Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 04:07 AM   #21
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTarzan View Post
Great replies here and a lot of good info.
I am not comfortable on anything that can't keep up with traffic.
And I'm not sure I want to go full on electric yet.
I'm looking at a Kymco 150x , ive been doing research and reading reviews. The company has been around since 1963 and started as a parts maker for Honda and many other big companies.
I'm going to look at them at a dealer tomorrow.
The reviews and write ups on it are great. Not too bad for $2k out the door.
We are planning a trip to the Fla. Keys this summer and ill be bringing the boat. I think zipping around in the Keys on a scooter will be a blast!
I'll keep you all posted on what I find.
I just bought a 2018 Kymco Super 8 150X for putting on the RV. I have less tha 100 miles on it so far. A scooter is the best way to get around Key West plenty of parking for a scooter and it is a blast. Parking is limited for cars . We go to Key West at least three times a year. Boyd’s RV park is only 6 miles to downtown. I also have a Yamaha Tmax 550cc that I sometime bring but it is a pain putting on and off the carrier because it is so big. According to what I read after break in you can expect a top speed of around 55mph. Make sure you read the manuel and follow the break in procedure.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #22

State: South Carolina
THOR #10463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I just bought a 2018 Kymco Super 8 150X for putting on the RV. I have less tha 100 miles on it so far. A scooter is the best way to get around Key West plenty of parking for a scooter and it is a blast. Parking is limited for cars . We go to Key West at least three times a year. Boyd’s RV park is only 6 miles to downtown. I also have a Yamaha Tmax 550cc that I sometime bring but it is a pain putting on and off the carrier because it is so big. According to what I read after break in you can expect a top speed of around 55mph. Make sure you read the manuel and follow the break in procedure.
I'm very interested in what you think of your Kymco. The dealers by me don't have any in stock to look at but all say "I can have one here in 24hrs if you buy it" . Kinda crappy way of doing business IMO but that's what I'm left with.
How is it with 2 people power wise? I have no intention of hwy riding , but want to be able to keep up at say 45-50 mph.
Does it handle well?
Does it feel well made?
Any other observations you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 01-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #23
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
I'm very interested in what you think of your Kymco. The dealers by me don't have any in stock to look at but all say "I can have one here in 24hrs if you buy it" . Kinda crappy way of doing business IMO but that's what I'm left with.
How is it with 2 people power wise? I have no intention of hwy riding , but want to be able to keep up at say 45-50 mph.
Does it handle well?
Does it feel well made?
Any other observations you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Fortunately the dealer had different 2017 models in stock but I waited for the 2018 which was basically the same as the 2017 but the same price. Like you I did my research and found they use to make parts for the big name scooters. They are much cheaper than the big name scooters but are ranked higher in quality than other Chinese scooters. With the cheaper price there are some compromises technology wise. They are not fuel injected and are not water cooled, like there more expensive counterparts, and also have a rear drum brake not a disc brake. If this isn't a concern and you are looking for some transportation when camping I think they are a good alternative to the more expensive scooters. I had a Yamaha Smax, which was a great scooter, but traded it in for the Yamaha Tmax. I decided I wanted something lighter and easier to load for quick trips so I bought the Kymco, which is a good value for the money. Is it a Yamaha or Honda no, for the reasons stated above. The Kymco feels much better made than its Chinese counterparts, easy to load, and handles well. The manual states during the break in period not to go over 40 so I cannot verify the top speed. It is over 150cc which makes it hwy legal I would only take my Smax on the hwy for one exit. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #24

