Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2016, 03:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Dining/Living Upgrade

We have a 2016 ACE 27.1 and never cared for the dining/living seating. They did not have enough depth and the foam is garbage. We own an Upholstery shop and made some changes. As the one seat has all of the electrics under it, we only changed it by taking the curved end off and replacing with a flat board. This took off 4" for the aisle. We made a cushion with 5" HD foam and a Dacron wrap. We took the other seat and moved it out 4", removed the sleeper and built a new cushion with 5" HD foam and wrapped with Dacron. The extra depth is much more comfortable and allows one to sleep there with plenty of width and length. More changes to come but here is a pix of the completed seating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1307  

Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Smile Also wanting to make changes.

We have a 2015 Windsport 27k which has the same floor plan. We have been trying to come up with some comfortable options. So far we have replaced the table with one I made out of solid maple. It is shorter, narrower, and lighter than the original. It is still big enough for the two of us while making it easier to get to the couch and increasing the area in the walkway. I'll try to get a picture next time I get to our unit which is in storage.
I never thought about moving the back section out 4", great idea. What did you have to do to make this change? We are looking forward to see what other changes you make. Please update us as you continue your project.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #3

THOR #2850
Remove all screws from frame holding seat to the floor and lift it over the seat belt bolts. This will give you approximately 4". We removed the sleeper and added a thicker cushion to match the other side. If you continue to use the sleeper, it will be 4" further toward the door, but will still work. Your table idea is exactly what we want to do. Please share pix when you are able. We removed the mirror in the bathroom and are looking for a thin profile wall mount medicine cabinet. Lastly, we are building brackets to install a board over the steps when we are camped. Might be a burden when going in and out but should work for when we are in for the night. Let us know what else you might do and thanks for the reply.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
I love these ideas!

We really want to modify our Hurricane 27K as John & Diane have mentioned - so very UNcomfy for relaxing and watching TV or just sitting.

I'd love to take out the sofa & replace it with a loveseat-sized sofa bed, but we too have the electrics under the "L" part of the sofa area. The bump out of 4" sounds like it might be the ticket!

Also, TheHomeofReligion, would love to know more about your project to make a board covering your steps. Is this to make it easier to get up the steep steps?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #5

THOR #2850
No, just more floor space for us and our two puppies. Seems silly, but just want to try for those extended trips. May be a pain to remove every morning, we'll see, I guess. The Extra depth makes a huge difference in seating comfort. We tried by leaving the sleeper in, but the foam was not great, so decided to make new cushions. If you need help on selecting foam, give a holler.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomeOfReligion View Post
No, just more floor space for us and our two puppies. Seems silly, but just want to try for those extended trips. May be a pain to remove every morning, we'll see, I guess. The Extra depth makes a huge difference in seating comfort. We tried by leaving the sleeper in, but the foam was not great, so decided to make new cushions. If you need help on selecting foam, give a holler.
Makes sense!

Thanks for the offer of assistance with the foam. Will keep you in mind once we get serious about doing this mod....sure sounds GOOD!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomeOfReligion View Post
...Lastly, we are building brackets to install a board over the steps when we are camped. Might be a burden when going in and out but should work for when we are in for the night. Let us know what else you might do and thanks for the reply.
I haven't done this for the current coach but I did it for my prior class c. I drilled a 1 inch hole in the board to serve as a finger hole for placement at night and removal in the morning. Took less than 15 seconds each time and served us well. Rather than installing brackets I used strips of wood screwed onto 3 sides of the bottom to keep the base from sliding when positioned. I used 3/4 inch plywood for the platform/base.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

THOR #2850
Great idea on the board over the stairs. Would make it easier, instead of mounting cleats. Thanks for the info.
www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

THOR #989
Table, Cabinet, & Step Cover

Attached are pictures of the table and step cover I made. I forgot to take a tape measure with me when I took these pictures but you should be able to get an idea of its size. The step cover was made out of good 3/4 plywood. I used aluminum angle right under the existing corner trim for it to sit on. We don't have pets so I didn't go closer to the door. The cleat I put on the inside edge is to keep it from sliding, note the space I let for it to drop into. We have the inside hand rail so I attach it to that when not in use. I painted some fake tile on it but they don't match to well. I forgot to drill a finger hole in it, On my to-do list.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2087.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1311   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2088.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1312  

Name:	100_2090.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1313   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2091.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1314  

Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #10

THOR #989
Medicine Cabinet

Home of Religion, Attached is a picture of the medicine cabinet in our Windsport. I was thinking maybe you could make a similar cabinet and use your mirror for the door. I could not get a decent picture of the cabinet with the door closed so you could see the mirrored door. Too much glare!
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2089.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1315  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:47 AM   #11

THOR #2850
Great help.

