Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque NM Need Advice

Mates-
Me and the DW are planning on taking the Ace Thor to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque NM next Oct 2016. Unable to find a reliable forum... decided to pose the question here. Any advice, tips and gotchas, really appreciated.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #2

Model: Citation 24SR
State: New Mexico
THOR #2570
Good for you! It's an amazing experience. I live in ABQ so I haven't experienced it in an RV. I can say that if you stay in an RV park away from the festival grounds, I highly recommend taking a park & ride to the grounds. The traffic is way too crazy with too many lines to drive to the grounds. So if you want a good campground and plan to drive to the fiesta, park and ride is the way to go. There are a few nice RV parks around. But as far as the fiesta and ABQ go, rule number 1 is plan early. And if you think it is too early to worry about something, forget that. Things sell out, book up, fill up, etc. way in advance. Second thing that gets a lot of people is the weather. It can be very chilly in the mornings, so you will need warm clothes and layers. Every time I've been on the field in the morning I have heard so many people who couldn't enjoy the experience because they were freezing. It can be near freezing in the morning. Also plan on staying a while if you can. The weather runs the show, and I always feel so bad for people who have one day to visit the fiesta and if the wind isn't right, nothing flies. And see some of ABQ while you are here! It's got a lot to offer - but, again, plan way ahead. If I can help you with anything related to the city or the festival itself, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
While I would not encourage you to leave this forum in this case there is an excellent forum for what you need. Both forums have there strengths. The forum for your interest int he ABQ Balloon Fiesta is the Escapees Discussion Forum. We went last year with the Escapees Boomer Group and had a ball. We were encouraged to volunteer at the Fiesta with the group (not required) and it completely changed our experience - for the better. The Boomers are there right now and DW is getting daily updates from them and, as usual, they are having a blast.
They stay in the fiesta RV park with several hundred other RVers. No traffic issues as you walk to the events across the street and there is a big empty space among the RVs where some balloons land every day they fly! It is dry camping but for $10 you can get a pump out and fresh water - not from the same truck. We had the service once.
You can join the SKP forum for free and get plenty of info between now and then!
Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I grew up in Albuquerque..."go Hornets" (Highland High).

While in Albuquerque be sure to take the trip up to the Sandia Crest via the Tram. Dress accordingly as you will be right at 2 miles high when you reach the Crest.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote