Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Air Conditioning Reliability?

I'm at a campground in Kissimmee, Florida and the weather forecast is for highs in the low 90's and lows around 75 degrees for the next week. I've got my dog with me and I'm wondering if I can depend on my AC running nonstop for who knows how long? (2016 Thor Vegas) with a single AC unit. Anyone have any experience with this? I've never been in a situation where I needed to run the AC for days on end.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #7494
I ran the AC on our Axis non stop for 16 days on our vacation in June. From panhandle florida to dallas texas, then to Minnesota and back to florida. Ran it both on generator while driving and plugged in when staying with family.
We didn't have any issues.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Well, it's summer in Florida

I've been in Maine and NH when it's been really hot too--too hot to leave my pup without the A/C on. You could have power failures in thunderstorms, which typically come in the afternoons in Florida. We use a Temp Stick we ordered on line, and leave it with our wifi hotspot in the Coach. It will notify us when the temp reaches a certain point. The new one to be released soon also notifies when power goes off. There are other options as well to monitor temps when you are away.
The A/C should run as long as you have power, but it might be hard for it to keep up with the heat and high humidity of a Kissimmee summer day.
Bring your coach down to 70 overnight, so it has a running start to keep the coach cool during the day, and plan on checking your pup every 3 hours from 11am til 6pm.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

THOR #6999
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out the Temp Stick. Sounds like something I might need to invest in.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When I lived full time in SC the AC ran for several months at a time during the summer for several years, never had a problem. Every spring I pulled the covers and did a through cleaning, paying particular attention to the drain holes.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
We were at Fort Wilderness the beginning of July... Was quite warm then too - A/C ran most of the time to keep the four legged one cool while we were out and about...

Had no issues - but did have a Temp Stick keeping an eye on things for me... Never alerted - and the app allowed me to check on things when I wanted... Default reporting is once an hour... I reduced it to 15min for that stay.
Didn't expect issues - but the ability to KNOW the A/C was still going and keeping up with the heat helped out...
(Both A/C's running and partially shaded site).

Buying direct from companies website was cheaper than Amazon at the time - and I had it in 2 days (USPS Priority on them).
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #5440
To answer your question about reliability, we had a phantom issue with ours. During our first shake down cruise, the air conditioner on our 2016 Axis 25.2 went out. We were camping in 90+ heat in the summer. During the drive to the campsite, the AC ran OK on generator. It also ran fine plugged into the campsite for about a day. Then all of a sudden I heard a strange noise at 2am coming from the roof. I finally realized the AC wasn't blowing. I can't remember the noise exactly, but I remember thinking it was like the AC was trying to engage, but the blower never kicked in. Called Thor in the morning and they had me try/check a few things and finally said I would have to take it into the shop. We continued to camp for 2 days without AC (I occasionally tried the AC with no luck). Of course, as soon I took it to the dealer for repair, the AC started right back up. They kept it for a week and couldn't find anything wrong. We've been RVing in the AXIS now for 1.5 years in hot weather from AZ to FL and the AC continues to work. I hate phantom issues and I worry about the AC breaking down all of the time with our dog inside. We'll definitely be getting a temp stick before our next trip!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #8

THOR #6999
We've been in Kissimmee now for four days. The AC runs continuously from sun up to sun down and can't keep up. I turn the thermostat to about 73 or 74 for the night and then down to 70 during the day. Once the sun gets up high enough the AC can't keep up. The temp sensor in my car reported an outside temp of 96 this afternoon and it almost got to 90 inside the coach. Then around 6pm it started dropping and now (8:30PM) it's down to 80. Last night the AC finally shut down a little after 9 and would come on for maybe 10 or 15 minutes every hour. We'll see what tonight brings

BTW, the fridge is having trouble keeping up now also. I just had a bowl of ice cream that was almost soft serve. Last night is just a little bit soft. Our site has no shade and I'm sure that's adding to this issue.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
RV AC units are designed to run continuously. You won't damage one by running it too much.

In Florida, and anywhere else that it is sunny and hot, shade is your best friend. That and good window shades. Besides the front roll down screen, we have a big car-style reflection sunshade from CW that we put in the front window on hot, sunny days when we're parked. On the 3 bedroom windows, car shades work fine. Could use the same car screens cut for the center side windows.

Some have purchased a roll of the reflective material and cut to fit each window. Some have purchased pricey front screens. We are satisfied with the cheap route we went. The pull down curtains and the window knobs do a pretty good job of keeping them in place.

It is amazing how much having reflective screening in the windows helps control the heat. Reflective screening has been discussed thoroughly on this and other forums, so try a search.

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, hot weather