Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #10463
Does anyone carry a Scooter?

Hi
Just curious what you all think about Scooters in place of a TOAD .
One of the main reasons we chose a Motorhome over a pull behind was so we can tow our boat .
I'm all set up to tow our Jeep Wrangler when the boat isn't coming but I'm contemplating getting a Scooter for boat trips.
I'm looking at a medium sized scooter in the 150cc range.
Does anyone have experience with carriers? Recommendations ?
I'm concerned about carrying in the front for airflow reasons... is that a real issue?
The Scooter I'm looking at weighs 250 lbs which is doable to carry in the back as the boat tongue weight is under 200 lbs.
I'm also curious about how popular scooters are amongst Motorhome people.
I've been watching on the road and don't see many on Motorhomes...is there a reason I'm missing ?
Seems like a great and fun way to get around town and stuff.
Thanks
Chris

Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve been looking for a pair of 50 - 90 cc Honda step-throughs. Used to have a pair of Tomas mopeds and they were great. I want something small enough and light enough to carry a pair in a hitch basket carrier. This means no plastic bodywork and a very small frame.

I’m also a bicyclist so I’m looking into a pair of e-bikes. Wife isn’t a rider though so this might not work. And nice ones seem to be very pricey- about $3,000 each!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Safety????

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTarzan View Post

.....cut....
I've been watching on the road and don't see many on Motorhomes...is there a reason I'm missing ?
Thanks
Chris
I agree they sound like a fun compromise, but also haven't seen many (just a couple over the years). Will be interested in this thread.

I personally think a lot of RVers are either young with kids, or older couples who might not feel comfortable and or safe enough in traffic riding a scooter (particularly in unfamiliar roads/cities). While visiting in West Palm Beach I see a lot of scooters on the road and find it surprising more riders don't get killed. Many scooters there are too small in my opinion to keep up with traffic.

I also find it interesting that many students at my university have traded bicycles for scooters. Decades ago everyone rode bikes, and now when I go back to visit, there are literally 1,000s of scooters parked throughout campus.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #4

THOR #2121
P.S. -- Last night was looking at specs on Zero electric motorcycles. They are still a little too expensive (there are many brands now), but the ones that can also go off road on trails and have plenty of power and range look like they may work for us if we need more than our present bicycles.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Hi
One of the main reasons we chose a Motorhome over a pull behind was so we can tow our boat .
I'm all set up to tow our Jeep Wrangler when the boat isn't coming but I'm contemplating getting a Scooter for boat trips.
I'm concerned about carrying in the front for airflow reasons... is that a real issue?
The Scooter I'm looking at weighs 250 lbs which is doable to carry in the back as the boat tongue weight is under 200 lbs.
Thanks
Chris
We have been using a hitch mounted motorcycle steel carrier with a weight rating of 600 lbs. purchased on ebay. I have a 150cc scooter and a 550cc scooter and it depends on where we are traveling when deciding which scooter to bring. We live in Florida so the weather allows us to use them almost year round. We also have electric bicycles that we use when traveling to locations with bike trails or when we know we wont be traveling far from the motorhome.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. -- Last night was looking at specs on Zero electric motorcycles. They are still a little too expensive (there are many brands now), but the ones that can also go off road on trails and have plenty of power and range look like they may work for us if we need more than our present bicycles.
Zero just dropped their prices across the board:
https://jalopnik.com/zero-drops-the-...-35-1705821934
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
A local motorcycle dealer near me stop selling them due to lack of sales. Lack of interest and price point was blamed. Even with the price drop not enough to compete with gas models.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Still seems a little expensive. I also noticed the battery capacity is a little lower than what I was seeing last night. Maybe if Tesla or Honda got into mass producing electric scooters/motorcycles they could better compete on cost. I think I wouldn't consider anything with much less than 10 kWh capacity. I'd want the ability to wonder miles from campground and still feel secure I could get back -- and with two onboard.

I saw one of these Pegasus at grocery store today. I think it has 150 cc engine, and seat large enough for two. Also has a place to carry a few groceries or store helmet. It looks nice, but may be cheap underneath -- don't really know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6064.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	8672  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The Zeroes are the nicest of the "Battery-Bikes".
If I wasn't riding my Spyder: I'd have one of them instead!

Don't let the retail prices scare you... There's a huge difference between suggested retail, and selling prices.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Just looking ahead and researching while I have time. It was just one of those pop-up ads that got my attention, so looked at them.

If we stay with Class B that can go and park just about anywhere, then we'll be fine with bicycles for now. We still enjoy pedaling, although a scooter can be a lot of fun too. We toured Cozumel on a rented scooter years ago and had a blast.

If we end up with small A or C, then a scooter would get a lot more use, and would make more sense to own. For now I can use all the exercise I/we can get.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This video is a nice review of the available decent electric scooters (not the toy versions):
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
I personally think a lot of RVers are either young with kids, or older couples who might not feel comfortable and or safe enough in traffic riding a scooter (particularly in unfamiliar roads/cities).

This issue is what started me looking at the Segway a few weeks back. And what's stopped me from pulling the trigger and buying to date. But I'm closing on a new house next week, in a gated 55+ community and I'll probably be buying one to run around there, instead of a golf cart. That will probably graduate to taking it in the Vegas on our trips.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #13
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I personally think a lot of RVers are either young with kids, or older couples who might not feel comfortable and or safe enough in traffic riding a scooter (particularly in unfamiliar roads/cities).

This issue is what started me looking at the Segway a few weeks back. And what's stopped me from pulling the trigger and buying to date. But I'm closing on a new house next week, in a gated 55+ community and I'll probably be buying one to run around there, instead of a golf cart. That will probably graduate to taking it in the Vegas on our trips.
We have two Segway Minipros to get around in the RV parks. And I use mine to walk the dog since he likes to walk for miles.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Chris

Honda PCX150. Put it on a motorcycle rack on back hitch. Can easily carry 2
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post

Too big and too heavy for us. I’m looking at a pair of Pedego or Trek Electric bikes. I’m expecting the prices to come down some soon.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have our dresser and a Suzuki dual sport..the latter hangs off the back of the Axis on the rack. Late last season, we looked at the Honda 150cc .. still not sure we want to downsize that much...as we get older we are changing our preferences...don't really want to pull a toad...decisions decisions !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1516751203

I'm good to go with what I've got!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 RT-L.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	8696  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:04 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Here's our Toad aka Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and aka the Corgi Cruiser
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
How do you like the way it handles and performs? I see that it's freeway legal, but wonder how fast you can normally go carrying two adults. Combined we weigh just under 270 pounds.

A range of 200 miles and cost under $4,000 seem pretty good for a Honda compared to no-name brands which are almost as expensive.

The larger and more powerful Forza looks interesting too, although more expensive.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #20

State: South Carolina
THOR #10463
Great replies here and a lot of good info.
I am not comfortable on anything that can't keep up with traffic.
And I'm not sure I want to go full on electric yet.
I'm looking at a Kymco 150x , ive been doing research and reading reviews. The company has been around since 1963 and started as a parts maker for Honda and many other big companies.
I'm going to look at them at a dealer tomorrow.
The reviews and write ups on it are great. Not too bad for $2k out the door.
We are planning a trip to the Fla. Keys this summer and ill be bringing the boat. I think zipping around in the Keys on a scooter will be a blast!
I'll keep you all posted on what I find.