Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
National Park Service Senior Pass cost skyrockets

For you senior citizens (62 and older) out there, if you do not have a National Park Service Senior Pass you may want to consider getting one before August 28. On Aug 28 the Lifetime Senior Pass goes from 10.00 to 80.00. The current coast is 10.00 when purchased in person at a service center or 20.00 if ordered via on-line or mail. We took a drive to Yorktown today and got ours.

Attached is a list of places where the pass can be purchased in person.

PassIssuanceList.pdf

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
For you senior citizens (62 and older) out there, if you do not have a National Park Service Senior Pass you may want to consider getting one before August 28. On Aug 28 the Lifetime Senior Pass goes from 10.00 to 80.00. The current coast is 10.00 when purchased in person at a service center or 20.00 if ordered via on-line or mail. We took a drive to Yorktown today and got ours.

Attachment 6001

Yeah, it really does suck to be 61 and 9 months on 8/28......
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Even at $80 it is a bargain. You can spend that much by visiting as few as 3 national parks in Utah!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #6557
As I'm sure everyone knows, one pass covered everyone in the rig
Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
As I'm sure everyone knows, one pass covered everyone in the rig
True if it is a per auto entrance fee. If it is a per person entrance fee it is the pass holder plus 3 adults.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-23-2017, 12:53 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
At 10.00 you might be smart to get two. From what I understand if you listen it, or it is damaged it will cost 80.00 to replace it after 8/28
Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
At 10.00 you might be smart to get two. From what I understand if you listen it, or it is damaged it will cost 80.00 to replace it after 8/28
Your understanding is correct it will cost 80.00 to replace a lost pass after 8/28. That is the second reason why both my wife and I got them today.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
I have two. One in my wallet and one in the glove compartment. And even though one pass can cover others in the car you should get one for everyone who qualifies.
My wife had a lady come to her window in a park, alone in the car, and tried to use her husbands pass. When asked where the passholder was, she displayed the urn with his ashes. My wife had to explain that yes, this is a lifetime pass. When her husband expired, so did his pass. Rather than buy her own pass, she turned around and left.
Plan ahead folks, get the cheap pass. Spouses too.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 07-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Thank you. Lovely wife was 62 in July. We're going to Fort Pickens (Gulf Islands National Seashore) to get her pass. I've had one for a number of years. Yes, if a replacement is needed, $80 is still a bargain for what you get.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
National Park Service Senior Pass cost skyrockets

Quote:

Attachment 6001

I'm staying Michigan this month and have realized that the $80 Lifetime Senior Pass is dirt cheap. Compare it to the annual fee for individual and family park passes in the different states. Here in Michigan, being from out of state I am required to pay $9/day to park my toad and $9/day for my RV besides the camping fee. I opted for the annual passes - $32 for each vehicle plus camping fees. That's right $64. Money well spent as we have visited many state parks while here.
$80 is a big increase but still a great deal.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #11

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
My wife turned 62 on Aug. 5th, on the 7th I started calling around to find out who had any of the passes. The closest places to us were out, and the Core of Engineers would not issue a receipt like the NPS does. We were lucky to find one COE location that still had the passes about 2 1/2 hours from us. We drove to the R D Bailey Lake office and had to wait for about 20 minutes until the fellow that issues the passes to get back to the office. All in all it was a nice way to spend an afternoon and $20.00.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We had one pass, but now we both have our own. Have heard of some places being sold out, so suggest you call ahead to verify availability. They were selling fast at Acadia NP this summer, as they surely were at all locations.

They can be ordered online, too, with a shipping charge. Still a bargain, and yes, a bargain at $80, too! Tick, tock!!!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
We use the inter agency pass, still only $10 and good at all NP's, BLM,, ACOE, and NF CG's. Some areas of the country Day use fees are not covered. Never could see the need for a NP pass with Inter Agency Pass.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:

Attachment 6001
Got one online last night $20 - was going to post but you beat me

The Senior Pass is a lifetime pass available to United States citizens or permanent residents 62 years of age or older. The Pass can be used at over 2000 Federal recreation sites managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Senior Pass admits the Pass owner and any passengers traveling with him/her in a single non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas or the Pass owner and three additional adults where per-person fees are charged. The Senior Pass may also offer a discount on some expanded amenity fees, such as camping. Discounts offered by the Pass vary widely across the many different types of recreation sites. Pass owners are encouraged to check with sites they plan to visit before obtaining a Pass to verify that their Pass will be accepted. Anytime a Pass is used, photo identification will be requested to verify Pass ownership.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Went online yesterday and reserved a spot at the Douglas Dam Tailwaters Campground. Saved $27.00 with the pass, more than paid for both of the ones we purchased a couple of weeks ago.