THOR #10463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Fortunately the dealer had different 2017 models in stock but I waited for the 2018 which was basically the same as the 2017 but the same price. Like you I did my research and found they use to make parts for the big name scooters. They are much cheaper than the big name scooters but are ranked higher in quality than other Chinese scooters. With the cheaper price there are some compromises technology wise. They are not fuel injected and are not water cooled, like there more expensive counterparts, and also have a rear drum brake not a disc brake. If this isn't a concern and you are looking for some transportation when camping I think they are a good alternative to the more expensive scooters. I had a Yamaha Smax, which was a great scooter, but traded it in for the Yamaha Tmax. I decided I wanted something lighter and easier to load for quick trips so I bought the Kymco, which is a good value for the money. Is it a Yamaha or Honda no, for the reasons stated above. The Kymco feels much better made than its Chinese counterparts, easy to load, and handles well. The manual states during the break in period not to go over 40 so I cannot verify the top speed. It is over 150cc which makes it hwy legal I would only take my Smax on the hwy for one exit. Hope this helps.
Thanks Kev !
I think I'm going to get one today !!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I do have over 15 motorcycles and scooters electric bikes in my garage right now I just would like to add I like to keep the 50cc Ruckus Yamaha C3 Vespa on hand due to age and Licensing regulations those bikes do not need insurance or the person riding to take a class and get a motorcycle endorsement granted I'm in Indiana and every States different but I do travel with the 50 ccs because I take my kids with me also. Just something to think about. I also now travel with five electric bikes that I made a custom rack for my Axis 24:1 and will be traveling with them from now on.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you also have the 250cc Big Ruckus?

Every year there's a whole bunch of Ruckus-Riders that meet at the "Tail of the Dragon"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7074
Yes, the silver one is a 2006 & orange is 2005. Two of the most un recognize scooters anywhere everywhere you ride them no one even knows what it is. Those were the only two years they were imported in the country and the only two colors. You know your bikes!!Click image for larger version

Name:	1516901209659.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	8728
Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks! I always wanted one of the Big-uns"...
Old 01-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #29

THOR #10463
Quote:
Thanks Kev !
I think I'm going to get one today !!
Ok so after picking up the Motorhome at Camping World (getting stuff done that ...uh..should have been done before it left the factory...so on and so on..) I went to the Kymco dealer, well they didn't have the Super 8 150x as promised.
Not a total loss as they had several other scooters there that I wanted to compare anyway and he said he'll make it worth my while to come back tomorrow morning when the 150x gets there.
They did have a 2015 PCX 150 with 3,000 miles for $2500 ..immaculate! So I'll see tomorrow.
I really like the look of the Kymco though.
I didn't fit on many of the Vespa style scooters with straight handle bars..my knees hit the grips. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs .
Pretty psyched though about the idea of a scooter.
Hopefully there will be a new pony in the stable tomorrow
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #30
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I do have over 15 motorcycles and scooters
Ron does not have nearly that many motorcycles...however, we have been considering a 250cc scooter to hang on the back of the Axis rather than the dual sport. As we get older he realizes his/my limitations.

The Big Ruckus...so, you have a couple...we did some research on them today...there are several for sale. Did you purchase yours new? Appears the going price on them at this point in time is between $3500 and $4500 .. most of them have less than 10k on them some very few miles.
This scooter appears to be fairly comfortable double up...what is your thinking?

thanks

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7074
I did p.m. you my phone number.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks! I always wanted one of the Big-uns"...
Bob, if you're in the area I'll get my 3 wheeler out and go riding with you ... 1984 Honda Gyro 50cc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170707_141802.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	8729  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We EILL have to make this happen...
The 50cc Gyro...
The 1330cc Spyder...

That about sums up "The long and the short" of it!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #34

THOR #10463
Ok so here's the scooter update.
Went to the dealer today and saw the Kymco 150x . It was just to small for me , loved it ! But the floor boards are flat above the lower frame and my knees were just too high . If I had room to put my feet (size 13) forward more or even back a little more it would have been fine . I even asked about changing the handle bars , after a quick look by one of the mechs he Saud there isn't enough slack in the cables to make it work.
So I loved the scoot but it's not for me.
The good news is I didn't leave empty handed and there is a new Pony in the stable! LOL
I got the Honda PCX 150 ..very sweet ride and the more contoured frame and floor boards gives me so much more room and its perfect.
Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180126_143540.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	8758   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_143603.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	8759  

