Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3265
Oh my! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. We have a 2016 27K Windsport, and I am very unhappy with the seating arrangement. If we could get this one area fixed, I would be thrilled with it.
With you having an upholstery shop, is there any advice I should know before taking ours to a local shop?
I love the fabric as well! Great job!

Old 10-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Dinette seating

Best advise is to specify the type of seat firmness you want. I used a very firm 3 POUND / 45ILD foam for firmness and longer lasting. When you buy an RV, it always seems to sit just fine when you are shopping. When you actually use the seating for any length of time, it seems to bottom out, quickly. the foam I use is designed to be very long lasting but will be harder to sit on. If you want a bit softer, I would used the 45ILD core of 2 or 3 inches and a top foam of 36-38ILD 2 or 3 inches. The pounds will dictate the quality and the ILD will dictate the firmness. In general, the heavier the foam and the higher the ILD, the longer the foam will last but the more firm it will be. Hope this helps.
www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3265
Thanks again. I am assuming you didn't extend the seating area on the left (curved area)? Just the back area by window, right?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #5687
'couch' mod has begun!

Many thanks for your posts about changing out the dinette sleeper for deeper and more comfortable cushions Garry and Tara!!! I'm so excited that we've now begun your mod!! So looking forward to having a more comfortable place to eat and relax while watching tv. So far we've removed the sleeper bed and moved the frame away from the wall 4". Starting to learn about foam options now... a lot to learn!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #25

THOR #5687
sleeper mod photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	3634
Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
doing similar but instead of installing the large table back we used the smaller table from between the front seats
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0511.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	3635  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #27

THOR #5687
funny, dcbenny.... we're going to do similar to what you are doing as well! We're leaving the small table between driver and passenger seats but making a new small table top for corner as you did. Husband is going to try and remove the other, now unused, floor base and attach to the underside of the new table so we don't have to buy any table hardware. Then use one of those collapsible storage units as a foot rest(where the unused floor base was) for both the person in the drivers seat and the person sitting at the end of the couch when we want to put our feet up and relax. So grateful we have options for this area!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #28

THOR #5326
It works great for us with only the small table also removed the leg support off the floor and filled in the holes in the vinyl and touched up you cant even notice there was something there, also where the leg support was between the two front seats also removed leg support from the carpet it was just sliced and folded in to the hole so I was able to put a thin piece of aluminum over it and seem carpet, again cant even notice something was there
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	3636  

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #29

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
We have a challenger with Theater seating and wife would prefer a couch, any suggestions
Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #30

THOR #5687
dcbenny, glad to hear those holes in the floor can be filled. The large table is too much for us too so thats why we're going with a smaller one. But we didn't want to leave the extra floor base there.. I'm sure one of us would have tripped on it eventually! Your rug looks amazing... I never would have known the base was there before!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #31

THOR #5326
Thanks I knew I would have lost a toe or two I also update the dinette light found it in Camping World over Christmas for $23.00 put one over bed also
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	3639  

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #32
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtube View Post
We have a challenger with Theater seating and wife would prefer a couch, any suggestions
Several have done mods to replace couch with theater seating - you certainly could do the reverse.
Probably find more that a few that would trade... lol
(I'd expect you could sell those theater seats to others.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I did a dual purpose approach with covering the entrance steps. My unit has the couch on one side of the steps, and the fridge on the other side. Thor put a nice wooden handrail on the fridge side to help in getting up and down the steps. On the couch side was nothing, just the fabric covered end board of the couch. That made getting in a little harder when I carried stuff in my left hand. Because of this I made the step cover such that it created a pretty solid wall section once up. At an RV junk yard, I found the identical handrail to the one on the left side, and attached this handrail to the step cover/short wall I made. The short wall is kept solidly in it's upright position by the door type hinges at the bottom and a barrel bolt that engages with the metal frame around the door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161116_151452.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	3642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161116_151410.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	3643  

Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #34

THOR #5687
windsport 27k dining mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniejack View Post
Many thanks for your posts about changing out the dinette sleeper for deeper and more comfortable cushions Garry and Tara!!! I'm so excited that we've now begun your mod!! So looking forward to having a more comfortable place to eat and relax while watching tv. So far we've removed the sleeper bed and moved the frame away from the wall 4". Starting to learn about foam options now... a lot to learn!
Finally.... a comfy place to hang out!!! New larger cushion for the wall bench, various size table legs(these were a challenge to find), a few homemade table tops, and a new footstool! Makes our seating area very flexible by mixing and matching leg lengths and table top sizes.... based on what we're currently doing. We usually don't change it too often, but when we do everything is easy to move and store. Love this group.... so many great ideas!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	5629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	5630  

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	5631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	5632  

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	5633  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #35

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
This is beautiful.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #36

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Hi Bernie & Jack'

Great job! I know this area is so much better than original. We made similar changes to our 27K two years ago. Due to some back issues, recliners became a necessity, so we have recently made another change. Normally it's just the two of us so we will just use the table between the front chairs. The first pic below is when we finished installing the recliners. The second pic is when all the changes are complete. The hardest part of the job was relocating the converter from under the table to face into the walkway where it is much more accessible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2544.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	5900   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2554.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	5901  

Old 04-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #37

THOR #5584
Wow, many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread! DW has been vehemently emphatic about how uncomfortable the dinette "couches" are, and after seeing these modifications, is now equally emphatic we can do them, as well, especially having noticed we have the same coach (ACE 27.1).

After moving the seat frame forward 4", did anyone add an extension to the back to "brace up" the gap? I didn't think it would be needed; she thinks it would.

@berniejack: She fell in love with your setup! Especially the footrest between the seats. You mentioned the various table leg lengths were a challenge to find. I agree! In fact, I'm striking out on finding them. Since they have tapers on each end to fit the sockets, I assume I just can't cut them to size. My internet searching skills must be lacking; where did you find yours?
Old 04-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #38

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
You mentioned the various table leg lengths were a challenge to find. I agree! In fact, I'm striking out on finding them. Since they have tapers on each end to fit the sockets, I assume I just can't cut them to size. My internet searching skills must be lacking; where did you find yours?
You could take the existing table legs to a machine shop and have them cut in two, shortened and tig welded back together. Probably cost less than $100.

Tom
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #39

THOR #5687
Hikes in Rain - Thank you! That whole area is so much more flexible with the wider cushion, the various height table legs and the homemade table tops/foot stool. Don't feel bad about your search abilities.. I finally called Springfield because I couldn't find any either! They could not have been any nicer... even emailed a few weeks later to see if I found the legs I was looking for! They recommended Cascade Depot - cascadedepot.com

I bought two different lengths, a 12" for a lower footstool and a 15" for a footstool that is pretty much the height of the driver/passenger seats. Here is the 12" part number you can use to start your search on their page-
3660040-P

That will bring up a listing of various posts that you can select from... and, they are pretty inexpensive!

We did add material to the 'gap' area and then finished it off with hinges to make it easier to store stuff under the cushion.

I love what John and Diane did in creating that end table... perfect mod to finish off this area!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #40

THOR #5584
This is perfect, berniejack, thank you so much! Exactly what I needed and more. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.