Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
what is DMSO?

I sometimes carry a small 0.38 Spl revolver.

Had it aboard on one of our interstate trips. Wanted to go onto a USN base to visit a museum. Bypassed that because in all my research they had no provisions for stowing it or checking it for me.

The next time through i purposely left it at home and visited the museum. I'll admit to wishing I had it when we did a bit of "boondocking at walmart"

I have toyed with the idea of getting a simple short shotgun for home defense, and perhaps the RV too. I have a semi-auto Browning....a Belgian made Sweet 16.....a bit of a collector's item.... but it's long barreled for hunting.

I never have looked into it though..... Is a shotgun really "legal in all 50"?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #62
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Keep the barrel over 18" long and it is!
(There may be a rule concerning overall length: I've never researched that... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #63

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Although all of the above advice is good may I add that if you are afraid to be unarmed or to travel it may be best for you to stay home. As retired LEO I find it insane for people to carry because they have a fear of someone else while in a MH or camper. Just my opinion.
That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #64

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Obviously you have been drinking too much cool aide. Let’s just hold hands and kumbya and everything will be all right. In the real world crime happens and if you have not been touched by crime that’s.great. Most people who legally carry weapons hope they never have to use it. In Florida when they passed the stand your ground law people like you predicted unprecedented shootings and it would be the “Wild West” when in fact crime went down. As this responder says if you are concerned about people carrying guns in RV parks maybe you should stay home. And for your information cities with the highest crime rates, ie NYC and Washington DC have the strictest gun laws. And after 32 yrs, of law enforcement experience officers I have come in contact with support citizens right to legally carry weapons.
Now that is one of the smartest thing I have read on here.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #65

THOR #5063
I have found my 4gen Glock 17 is the most reliable gun I have owned. Doesn’t matter what you feed it it will always work. I would think a Taurus Judge(410 shot gun shells) would work well in the close quarters of an rv. Plus they are a lot smaller than a shotgun. Now with a holster I have found buying a cheap one really isn’t worth it. For inside the waistband the King Tuk is really comfortable. Outside the waist band Blackhawk makes nice holsters.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #66

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
my wife and i when in FLA. go to naval base where my ship was home ported and where we lived when i was there and get a motel room at JAX'S beach for one day while we run around. gun is locked in room.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #67

THOR #1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
My young family and I traveled across the US, from California to NY, staying mostly in 5 star RV parks in the year 2000 and never encountered even the slightest of security issues. I think carrying a gun actually raises the risk to you and to others. Unless you are going to unpopulated areas, where you would be the only RV in sight and in questionable locations, I think you are not in need of deadly force. Bring some mace and maybe a stun zapper (available for $15-$30), for protection. Invasion attempts are 1 in 1,000,000 so the odds don't suggest the need to carry. As one responder said, if you are that concerned, maybe you should not travel. Even in California where you live, have you ever needed a gun for your protection? If you do not have one yet, you probably do not need one.

Anecdotal evidences is not meaningful. Per FBI / DOJ statistics firearms are used legally 1.5 million to 3 million times per year to save lives and prevent crime by regular citizens. In over 90% of these situations no shots are ever fired. If you don’t want to have a firearm for protection don’t have one. I for one have them and fire extinguishers as well. For the same reason. I have never used a fire extinguisher either. Hope to never have to. I avoid states that don’t respect my self defense rights.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #68

THOR #1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
The fact that you came from a "cop" background definitely gives you more history of bad situations and a much higher fear profile. You also have been properly trained and have experience with those situations. Individuals with no training and no experience with difficult situations are much more likely to make a deadly mistake.
I do not run into a lot of police officers suggesting that the public start carrying guns! You are probably the first one in my experience.
Actually, I have had a number of experiences when police officers have knocked on my door, car door etc to investigate my well being or local criminal activity, more often than strangers knocking at my door. Situation like this could turn deadly with both parties carrying guns! Are you sure you want to recommend RVers carryoing guns?