John & Diane, great info and appreciate the time to post for us. I like the faux painted tile.. Table looks fantastic. Did you include the cut out for easy access from and to the front seats? The medicine chest is exactly what we want. I think I will build one myself. I did so for our house and bought an unfinished cabinet from Sutherlands and just used the door and had a mirror added to it. Thanks for your help, Garry & Tara.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #12

THOR #989
Hi Garry & Tara, The table I made is 24"x38" with a 3 1/2"x13" section taken out of the one corner. And as you guessed, I did that to make getting to the drivers seat a little easier. I hit my hip too many times on the original table. I probably didn't need to do that since there is more room behind the drivers seat because of the shorter length.
When I was measuring the table this morning I opened up the bed to check out how I would proceed with moving the base like you did. I think I too will remove the bed frame. Did you replace the foam in both cushions? What type of foam should I use? There are several Amish shops in the area that should be able to modify the long cushion for me. On special or unusual jobs they prefer you buy the materials since they don't stock too much.
While I'm moving the base, I am going to put a blank cover on the existing outlet move the outlet to the right front of the coach where we can reach it easier. I'm too old to get on my knees to reach under the table every time I need to plug something in. I may also add an outlet about 16" off the floor on the wall below outside of the bathroom, below the control panel. I have to check with the wife on that one.
If you need more pictures or measurements of the medicine cabinet let me know, happy to help.
John & Diane
Old 01-21-2016, 02:38 AM   #13

THOR #2850
All great info. I made two new cushions and put the sleeper frame/cushion and the other cushion in storage. I laminated the foam with 2" 45ILD & 3" 36ILD. Both were a 3 pound foam. (I will find a link for explanation). I then wrapped both cushions with 3/4" Dacron to add to the comfort and be more breathable. I can't stand the foam in RV's, they go flat in about 5 minutes. If you want measurements or need help finding foam, just shout out. I love your 110v ideas, our Travel Trailer has the same plug under the table. Would love more info on the medicine chest, too.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #14

THOR #989
Medicine Cabinet

Hi Garry & Tara, Attached is a drawing of the medicine cabinet in our 27K. I hope it helps. If you can't read it or you have questions feel free to contact us.
In regards to the cushions you made, what foam goes on top, the 45 or 36? We may use a thin board on the bottom of ours and want to get it right. We want the most comfortable side up. Thanks

John & Diane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Medicinecab..jpg
Views:	275
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1327  
Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #15

THOR #2850
Thanks for the info, I may try to build it this week end. If you use the 36 on top, it will give you a softer sit while keeping you from bottoming out on the 45. If you use the 45 on top, then your sit will be more firm but still not bottoming out. Personal preference, I guess. My wife likes the 36 & I prefer the 45. So, I used the 36 on top, closest to the B/R, as that is where she usually sits. I used the 45 on top, on the wall side, as that is where I usually sit. Not to confuse you, but you could use other combinations, as well. ie: 3" 28ILD with 1" 45ILD with 1" 61ILD (like a sandwich). Do you have a source for your foam and someone to help you? They may have other ideas. Again, thank you for the great drawing/plans, Garry & Tara
Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
How did you fasten your cabinet to the wall? Really like the dinette table top. Could be my next mod.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

THOR #2850
John & Diane, we installed a pre-made cabinet we purchased at Sutherland's. Perfect size and depth. Attaching to the wall was super easy, once I found the two horizontal support studs (approximately 22" top to bottom). Thanks for your help and ideas on the one you built. Tara liked this one because it has 3 doors and they didn't take up any room while you stood in front of it. We took the mirror that was originally above the sink and re-installed it above the toilet. With the tri-fold mirrors, you can use one of them to see the mirror above the toilet, for hair, etc. (She, also liked the idea I didn't spend time designing and building)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:42 AM   #18

THOR #989
Cabinet mounting

Sikoriko, Once you find the best (strongest )spots for screws to mount the cabinet, put small cleats in the cabinet in corresponding locations.The best spots would be under the shelves or along the inside of the the side panels. I use 3/4 x 3/4 x 6" pcs for the cleats. As an alternate you could put a back on the cabinet and then put the screws anywhere. It really depends on how the wall is made where you want to put it.

John & Diane
Old 01-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #20

THOR #2544
These are some great ideas. Many thanks to all of you.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote