Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
Healthcare

As we travel our medications run out and our Dr. won't refill. Can someone enlighten us on our options, please?

Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hate to ask this...
Did you discuss this with him, before you hit the road?

My Missus is a transplant recipient, and I'm a Type I Diabetic. Keeping an adequate supply of our meds around; is more than a critical issue.
In the past: we've never had trouble getting his Office to get us what we need for extended trips...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Alabama
THOR #5880
Go to any drug store, they will call the drug store you last had medication fill and they will transfer prescriptions to that store and they will fill it.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Find a new doctor!!! Not willing to refill needed medications while you are away from home is not the mark of a doctor who is concerned about his patients!!! I have called my doctor and he called in the refill to my home pharmacy which were then available by computer to my location.

Please note, a doctor can NOT refill a narcotic or similar medication to an out of state pharmacy, period, no exceptions!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghof View Post
As we travel our medications run out and our Dr. won't refill. Can someone enlighten us on our options, please?

Call your insurance company asap! They will give you directions on how to proceed, if you are covered. The answer you will get will depend on your policy. Please report back on how this is handled.

If that fails, send me a pm.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 AM   #6

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh22776 View Post
Go to any drug store, they will call the drug store you last had medication fill and they will transfer prescriptions to that store and they will fill it.

wal-mart is very traveler friendly
Old 08-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I'm guessing since the Dr wouldn't refill.. that the reality is they COULDN'T do it - for a restricted medication as SuperD mentioned...
The laws have changed radically over the last 2+ years... and my DW is impacted by them. We were able to travel with additional prescriptions - even out of state - two years ago - as of last year - no more...

Doctor must see the patient EVERY month and can write no more than a 30 day script if it is medication on the 'list' of restricted... And call in is prohibited as well - must be a paper script...

While the target is the misuse and addictions of some of these meds - those caught in the web are often those that need it for quality of life...
For now we plan trips around the monthly Dr visit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:21 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Unfortunately a few bad apples and greed spoiled many aspects of healthcare. As GMC said certain scripts are only for 30 days, must be hand written, if you fall in this category you are out of luck! Even if you did get a doctor to break the law and write several post-dated scripts, you can not use them out of state. Insurance companies can't change or override state laws and guess who suffers in the end?
Old 08-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I'm guessing since the Dr wouldn't refill.. that the reality is they COULDN'T do it - for a restricted medication as SuperD mentioned...
The laws have changed radically over the last 2+ years... and my DW is impacted by them. We were able to travel with additional prescriptions - even out of state - two years ago - as of last year - no more...

Doctor must see the patient EVERY month and can write no more than a 30 day script if it is medication on the 'list' of restricted... And call in is prohibited as well - must be a paper script...

While the target is the misuse and addictions of some of these meds - those caught in the web are often those that need it for quality of life...
Maybe there's levels of restrictions? My father is on a "restricted" medicine that requires a written prescription but the script is for a 90 day supply with 1 refill and he just needs to see the doctor every 6 months.

Other scripts are for 90 days with 3 refills for an entire year's worth of medicine without seeing the doctor.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 AM   #10

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I'm also on restricted script meds and have been for over 4 years. PITA. Have to pick up script at Dr's. office only for a 28 day supply. Have had my Dr. right an extra amount for last couple months but traveling more than 1 month would be a real issue that would land me in ER if without the med. I use. We can all thank the FDA and other Fed. depts. for punishing all that need certain meds that we don't abuse for the few idiots that use them for "recreational" use. Recreational, a really stupid description of certain meds that are one's that will only work for us/those who are living with chronic pain conditions, mine brought to me/you from wounds from the military in Nam that 2 surgeries have actually made worse for me.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #11

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I hate to ask this...
Did you discuss this with him, before you hit the road?

My Missus is a transplant recipient, and I'm a Type I Diabetic. Keeping an adequate supply of our meds around; is more than a critical issue.
In the past: we've never had trouble getting his Office to get us what we need for extended trips...
Yup we have told our "Doctors" we would be traveling. It must have fallen on deaf ears. We have been with our "Dr's " for years. We are 2500 miles away and must be seen.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh22776 View Post
They can't refill without a new prescription which the Dr's won't write.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #13

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Find a new doctor!!! Not willing to refill needed medications while you are away from home is not the mark of a doctor who is concerned about his patients!!! I have called my doctor and he called in the refill to my home pharmacy which were then available by computer to my location.

Please note, a doctor can NOT refill a narcotic or similar medication to an out of state pharmacy, period, no exceptions!
We were told to find a new Dr at our new location! Hello, we are "traveling ". A new Dr as needed in SOMEWHERE, USA.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #14

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Call your insurance company asap! They will give you directions on how to proceed, if you are covered. The answer you will get will depend on your policy. Please report back on how this is handled.

If that fails, send me a pm.
I don't understand why to call our BSBS. This is a Dr issue, I think. Please explain is you will, thanks.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #15

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

We are full time travelers our medicines are not narcotics.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #16

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Unfortunately a few bad apples and greed spoiled many aspects of healthcare. As GMC said certain scripts are only for 30 days, must be hand written, if you fall in this category you are out of luck! Even if you did get a doctor to break the law and write several post-dated scripts, you can not use them out of state. Insurance companies can't change or override state laws and guess who suffers in the end?
We are simply traveling too long between DR visits.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #17

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I'm also on restricted script meds and have been for over 4 years. PITA. Have to pick up script at Dr's. office only for a 28 day supply. Have had my Dr. right an extra amount for last couple months but traveling more than 1 month would be a real issue that would land me in ER if without the med. I use. We can all thank the FDA and other Fed. depts. for punishing all that need certain meds that we don't abuse for the few idiots that use them for "recreational" use. Recreational, a really stupid description of certain meds that are one's that will only work for us/those who are living with chronic pain conditions, mine brought to me/you from wounds from the military in Nam that 2 surgeries have actually made worse for me.
I would like to take some SOB, that made it so difficult for us, out behind a barn and try to beat the stupid out of them. I too have chronic pain,but have been narcotic free for two years, my body and mind are as good as they can get, the drugs are horrible. Unfortunately I'll be back on them, someday.
Our issue now is how to travel when our Dr's won't refill our prescriptions without going back to Michigan for a visit.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Continued and consistent medical care while traveling requires some planning, if you have special medical needs, which it sounds like, you do. When my wife needed medical care and blood work weekly, we planned it out with her doctors and insurance. Though we were out of state, they set us up with a medical clinic and a lab that was within 30 miles of where we spent most of the summer. Seems to me you need to do the same with your doctors and insurance co.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We did the same, when my Missus was still on dialysis...
A facility was found near where we would be, and her Nephrologist even helped to arrange the appointment.
It pays to plan ahead... WAYYYY ahead!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
If they aren't narcotics/restricted meds I don't see what the issue is with your doctor.

Go to a local urgent care facility and have then write you a new script.