Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 12:57 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I use a similar Craftsman portable air compressor from Sears, 110v. No tank, it will pump up my Vegas tires just as fast as the small tank compressor I had before. Easy to store, easy to run from the A/C from the generator. It will last long after Sears is a memory. About $45.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sears Air Compressor.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	14927  

Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 AM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I carry one. But I am a full time RVer. I can air up my tires, use a nail gun and air for detail cleaning.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:36 AM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #1863
Air Compressor

I just got a VIAIR and would like to get a convertor to also use 110v. Any help is appreciate on what to get and how to hook it up.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 31Z
State: New Jersey
THOR #14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I carry one. But I am a full time RVer. I can air up my tires, use a nail gun and air for detail cleaning.

I will be a full timer as well, and I did think it was a good item to have on hand.

A nail gun? Like a trim nail gun? I can already see where that may come in handy, during my walk through I noticed the trim around the bed was bowing, but they shot a few trim nails in it for me. LOL
Old 01-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #25

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by elovese View Post
I just got a VIAIR and would like to get a convertor to also use 110v. Any help is appreciate on what to get and how to hook it up.
https://www.amazon.com/NeeKeons-110V...B12v%2Bdc&th=1

Not sure which Viair you have and its amp requirement, most seem to be on a 20 amp fuse. When you go to the link you can buy a lower amp for less but make sure it is enough for what you need.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #26

State: Texas
THOR #1863
Air Compressor

It's a Viair 450P RV. I was told it needs a 30 amp draw. Any info will help. Thanks, Ed
Old 01-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #27

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by elovese View Post
It's a Viair 450P RV. I was told it needs a 30 amp draw. Any info will help. Thanks, Ed
That link I posted was for a 30 amp power supply
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #28

State: California
THOR #7805
I bought the Viair 12v compressor plus another hose and chuck w/gauge. Doesn't take much space and works fine. Day before we leave I check the tires. They usually need a few pounds. Takes a few minutes to set up but the peice of mind os worth it.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #29

State: Arizona
THOR #10885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
A lot of folks do carry compressors.
I've never felt the need for one... If I end up with a flat tire: I'm calling for someone with "Big Truck", and let them change it for me.
Since the compressor should probably be able to inflate an RV tire with ease: any compressor that you carry, should probably have at least a 125 psi capacity. That usually does make for a pretty large dent in your storage capacity...
But if you're carrying a small one for air mattresses and inflatable cushions:
That is what I thought until I was in line at the Black Ball ferry in Victoria, BC heading to Port Angeles, WA. When the guy ahead of me let me know one of my front tires was almost flat. The ferry attendant was nice enough to let me on or else I would have been stuck in Victoria for another day or two. When I got to Port Angeles I called AAA and they sent a truck out to fill my tire. The next morning I took it to Les Schwab Tire where they replaced a defective valve stem (for free-I'm so lucky ). i'm rethinking traveling without a compressor since we don't have a spare (no where to stow it).
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #30
JJR

State: Tennessee
THOR #12731
Check out RVprojects.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard2112 View Post
Again, I did a search 1st, and nothing came back, so I apologize

I was planning on bringing my pancake compressor and tire chuck and air gun with me, is this worth having on board, or just a waste of valuable space??

Thoughts??

Thanks.
Checkout rvprojects.com
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #31

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #12802
I have a harbor freight pancake compressor, but it would not get my MH tires above about 85 lbs. I bought a Viair 450P-RV, and it easily inflated all six tires from 80 to 110 lbs without overheating.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #32

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
After reading several posts and feedback on Amazon, I bought this Porter- Cable. I let 10 lbs of air out a front tire and refilled it within a minute. Then did it a second time. Worked great! Oh, it's quiet too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porter-Cabl...53.m2749.l2649
Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #33

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Hers what I use. 1.8 cfm@90 psi. Fits under the back bench of the dinette behind the cat box.

We carry the exact same one.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 AM   #34

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Portable air compressor

Last November we were preparing for a two-week trip to Texas. I decided to purchase an air compressor to take with us on the trip. When we left South Florida the temperatures were in the mid-80s, three days later when we arrived in Texas the temperatures took a dramatic turn down into the mid to upper 20s. Over the next several days we had snow and ice storms! Later that week while preparing the motorhome to leave to head north into Oklahoma I was doing my routine checks to prepare to leave like oil level, lights and tire pressures. Upon checking the tires on the motorhome I discovered that they were about 10-12 pounds lower than normal at about 70-72 psi and the toad tires were about 5 pounds down each or 28 psi. I got out my new Kobalt 12 V/120 V portable air compressor and plugged it into the RV park 120 outlet. I set the digital pressure gauge to 82 PSI and began to fill the tires on the motorhome. I was able to walk away and attend to other duties while preparing the motorhome to leave. The compressor would just shut off when the correct pressure was reached and I would put it on the next tire to be filled. After filling all six tires on the motorhome, approximately five minutes each tire and the four tires on the toad I was quite impressed with the performance of the Kobalt tire pressure gauge! It never slowed down, or overheated while filling 10 tires in a row!
I sure am glad that I purchased this little powerhouse compressor! I may not use it very often, but it is very comforting knowing that I can count on this great little compressor if needed. At about $45.00 it is well worth the price! I’m not sure how well it would work on a RV tire that is almost flat from a leak, but for maintaining correct pressures while traveling, it works great!

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #35

Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Compressed air can be very handy...

I drive a DP with a great compressed air system and I still carry a "pancake tank" air compressor. I top off tires, blow out window frame drains and other sundry cleaning tasks. At the house I have air tools.

On my first DP I got Nasties growing in my fuel tank. That Freight Liner chassis had a in-line fuel strainer up in a bad spot in the fuel line routing, way before the fuel filter. I had to clean it to keep moving on a 800 mile trip. I couldn't get help. I couldn't use the built in compressed air system because it bled off too fast. I blew that strainer out 10 times before I got the Nasties removed from the tank. (2000 miles) Ever since then I've carried a compressor with a large enough tank to blow something out. It just comes in handy way too often to not have it. (I use fuel biocide in my diesel fuel tanks too)
If your rig has sliding windows you will find that if you don't keep the frame drains clear, your windows will start "leaking" when it rains. You can blow the drains out with "canned air", but it does not go very far.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #36

State: Nevada
THOR #10325
I have had a small compressor in my basement in our last rig and now our new rig, it just makes life easier for me to plug it in and top off the Rig tires, Jeep tires and blow out the basements. It is a matter of comfort and choice.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #37

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
We carried one in our fifth wheel but have much less room now. So the last two years we haven't carried one and I am less than comfortable. I think I will find something to toss out so I can carry one again.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #38

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Tennessee
THOR #6584
Air Compressor and Search

I carry an Air Compressor because I am extremely anal about the tires blowing out on the road. I had to install a TPMS as well and that has saved me more than once for the MH as well as the TOAD.
There was a post some months back on this subject. I have used the search here but could not find it as well as other things I am curious to learn. Seems that the Search doesn't!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #39

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: South Dakota
THOR #12005
I carry a pancake compressor. Lite, takes up little space. I also use it to blow my water lines out as I get closer to home in the winter. It’s nice to know it’s there for our towed vehicle.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:34 AM   #40

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingerosa View Post
I carry a pancake compressor. Lite, takes up little space. I also use it to blow my water lines out as I get closer to home in the winter. It’s nice to know it’s there for our towed vehicle.
I have the Harbor Freight one listed. Rated 150 i believe. Works good. Les Schwab and Discount Tire will fx for free, so youll remember them when buying tires. [emoji1]