Name:	46726-MMS-1516995753000-attachment1-20180126_143428.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	8760  
Old 01-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations on finding the right for you!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:59 AM   #36
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Ok so here's the scooter update.
Went to the dealer today and saw the Kymco 150x . It was just to small for me , loved it ! But the floor boards are flat above the lower frame and my knees were just too high . If I had room to put my feet (size 13) forward more or even back a little more it would have been fine . I even asked about changing the handle bars , after a quick look by one of the mechs he Saud there isn't enough slack in the cables to make it work.
So I loved the scoot but it's not for me.
The good news is I didn't leave empty handed and there is a new Pony in the stable! LOL
I got the Honda PCX 150 ..very sweet ride and the more contoured frame and floor boards gives me so much more room and its perfect.
Here are some pics
Congrats. Your smile says it all. You can’t go wrong with that bike looks great. I’m sure you will have a blast with it.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 AM   #37

THOR #10463
Thanks !

I got to zip around on it a bit today..nice ride , very smooth , quick acceleration and very comfortable.
Can't wait to be cruising in the keys on it
Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 AM   #38
Kev

THOR #3918
You will have a good time in the keys for sure.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #39

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #10528
RevJeffery... curious about your electric bike selection. We just purchased an Axis and would like to purchase a couple of electric bikes. If you can supply a short list of your top 3 recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

2BlindMice
Old 01-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #40
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BlindMice View Post
RevJeffery... curious about your electric bike selection. We just purchased an Axis and would like to purchase a couple of electric bikes. If you can supply a short list of your top 3 recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

2BlindMice
** these bikes are upgrades from the other ones we had for the last three years.
This is a very personal subject and everybody likes a different bike. I picked the Sondors fold X and here are the reasons. 1. cost I had to buy 5 of them one for each member of the family and we are taking all 5 with us when we travel the cost was $1,000 a piece with the shipping. 2. Construction Superior, Folds and weighs 50 lbs. Without battery 58 with. The battery the motor and the controller are all great components. You can buy parts from Saunders or use any aftermarket parts that fit on the bike and there are many. The Sondors Forum on Facebook is just as amazing as the Thor one here if you need any help people are more than glad to help you with any part of the bike. 3. The performance amazing they could be ridden in the sand on the beach in the snow uphill downhill very powerful very comfortable seems to be a very good-looking bike everybody likes the looks of it and when they ride it they all say they're going to buy one I did have three of my neighbors already buy themselves the same bike. 4. I do have a lot of scooters they are heavy they are a little harder to carry especially when you need enough room to take five people. I went to the electric bikes because the parks the town's the sidewalks the campgrounds you do not need any special licenses they are considered a bicycle except for a few places in California I hear now they claim they're cracking down on them using some of the trails I don't live in that area but in our area we could ride them on any bike path downtown Chicago on the lakefront etc.etc they are bicycle. One of my daughters is 14 she's not eligible to ride any motorized scooter yet. They do not also need insurance or plates.
All the electric bikes are what they call pedal-assist the best way I can describe it is it knows when you need power if you're going uphill automatically knows that if you're going downhill and knows that it's almost like riding a bike with bionic legs if you've never ridden one borrow one from somebody or test drive one somewhere it's sort of amazing . I don't want to bore you with a lot of the statistics because you can read that on their website. The last thing I will say is be careful almost every single bike on the market that you could find is brought over from China and can be bought for 5 or $600 but somebody slaps their name on it and charges you $1,500 more.... in my personal opinion if you're paying more than $1,500 for an e-bike you're paying way too much. Unless it's something super special specialized the other cool bike out there is the Rad Bike. I Skipped that one due to the fact needed 5 of them and it was out of my price range with the delivery but it seems to be a really cool bike. Of course anybody in my area is welcome to test drive mine anytime good luck I know one thing you will not regret it. I have made a all aluminum custom bike rack to take all 5 with this traveling I will put pictures up in a couple of days due to the fact I've been sick for so long with this stupid flu I haven't been able to bring my motorhome out of storage to my house yet but I plan on putting the bikes on the rack and taking some photos so people can see it is possible to Take 5 with you safely.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_163041.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	8770Click image for larger version

Name:	20170908_190724.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	8771