Most beat cops have no problem with armed civilians. I have interacted with beat cops many times over many years and just be polite, inform them you are armed, and most importantly follow their exact instructions. Sometimes they will ask where the weapon is but usually just telling them is enough for them to feel comfortable. CCW holders are some of the most law abiding Americans period.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I fear that the train is starting to leave the tracks...
Old 01-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #70
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #71
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1516109879
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beating a Dead Horse.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	8593  
Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #72

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

And yet you are still responding.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #73

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
I have found my 4gen Glock 17 is the most reliable gun I have owned. Doesn’t matter what you feed it it will always work. I would think a Taurus Judge(410 shot gun shells) would work well in the close quarters of an rv. Plus they are a lot smaller than a shotgun. Now with a holster I have found buying a cheap one really isn’t worth it. For inside the waistband the King Tuk is really comfortable. Outside the waist band Blackhawk makes nice holsters.
Yes, I've liked the idea of those or something similar for a while....but it's still a handgun.....so for travel a bit more of a sticky wicket
Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
And yet you are still responding.
(Okay; I'll bite... )
So are you the pot? Or the kettle?
And who got called "Black" first?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #75

THOR #5063
Doesn’t matter which one. He asked a question and I gave my opinion on which firearm and holster.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:45 AM   #76

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Federal law allows transporting a firearm between States. Includes passing though other States enroute. Firearm must be unloaded and carried in the trunk or locked contained, ammunition stored separately. It has been posted that some States (NJ?) treat this law as an "affirmative defense" -as such you may be arrested, gun confiscated and have to prove in court you meet the federal guidelines.
Federal guns laws here: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2004...l-firearms-law

Individual State gun laws are here: https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/

Inform LEO you are carrying: Florida it is not required
Ohio: Required on initial contact with LEO

Firearms not allowed sign posted for a business: In Florida you can enter armed, if asked to leave you must do so or face criminal trespass. In South Carolina it is a felony to enter a store so posted.

In California the Judge pistol is considered a sawed off shotgun. Not legal. (from internet so ??)
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #77

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #10642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Although all of the above advice is good may I add that if you are afraid to be unarmed or to travel it may be best for you to stay home. As retired LEO I find it insane for people to carry because they have a fear of someone else while in a MH or camper. Just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #78
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Federal law allows transporting a firearm between States. Includes passing though other States enroute. Firearm must be unloaded and carried in the trunk or locked contained, ammunition stored separately. It has been posted that some States (NJ?) treat this law as an "affirmative defense" -as such you may be arrested, gun confiscated and have to prove in court you meet the federal guidelines.
Federal guns laws here: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2004...l-firearms-law

Individual State gun laws are here: https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/

Inform LEO you are carrying: Florida it is not required
Ohio: Required on initial contact with LEO

Firearms not allowed sign posted for a business: In Florida you can enter armed, if asked to leave you must do so or face criminal trespass. In South Carolina it is a felony to enter a store so posted.

In California the Judge pistol is considered a sawed off shotgun. Not legal. (from internet so ??)
While I agree: there are limitations about transporting handguns across State Lines. Know what the laws are like: before you run into a legal problem.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #79

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
I actually have something to add to this that hasn't been mentioned... WHERE you keep your firearm in your RV.

I grew up going on vacations in trailers, cab-overs and motorhomes. My dad ALWAYS had his 20 gauge shotgun with us. My wife and I got our first motorhome when we weren't even 25, and have had one pretty much ever since. I also have always carried my shotgun in it and have had more than one situation where I was VERY glad I had it.

The problem was when we had kids. If you want to look at statistics, look up how many family members get accidentally killed with a gun in the house. I wanted to have the safety of carrying my shotgun in our RV, but I wasn't willing to risk my kid's life to do it.

So I built a secret compartment in the raised section of the floor under the dinette table. It was basically a hinged section of the floor that you could lift up and there was a space about 4 inches high by 5 or so feet wide. I carpeted the inside of the space, and the floor was carpeted also so you couldn't see the hinge or could tell it moved or opened. We made a point of NEVER letting our kids see us open it or letting them know it was there. We succeeded in keeping that compartment a secret until they were in their teens!

The good part was that I still had a firearm that I could get my hands on quickly, but not only was it safe from our kids, it also would have been VERY hard for anyone to be able to find it if they broke into the RV.

As far as WHAT to have with you in your RV or house for that matter? I think a shotgun has way more benefits than any other gun when you're talking about home self defense. Of the statistics about family members being killed by a home self defense weapon, a percentage of those are from bullets going through walls and into bedrooms with sleeping children, wives or husbands. That risk alone makes shotguns "safer".
Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #80

Model: 22FE
THOR #8606
Stats on 12 ga. with 00 buck at 25' center mass hit, 100% stopping power. I have one for home protection.