Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Bad dog etiquette

Sitting in the front passenger chair of my coach this morning early. Camper down a few sites (Allegro pulling red PU from Illinois), came by with his dog on a leash. My Harley Trike is covered and parked in front of my coach. I watch as he lets his dog stop next to the back street side of my Trike. I had just been outside to check things over and I am hoping the dog was just smelling my tire and cover.

I pour some coffee in my cup and step outside. When I walk around to the street side of the Trike I see his dog has peed all over my cover and the bottom of the tire. The dog walker is only about a half a block away so I walk toward him and holler "don't let your dog pee on my bike again, okay?". He turns and says that another dog was peeing on it and not his. I just laught and explained to him I was in the front seat of my coach and watched him and his dog. He again denies it and starts to turn to return to his coach. I let my anger take over and tell him he is a %*#%@#% liar and it better not happen again. Threats are made and he returns to his coach. I get out the purple cleaner and hose and clean up his mess so the next dog won't be tempted to pee in the same spot.

Why didn't the guy just apologize right from the start and offer to spray the mess off my bike? I still would have cleaned it up myself but after letting his dog do it in the first place why lie about it? I guess everyone isn't a friendly camper and it isn't the "brotherhood" we sometimes think it is.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Very disappointing but unfortunately see it all the time not only in CGs. My wife and I lived in Europe for over 10 years and we only see inappropriate behavior by American pet owners, whether it is aggressive dogs or disrespecting property or boundaries.

Maybe we need to start a website for campground etiquette violators where we can post people's pictures on there in shame. Kind of the the people of Walmart but for Campgrounds.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Outright shame the guy would allow his dog to do that and then lie about it too. Think I would have done the same thing you did in this situation.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Bad Dog Etiquette is not confined to Campsites. We were at Myrtle Beach the past week and watched a pet owner allow his dog to poop on the sand (up near where the tides do not reach) and all he did was just push sand over the top of it!

As a pet owner that takes care of "dog doings" it really is annoying as the few that do not act responsibly really stand out.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #5

THOR #5246
My rude neighbor and his partner just came out of their Allegro to walk four additional dogs! They walked down the other road away from our site so I didn't have to go out and stand by with my garden hose. Traveling with 4 cockers and a mixed breed I guess they have their hands full but I still am not excusing his behavior.

I went down to give the park office a heads up just in case someone else came in to complain. The manager said these wonderful folks were pulling out today anyway. We are not making our way south until Sunday so at least I won't have to deal with this idiot again. Okay, now I am really done venting. On to enjoying the rest of our day!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
My rude neighbor and his partner just came out of their Allegro to walk four additional dogs! They walked down the other road away from our site so I didn't have to go out and stand by with my garden hose. Traveling with 4 cockers and a mixed breed I guess they have their hands full but I still am not excusing his behavior.

I went down to give the park office a heads up just in case someone else came in to complain. The manager said these wonderful folks were pulling out today anyway. We are not making our way south until Sunday so at least I won't have to deal with this idiot again. Okay, now I am really done venting. On to enjoying the rest of our day!
We travel with our cat .. nuff said about that....however, we have several friends who travel with dogs and I walk for exercise with them...each of them carry poop bags with them and make sure their pet does all jobs in appropriate locations !
Campground etiquette in all categories should be observed...cannot excuse those who have no etiquette...some folks just don't know and don't care...but, hope you educated that fella so he knows what NOT to do in the future. I guess we are raising a whole new set of campers !

Safe travels to you and yours !

k
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Welcome to America.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Sorry, can't agree with you

Quote:
....cut....

Why didn't the guy just apologize right from the start and offer to spray the mess off my bike? I still would have cleaned it up myself but after letting his dog do it in the first place why lie about it? I guess everyone isn't a friendly camper and it isn't the "brotherhood" we sometimes think it is.
Have you considered that maybe his dog really didn't pee on your trike, and just stopped there to smell what another dog or animal had done previously? Or after?

Since you didn't see his dog pee on your trike, I would have personally let it go. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, however small that may be.

The last thing any of us wants to do is accuse an innocent person of wrongdoing. That can escalate into violence in a heartbeat. Trust me on this, injustice is such a hot button with some individuals that their reaction can be extreme. You are lucky the guy walked away, because he could just as easily turned around and demanded an apology from you. And then what would you have done? How far are you willing to escalate?

It's not worth getting killed over.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #9

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you considered that maybe his dog really didn't pee on your trike, and just stopped there to smell what another dog or animal had done previously? Or after?

Since you didn't see his dog pee on your trike, I would have personally let it go. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, however small that may be.

The last thing any of us wants to do is accuse an innocent person of wrongdoing. That can escalate into violence in a heartbeat. Trust me on this, injustice is such a hot button with some individuals that their reaction can be extreme. You are lucky the guy walked away, because he could just as easily turned around and demanded an apology from you. And then what would you have done? How far are you willing to escalate?

It's not worth getting killed over.
I hear what you are saying. Problem with thinking that way was that it was just before 7am and there was not a soul moving anywhere in the park. A lot of permanent local sites here. When I went out to look at the street side of the Trike urine was still dripping off the cover onto the ground. So I guess during the 15 to 30 seconds it took me to reach over and fill my coffee cup and step out the door another dog could have ran around my coach, peed on my Trike, then dashed quickly out of sight......but that just did not seem logical to me after watching what I actually saw.

He could have asked for an apology and I would have told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Being a retired LEO with years of experience talking with suspects I actually found his reaction to be more of how a guilty person would have responded when caught in the act.

The gentlemen was about my age but a little bigger. He could have been 20 years younger and twice my size and it would not have mattered in my actions. I am not going to allow a rude individual to do something like that to my property without calling him on it. As far as him escalating the situation, that would be up to him. I would prefer to keep it a verbal exchange but it certainly would not have been the first time some idiot attacked me.

People react to things differently. I have been retired for over 4 years and have not raised my voice in anger until this happened. I would have done the same thing if I had been sitting in my window and watched him allow his dog to pee all over a neighbors Harley and Harley cover across from me.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut....

He could have asked for an apology and I would have told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Being a retired LEO with years of experience talking with suspects I actually found his reaction to be more of how a guilty person would have responded when caught in the act.

.....cut....
I suppose circumstantial evidence has its place in the legal system, but I personally see it more of a short-term necessary evil that should be used with much caution. Long term it causes more harm than good because it erodes a society's civility little by little.

A LEO may be able to push boundaries more (not that I think they should), but as a private citizen for any of us to accuse a "potentially" innocent person in public, and call him a liar, is just a bad idea. And size has nothing to do with it. The guy could have been a 90-year-old grandma and I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt. Not because of who's more powerful, but because it's the right thing to do.

You have LEO experience. I have experience with wrongly accused. It's still not worth it to escalate violence over dog pee.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Chance...I agree with much of what you're saying. There is indeed too much road rage and other unnecessary violence going on in the world today over a lot of trivial stuff; but I have to side with Joe-Fl on this one. You can't allow someone to run over you and take advantage. If it was his dog that did this (and it rightly appears as if it was), maybe he'll think twice before allowing him to desecrate on someone else's belongings next time. The old Golden Rule applies here.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
What happened is this particular case (did the dog pee or not pee) doesn't change the fact that many dog owners show no respect whatsoever for fellow campers' space or property. If you are going to walk your dog, take it at a brisk pace out of the camping area, and away from areas where other campers frequent. We just returned from a few days camping. Every morning and evening there were people with dogs on long leashes being led by owners letting them wander slowly and stop wherever they wanted including in other camping spaces. You can't convince me they care where it pees. They just want to get it over with and get back inside. Obviously not every dog owner acts this way, but it only takes a few to cause the ill feelings. We travel with cats that stay indoors. I have been tempted to follow some of these inconsiderate campers back to their camp and present then with a bag of used cat litter.

Ken
Old 09-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Very disappointing but unfortunately see it all the time not only in CGs. My wife and I lived in Europe for over 10 years and we only see inappropriate behavior by American pet owners, whether it is aggressive dogs or disrespecting property or boundaries.

You're joking, right? I also have been to Europe. Nastiest places in the world when it comes to aminal deposits, expecially France and Italy. NOBODY even curbs their animals much less cleans up after them. Paris even has some guys on motorbikes going around with special vacuum systems trying to make it so you can at least walk somewhat safely.

Bill
Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #14

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

You're joking, right? I also have been to Europe. Nastiest places in the world when it comes to aminal deposits, expecially France and Italy. NOBODY even curbs their animals much less cleans up after them. Paris even has some guys on motorbikes going around with special vacuum systems trying to make it so you can at least walk somewhat safely.

Bill
I don't think it is a North America or European thing. It is a matter of local social values which vary widely from one locale to another on both continents.

Unfortunately, in this case, RV travel takes people from one locale to another where customs and expectations vary. I believe that is part of it. People behave in what would be normal in their own area in an area where people feel entirely different about it.

Ken
Old 09-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I suppose circumstantial evidence has its place in the legal system, but I personally see it more of a short-term necessary evil that should be used with much caution. Long term it causes more harm than good because it erodes a society's civility little by little.

A LEO may be able to push boundaries more (not that I think they should), but as a private citizen for any of us to accuse a "potentially" innocent person in public, and call him a liar, is just a bad idea. And size has nothing to do with it. The guy could have been a 90-year-old grandma and I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt. Not because of who's more powerful, but because it's the right thing to do.

You have LEO experience. I have experience with wrongly accused. It's still not worth it to escalate violence over dog pee.
Well sir, I must correct you on one thing, I am 100% a private citizen. I have no "special" powers and am just like any other retired person traveling in an RV.

Let me provide you with an example that could easily relate to you and see what your reaction would be. You return home from an extended RV trip. As you pull into your driveway a "scruffy" young man runs from the back of your home with a pillow case that is full of something. You quickly enter your home to find the rear door kicked in and some valuables missing. Of course you will be calling the police. But are you going to inform them of the young man you saw running from around the back of your home? I can promise you that they will try to immediately locate him and I would venture a guess they will accuse him of possibly burglarizing your home. But wait, what if he was just out for a run and happen to like running with a pillow case full of stuff. There is no real physical evidence even linking him to the crime, nor is there any video. What to do.......
Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I have been tempted to follow some of these inconsiderate campers back to their camp and present then with a bag of used cat litter.

Ken
Ken...I have plenty of used cat litter too ! Which, by the way, being a responsible pet owner...dispose of in the proper receptacle, in a sealed bag !
But, I like your thoughts !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #17

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ken...I have plenty of used cat litter too ! Which, by the way, being a responsible pet owner...dispose of in the proper receptacle, in a sealed bag !
But, I like your thoughts !!
We always put all our waste in sealed bags. We follow the same requirements when camping that we are required to do at home. Anything in the garbage must be in a closed plastic bag and all animal waste must be double bagged.

However If I was presenting cat waste to someone as a reward for their behavior, I would leave the bag open so they could savor the fine quality.

Ken
Old 09-27-2016, 10:42 PM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
We always put all our waste in sealed bags. We follow the same requirements when camping that we are required to do at home. Anything in the garbage must be in a closed plastic bag and all animal waste must be double bagged.

However If I was presenting cat waste to someone as a reward for their behavior, I would leave the bag open so they could savor the fine quality.

Ken
gotcha !! I knew what you meant ! and figured you are one of the good guys !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Welcome to America.
No, NOT welcome to America.... there are people that don't take responsibility for themselves all over the world.... Get the word out, on forums like these. For all of us that are dog owners (we have three little ones...) that if you walk your dogs, make it a habit to have your bags ready for action. I was walking mine one time at the north shore of the Salton Sea where I forgot mine. Of course, one of my minions decided to take a dump so as I was walking to a public restroom to at least get some toilet paper, a non-dog owner camper gave me a plastic bag which I thanked him for as I picked up after my dog. Get the word out, take your bags with you... no excuses.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:43 AM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
We have 2 boarder collies and first thing in the morning while out camping we make a bee line to the woods where no one else is at or walk to often. Or boy will only do his business in taller grass so no one can see him and our little girl will do it right at our camp site and don't care. Either way we always clean up #2 and #1 is never where any one else is at.