Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
We will be in 300 loop Dec. 10 to 15. Is nice to take Vegas there. I have learned to make reservations ahead of time each year. You can always modify or cancel.
Curious, what makes you think you will be in the 300 loop? Site assignments are not completed until just before you arrive. Even if you fax over a site request there are no guarantees.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #42

Model: Palazzo 37.4
THOR #7274
We got our 5 nights in FW over Christmas booked in premiere site..... 2018
Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Planning ahead: PRICELESS!!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #44

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
We just got back from a week at Ft Wilderness in our new Chateau 31E. This was our first time camping there. We were in the 1700 loop. We had a great trip. 5 days at the parks. We usually stay at Shades of Green, but wanted to try the Disney camping experience since we now own an RV. The campground was very nice. A little crowded (we typically camp in state parks), but we didn't spend a lot of time there anyway.

Some hightlights:
- Rode Flights of Passage 3 times and never waited long (1 rope drop and 2 FastPass)
- Rode Navi River Journey twice
- Ate at Ohana for the first time. Food was awesome, but pretty pricey. They charge adult price for a 10 year old, which is crazy since my son doesn't eat much.
- Weather was great except for the day we planned to go a water park, so we just relaxed that day.
- Trails End has great food, one of the best buffets at WDW. We went there once for dinner and once for breakfast.
- The campfire sing-a-long was fun.
- My son really enjoyed the Meadows pool. I really liked the hot tub after walking around the parks all day.
- I like the new Geyser Point Grill by the Wilderness Lodge. It's a nice place to sit near the water and get a drink and some good food.
- Ate at the Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios. Got in line about 10 minutes before they opened, which worked well since they filled up quickly. The shrimp w/ grits was amazing, the arepas were good but tiny, and the sliders were good (although the buns seemed kind of dry).
- The Magic Kingdom was extremely crowded for the fireworks. The worst I've experienced. The new Happily Ever After fireworks show is great, but my view was partly blocked by trees.
- We ate at Boma for the first time in several years. We really like the food there. Afterwards, we were wondering how to get from the Animal Kingdom Lodge back to Ft Wilderness when we walked by a bus labeled "Magical Express". The driver asked where we were going and took us directly to Ft Wilderness. That was awesome.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #45

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We go to Ft Wilderness about every other month since we have FL Resident Annual Passes. We'll be there Next weekend in fact.

I normally request either Loop 400 or 700. Those loops are pet friendly and are the closest pet friendly loops to the marina, restaurant, and trading post. It's just a short walk from there to the Settlement bus depot and marina.

Coming down from MA just stay on I-95S all the way to FL exit 260B (I-4). Then take I-4 W to Exit 67 (Epcot Center Drive). Follow Epcot Center Drive to the RH exit for World Drive. Stay on World Drive and you will come to the ticket booths for Magic Kingdom. Stay in the far right hand lane because after you go through the booth you will have an immediate Right Turn onto Vista Blvd. Follow Vista Blvd about a mile to the left turn into Fort Wilderness.

Also as soon as you get your Magic Bands be sure to log on (or establish an account on My Disney Experience). You can link all your Magic Bands for every person in your party to your Ft Wilderness confirmation number. after you do that go to the Fast Pass+ section of the My Disney Experience and schedule your fast passes for each day and each person. Scheduling Fast Passes well in advance guarantees you'll get the rides and times you want. Fast Passes can be hard to get as it gets closer to the holiday periods.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:24 PM   #46

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Directions

Coming down 95 you have options, but I-4 through Orlando is a nightmare and I only send people I don't like that way . You can take 95 to I-4, but exit I-4 at Route 417 (I think it is exit 101) and take 417 to exit 6. There will be signs to 436 and Disney. Follow 436 and the signs to Disney/Magic Kingdom. After the exit it is well marked, and as you get closer to the Magic Kingdom you will pick up signs for Ft Wilderness. As you see the Magic Kingdom parking /toll booth choose a lane to the right, but not the bus lane. You will take a right turn shortly after the parking/toll booth. Ft Wilderness will be on your left.
On paper it looks like 417 takes you out of the way, but I-4 is a mess with never-ending construction and narrowed lanes. Unless your timing is right the shorter I-4 route will have numerous traffic delays. My father in law swears by the 95 to I-4 to 417 connection to Disney.
I prefer taking 95 to the Beach Line (route 528) to 417. But it is a toll road, so unless you go online and order a SunPass sticker tolls are a pain. But the road is not as heavily traveled as I-4 and I have a toll sticker.
We are at Disney (it is my DH's happy place!) a lot as we go to Ft Wilderness and also have a DVC membership at the Beach Club.
Happy (and safe) travels.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #47

THOR #1287
My Disney Experience app is a must

PS: Set up a My Disney Experience account now and load in your confirmation number for your Ft Wilderness reservation. You will want to book restaurants and Fast Passes as soon as the window opens, I think the window for restaurants is open for you now.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #48

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It's pretty tough to find a "bad" ride in that magical place!
Ever been stuck on "It's a small world" when the ride goes down??? LoL

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #49

THOR #7853
Arrrv, we usually run the gauntlet on I-4 thru Orlando. Always a fun time.. Might try your route next time to see how it goes. Thanks.

