Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Coleman Roadtrip grill

I looked at the Coleman roadtrip grills at Camping World a d a sharp parts guy told me ( in the nick of time) you can't connect to the built-in port on our motorhome with this unit. The grill needed has to be a Low Pressure type. Otherwise you have two regulators in line and so the grill won't light. I found that from a video that a company named Propane Gear has a different hose kit with correct fittings for Coleman grill so you can use it with the MH connection. I ordered both things. Has anyone out there tried this system? Does it work ok?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Regardless of what grill you buy if it has a regulator built in you have to plumb it to your rv before the rv regulator or remove the grill regulator.
Not sure what kit you ordered, but unless it's added be fore the rv regulator the Coleman grill still won't work with it's regulator still in place.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:02 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6100
I converted my Coleman Roadtrip grill to connect to the RV quick connect propane and it works great. I ended up buying the fittings through Amazon instead of that kit, but the end result is the same and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #4

State: Tennessee
THOR #10893
Ronmonica can you tell me what you bought to adapt your Coleman?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

THOR #10883
Grill hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisrv View Post
Ronmonica can you tell me what you bought to adapt your Coleman?
The key seems to be the fitting at the end of the stoves regulator. It is NOT a npt (normal pipe thread) fitting! Coleman uses a particular thread , maybe just so it's difficult, so that fitting is what you are paying for. The hose is just a common quick connect hose.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: Since there seems to be a lot of low-pressure grilles available; is this a case of just using what you've already got on hand?
I was able to buy a low-pressure setup at CW, and will just dedicate it to Motorhome grilling duties.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1520279499
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grille.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	9277  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

THOR #6100
The two fittings I bought from Amazon were:

1) Anderson Metals Brass Tube Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow, 3/8" Flare x 3/8" Female Pipe

2) E-BAYKER Propane Hose Adapter Connector Fitting 3/8" flare M x 1/8" MNPT Fits Propane Single Burner Outdoor Camp Stove Propane Gas Cooker Appliances for LPG Propane Tank Gas Hose - 100% Solid

There is a good YouTube video on this conversion:

Bob - for me, yes it was a case of wanting to use the grill I already had.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #8

THOR #6100
Ellisrv,

The two fittings I got from Amazon are:

1) E-BAYKER Propane Hose Adapter Connector Fitting 3/8" flare M x 1/8" MNPT Fits Propane Single Burner Outdoor Camp Stove Propane Gas Cooker Appliances for LPG Propane Tank Gas Hose - 100% Solid Brass

2) Anderson Metals Brass Tube Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow, 3/8" Flare x 3/8" Female Pipe

There is a good video on this topic on YouTube:

Bob, for me, yes this was a case of using what I already had.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #9

State: Tennessee
THOR #10893
Thanks! That will work!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #10

THOR #10883
If you notice in the video he says that the fitting use a special thread from coleman. Then he proceeded to use a standard NPT fitting. It will go in a few turns ,but if you tighten it much it will ruin that fitting. #2 he removes the check valve in the Coleman fitting. WRONG! The check valve is there to prevent a flame from getting back to the hose and your RV!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11393
I acquired this on eBay to connect a Coleman LXE to my quick connect on my 29FE. Seems it has everything I need. Any advice?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Roa...72.m2749.l2649
Old 05-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Didja ever wonder why CW sells all kinds of grills that won't hook up to your MH setup? Or why they don't have the necessary parts to adapt all those grills they sell that won't hook up to your MH setup so that they will? So many people just getting into RVing don't have a clue about all the technical aspects to be considered. They just want a grill that they like to use on their trips.
My new weber charcoal grill:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weber go anywhere.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	10234  
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #13

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I have a road trip grill that I used on my previous tt. All I did was to unscrew the regulator off the chrome pipe, bought a ten foot hose with the quick connect to trailer , cut off the other end and slipped it onto the chrome pipe with hose clamps. Worked great. When I traded up to the outlaw not equipped
I just screwed the regulator with pipe dope back on and use it now with deposables.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
either get a splitter or a grill that you can bypass the regulator. Here is a discussion on what i did:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...gas-10986.html
Old 05-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
The most difficult part is if your rv came with the quick disconnects & if the dealer/manufacturer didn't give you both matching pieces odds are you'll have to purchase a matching set & replace the half mounted on your rv. There countless manufacturers of the disconnects & most do not interchange.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Didja ever wonder why CW sells all kinds of grills that won't hook up to your MH setup? Or why they don't have the necessary parts to adapt all those grills they sell that won't hook up to your MH setup so that they will? So many people just getting into RVing don't have a clue about all the technical aspects to be considered.
Orrrrr... They realize that not every motorhome is equipped with the propane connection that requires a low-pressure grille...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
I looked at the Coleman roadtrip grills at Camping World a d a sharp parts guy told me ( in the nick of time) you can't connect to the built-in port on our motorhome with this unit. The grill needed has to be a Low Pressure type. Otherwise you have two regulators in line and so the grill won't light. I found that from a video that a company named Propane Gear has a different hose kit with correct fittings for Coleman grill so you can use it with the MH connection. I ordered both things. Has anyone out there tried this system? Does it work ok?

Have the same grill. Look online for a youTube that discusses converting from white gas, or camping gas, or bottle gas, to LP. You end up with an "L" shaped connector that permits your grill to connect to a standard LP gas hose to your RV's exterior line intended for grill use. I made my own connector as described in the YouTube video (make sure you use natural gas or LP gas-rated plumbers Teflon tape (the yellow kind)). We had a 2015 Windsport 31S with the exterior LP line intended for grill use (that model MH came with a grill for that purpose!). I converted my Roadtrip grill as described and it worked like a charm!!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
Doc

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Colorado
THOR #10897
Just a heads up, the conversion kit from propane gear will not work with the RoadTrip Xcursion model. I wasn't able to get the regulator off the front of the grill. Having to send it back for a refund. The good part is that Propane gear said no problem sending it back, just make a note on the receipt and they would refund my money. Guess we are stuck with the green bottles.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Just a heads up, the conversion kit from propane gear will not work with the RoadTrip Xcursion model. I wasn't able to get the regulator off the front of the grill. Having to send it back for a refund. The good part is that Propane gear said no problem sending it back, just make a note on the receipt and they would refund my money. Guess we are stuck with the green bottles.

Doc - not sure why you need to remove the regulator. Do the green bottles screw into a fitting on the back of the grill? The conversion "plumbing," (not the "kit") simply screws onto the same fitting the green bottles go onto and permit you to use a hose from the LP line. Unless the Xcursion is very different from the red RoadTrip, you should be able to get the brass fittings, some LP Teflon tape and bye-bye green bottles

John

Tags
coleman roadtrip, grilling, low pressure grill