Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Kitchen storage solutions

i thought it might be nice to post up ideas and experiences about RV kitchen storage solutions - there's a lot that can be done to save space and weight.

A couple of years ago I asked all my friends to save tic-tac containers and used them to make awesome spice storage. They pack up in a small tin pencil box and go into my home freezer when not in use (between trips) and allow us to have a large selection of spice on the road with very little storage space used.

Check this out:

Name:  tictacs.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  14.2 KB

original idea here: Repurposed TicTac Boxes for Travel Spices | Seattle Sundries

Do you have any cool storage solutions?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Slightly different storage solution for me, but I found that there was some available storage space behind one of the baffles Thor installed.

Original Baffle:

When I removed the baffle, I found a little triangle area:

I think Thor put the baffle in there as directly behind it is the main slot for the slide out that has electrical, gas, and water lines going through it. In the photo, you can perhaps see where the water lines go through the floor - that is where the slot is. And if a can of soup fell into that slot, then it would jamb the slide out.

It sure would have been nice if Thor had taken the time to route the wiring and lines to towards the rear of the cabinet rather than just haphazardly taking the closest route to the appliances. If they had done so, I could have recovered at least two or three sq ft of space. But that would have meant doing a quality job and that is not gonna happen.

So what I did was to use some 1/4" plywood and using box joints (an advanced but probably unnecessary jointing technique), I created a new "baffle" that still prevents a can of soup rolling into the slide out mechanism, but gives me a bit of storage room.

I didn't gain a lot of storage space for sure, maybe about 1sq ft., but every bit helps.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Something we also do is pre-preparation of meals.

For example, meals that require scrambled ground beef, we do that task at home before leaving, and put the meat in a zip lock storage bag into the freezer. We also pre-cook chicken that we might use for Chicken Caesar Salads and so on.

Any preparation we can do at home means we can enjoy camping without having to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

We also de-fat the ground beef (put it underwater overnight in the 'fridge) prior to initially freezing it, so we are eating a bit healthier.

We even make some meals completely ahead of time. For example, if we have Chili, we make it at home and put it into the freezer. When it's Chili day at the campground, we put it into the dutch oven and cook it over the campfire.

Besides, Chili tastes a lot better if you let it age a day before eating.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post

We also de-fat the ground beef (put it underwater overnight in the 'fridge) prior to initially freezing it, so we are eating a bit healthier.

Besides, Chili tastes a lot better if you let it age a day before eating.
Interesting, I have never heard about doing this.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
We like to pre-cook everything (ground beef, chicken, bacon, etc) and freeze in quart size freezer baggies. Easy to re-heat on the trip.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
That is so cool! Love it. (Tic tacs)

FW. nice mod! I had the cover off the furnace this winter to replace the HDMI cable and noticed a huge potential storage space - which could be easily accessed with a simple hinge! I have more than enough space for now so it is a future project!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:34 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #1616
We found a lot of space under the dinette seats. We had to take out some screws on the seats. Nothing is stored there yet but I plan to put extra bedding for company in space bags and store it there out of the way.