<'))))>(
Old 10-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #50

THOR #7853
400, 500 ,600 or 700 loops for us. We have a few sites we request at booking. 50-50 if they are available when you get there, but always get in whichever loop we request.

<'))))>(
Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #51

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Thanks for all the info. I will begin on 95 but cut off at the Tapanzee before NYC. I'm not taking the RV across the GW Bridge and thru the city. Then have to go thru (beltway around) DC...NOT!! I'll ad 2 hrs to the trip but cut off on 81 south. First stop is in VA (8 hr drive) then on the road where we'll join back in to 95 from 26 in SC. Second stop is a bit south of that junction in SC (8 hr drive). That leves me a 4-5 hr drive to Ft Wilderness. I have been warned to avoid I-4 and the reinforcement from the consensus here seem the right choice. ArrrV I will look at your route closely as is sounds like an "uneventful" trip to the park.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #52

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Thanks for all the info. I will begin on 95 but cut off at the Tapanzee before NYC. I'm not taking the RV across the GW Bridge and thru the city. Then have to go thru (beltway around) DC...NOT!! I'll ad 2 hrs to the trip but cut off on 81 south. First stop is in VA (8 hr drive) then on the road where we'll join back in to 95 from 26 in SC. Second stop is a bit south of that junction in SC (8 hr drive). That leves me a 4-5 hr drive to Ft Wilderness. I have been warned to avoid I-4 and the reinforcement from the consensus here seem the right choice. ArrrV I will look at your route closely as is sounds like an "uneventful" trip to the park.
Florence RV park in SC just off of 95 used to be a good place to stay, haven’t been there in several years.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #53

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Coming down 95 you have options, but I-4 through Orlando is a nightmare and I only send people I don't like that way . You can take 95 to I-4, but exit I-4 at Route 417 (I think it is exit 101) and take 417 to exit 6. There will be signs to 436 and Disney. Follow 436 and the signs to Disney/Magic Kingdom. After the exit it is well marked, and as you get closer to the Magic Kingdom you will pick up signs for Ft Wilderness. As you see the Magic Kingdom parking /toll booth choose a lane to the right, but not the bus lane. You will take a right turn shortly after the parking/toll booth. Ft Wilderness will be on your left.
On paper it looks like 417 takes you out of the way, but I-4 is a mess with never-ending construction and narrowed lanes. Unless your timing is right the shorter I-4 route will have numerous traffic delays. My father in law swears by the 95 to I-4 to 417 connection to Disney.
I prefer taking 95 to the Beach Line (route 528) to 417. But it is a toll road, so unless you go online and order a SunPass sticker tolls are a pain. But the road is not as heavily traveled as I-4 and I have a toll sticker.
We are at Disney (it is my DH's happy place!) a lot as we go to Ft Wilderness and also have a DVC membership at the Beach Club.
Happy (and safe) travels.
AarV just reading thru this I believe you mean 536, 436 is further north east from Disney

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #54

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Map from 417 to Disney
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-25-12-47-05.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	7469  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the map!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:37 AM   #56

THOR #8180
As i reviewed the directions today on Google Maps I believe it is 536 but ArrrV's directions are dead-on. Took me right to Ft Wilderness and avoided the I-4 guntlet.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #57

THOR #8180
A closer look at the rt using FL-417 i see its a toll road...have to see about getting a sun pass and pre-load it for the tolls
Old 10-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #58

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
A closer look at the rt using FL-417 i see its a toll road...have to see about getting a sun pass and pre-load it for the tolls
I just pay the minor tolls and don't bother with sun pass. I like to see the different Hawaiian shirts some of the toll takers wear. But I'm not in a hurry either.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:53 PM   #59

THOR #1287
OOPS...it is 536

Sorry, it is 536. From exit 6, take 536 right to Disney.

You can go online and buy a SunPass windshield sticker for $4.95 and they will send it to you (even when you aren't lucky enough to live in the Sunshine state)--www.sunpass.com. You can cancel the account after you have finished being a Florida tourist, or you can keep it and come back again! No monthly service charge. At some point all these toll passes are supposed to work together, but not yet. Considering just the gas for the trip (and not the cost of Ft Wilderness and Disney tickets) $4.95 plus the same in tolls is better than waiting to pay at a tollbooth or waiting (and waiting, and waiting) in construction zone infested I-4 around Orlando. Just a thought...
Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #60

Model: Palazzo 37.4
THOR #7274
AS for tolls...get the Sunpass. The tolls are actually discounted with it. Also, most of the state is removing toll booths and use overhead cameras. If you get the toll bill by mail, the admin fees on top of the tolls are ridiculously expensive.

Get a Sunpass, and if you plan northeast and mid-atlantic travels look into EZPass as well. at some point (way into the future the way it looks) Sunpass and EZPass will combine systems.

Delaware E-ZPass - Where To Use E-ZPass