same issue with my Challenger 37LX. I did the same thing you did with the grinder. No issues so far. God willing I won't ever have issues. How's yours been since you completed the job?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

THOR #6698
dstankov: It makes complete sense to me, now.

Devildog: I am going to install the passenger side assembly tonight, I'll let you know as soon as I road test and get a feel for the upgrades.

To all:
I took notice of a few things while I was underneath my Axis:

1. It sure is nice to have a newer coach, it has so little rust or grease or grime on the undercarriage. It's so easy to work on when bolts and nuts aren't seized and you can actually see everything!

2. If you haven't looked under your machine, no matter how new or old, do so now. I see wires hanging down from the tank heaters and various other items that could possibly get caught on road debris or other hazards. I'm going "zip-tying" when I finish installing the Sumos to make sure nothing happens to my wiring.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Can you post some pictures of the install?

A picture of the slit you made to the support?

Visual learner here
Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

THOR #6698
I'll try to take a few pics of the modification when I do the passenger side install tonight. It's not so much a slit as it is removal of a portion of square-profile metal tubing that is welded vertically to the frame to support a horizontal floor support structure. I just removed some of it, so there is still a part of it welded to the frame providing structural support.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

THOR #6698
Here are the pictures I was able to take during the installation process. I hope they are enough info. to answer any questions I may have raised.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

THOR #6698
Here are the pictures I was able to take during the installation process. I hope they are enough info. to answer any questions I may have raised.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1 - Ford E-350
State: Florida
THOR #14429
regarding rear sumo install

Mauser - 4 years later have you had any issues with how you cut the flooring supports to install the rear Sumo's? My RV tech is telling me about the same issue as he attempts to install Sumo's on our 2015 Axis. trying to help him troubleshoot. thx!
Toad: 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Blue Ox Alpha
Cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Mauser,
GREAT pictures!
Bud light?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooch View Post
Mauser - 4 years later have you had any issues with how you cut the flooring supports to install the rear Sumo's? My RV tech is telling me about the same issue as he attempts to install Sumo's on our 2015 Axis. trying to help him troubleshoot. thx!
Mauser has not returned to this site since April 2019. My opinion is I would never cut that much of that support bracket without welding in more support.

Just my opinion. Nothing more.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
These are the rears I used on my E450 (1st photo)
These fasten on the frame inside the leaf springs, above the axel
They replace the rear bump-stops

On my install, I had to fabricate a 1” spacer block that sits on the axel. (The 2nd photo below shows the Sumo sitting above the spacer block when the hydraulic levelers are extended. Normally have direct contact)

Sumo has since made changes for the rear like the one pictured above and one other style that is offered.
Both of the newer styles have a much higher price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECC8D25F-CECC-40DF-9A6F-2EFF91847D17.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	29305   Click image for larger version

Name:	B97D8156-8AC2-46F8-8C02-3D4D647482DA.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	29306