Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Kbs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum pd31
State: Florida
THOR #12223
Remote home router reset

Hi
Anyone come up with a method to restart home router while on the road? Ours lost power and didn’t come up nicely. The modem is up but the router is doa...
Is there a router brand that allows remote start without .... the router ..?.
We have cameras and other home security items connected, but now no connection... thoughts from the community are appreciated

Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is there anybody back at home, that has the keys to your place? Perhaps they could go in, and you could talk them through the process...
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Hi

Anyone come up with a method to restart home router while on the road? Ours lost power and didn’t come up nicely. The modem is up but the router is doa...

Is there a router brand that allows remote start without .... the router ..?.

We have cameras and other home security items connected, but now no connection... thoughts from the community are appreciated

Best to have it on a really good backup supply. The problem is you don’t have internet connectivity to remotely access any device that would remotely start it. If the router is down your access is off. You could have redundant routers and internet connections but that is costly. Only cheap option would be to put a timer on the power supply and have it shut off and restart every day. The problem with power outages and electronics is usually the quick power off then on which can corrupt settings. Brownouts are also bad. Either way just make sure you have a good ups on your electronics to avoid this.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
A good UPS is your best bet but sometimes even that won’t do the job. Three years ago, we had a bad ‘Nor’easter hit our town in Maine and we lost power for over 24 hours. My UPS kept everything up for about 8 hours but that was it.

I had a friend go over and try to reboot the router but it just wouldn’t sync back up. We tried for about two hours and tried everything we could think of. No Joy. We finally gave up and he left, but he left with everything powered on. Two months later, we had another power outage and that did the trick. Don’t ask me what changed in the ensuing 2 months but something did.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:18 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
I fault with Linksis, TPLink, NetGear, D-Link hardware and pretty much lost the battle every time. Had enough of firmware updates that would dump configuration or brick the unit, port forwarding configurations that were obscenely difficult to set up, inability to maintain design data flow and bandwidth, slowly loosing WiFi range and bandwidth and so on. In other words I had enough.

(Que the storm clouds parting, golden rays of sunshine, a rainbow bow in the distances with butterflies and throw in a unicorn)

And then I got an Apple AirPort Extreme and life has been good ever since. Closing on the third year of service and not one hiccup, drop out, programming failure, nothing. It justs sits there and performs day after day. Power losses have never been a problem. It boots right up like nothing happened once power is restored. I can stream on as many devices as I want along with multiple HD security cameras, a network DVR and network storage server that we can access remotely, Fire Sticks all over the place and everything always works.

One word of caution, you have to have some type of Apple device to configure it. Be it a Mac, iPad or iPhone. The configuration application no long supports a Windows environment (go figure). I also have two AirPort Express routers hardwired to the Extreme that I use to extend the wireless network. Older home with real 1/2" think plaster walls (and probably leaded glass windows). WiFi doesn't carry real well to all parts of the homestead.

Apple stuff ain't cheap but it always seems to work. My router was refurbished so about half the price as new but still a chunk of my disposable budget for the month. But well worth it.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Sweetbriar, unfortunately Apple has discontinued all of its router products. In the future I'd suggest that you check out the Synology routers. Like Apple, they are expensive but they work. And work well. Alternatively, Amazon's eero mesh routers are also pretty good.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #7

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
I use the timer solution and have the router reboot daily at 1 am. Another possible solution if you are an Xfinity/Comcast subscriber is to reboot router via xfinity website.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrimmer View Post
I use the timer solution and have the router reboot daily at 1 am. Another possible solution if you are an Xfinity/Comcast subscriber is to reboot router via xfinity website.
Yep - external timer is the solution.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:29 AM   #9
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
THOR #12223
Router

Hi
Thought about the daily reboot option. Might try a device that pings the internet and if it gets no response shuts down power and restarts. Found it on amazon. Msnswitch.
Thanks for the input
K