Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac
I used my Aussie grill several times. It was hard to control flare ups and regulate a good cooking temp. It often became a mess. I would disassemble and pressure wash the unit. After 2 years, the all metal grill wasn't cutting it any longer.

Last month I bought a Weber Q1200. Was looking at the Q2200 but the price was pretty good on the Q1200. The size is just right for the two of us. I also like the coated cooking grates, makes for easier clean up. I am using up my old portable propane bottles and already have the parts ready to remove the grill's regulator and connect directly to my RV's line.

I recommend a Weber Q and converting.
We have a Weber Baby Q (the precursor to the one you're using by about 10 years). I picked up a small refillable propane bottle to use it with and don't connect it up to the RV system (I also have the folding cart that goes with it so I can wheel it around anywhere in the campsite).

It does work well: Have cooked just about everything on it--I think I'm on my 3rd set of grates for it (eventually the coating does come off and they rust). With my setup I have to open the propane at the tank and let it sit for 10 or 20 minutes for pressure to build up in the hose before lighting it; otherwise it just doesn't get hot (I just picked up a hose that screws into the regulator already there).

That little tank usually lasts us almost two seasons.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:16 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #7805
We just bought a 2013 Tuscany that definitely does not have an outside kitchen. We want to get a small portable gas grill. Are there any restrictions about carrying propane cylinders in the basement storage? Also, is there a way to connect a gas grill to the LP tank?

Thanks,
Larry & Maureen
Old 07-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #23
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhamm View Post
We just bought a 2013 Tuscany that definitely does not have an outside kitchen. We want to get a small portable gas grill. Are there any restrictions about carrying propane cylinders in the basement storage? Also, is there a way to connect a gas grill to the LP tank?

Thanks,
Larry & Maureen
Legally not sure - but need to be sure it is secure and stays upright.
I really didn't want to give up the real estate in storage area... plus I already carry a much larger tank of propane.

Two ways to connect to RV propane (I've done both...)
High pressure - a device like 'extend-a-stay' that installs between the propane tank and regulator. Contains two taps - one the 'disposable bottle' type - intended to connect an appliance to, and the other a threaded fitting intended to connect an external tank to (to use as an alternate source if you run low on board). In this case, the grill MUST have a regulator to reduce the pressure.

Low pressure - a hose or tee installed AFTER the RV regulator - typically ends in a 'quick connect' fitting that you can attach the appliance to. In this case, the grill must NOT have its own regulator (can't 'double regulate' propane...)

Grills without a regulator can always add one in line if you want to use high pressure. Grills with a regulator can often be removed/bypassed if you want to use it with low pressure.

Still carry a small charcoal grill (Old Smokey) - can't beat the flavor off charcoal - but the convenience of gas makes it get a lot of use...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote