Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2019, 02:02 AM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #15881
Monitor Upgrade

I decided that I could do better with the rearview camera view so I picked up a 10.1" monitor. It fit the recess on the dash perfectly. I drilled a half inch hole in the panel behind the monitor and ran my monitor and garmin wires behind the dash for a nice clean install. While I was in there, I went ahead and clipped the trigger wires for the left and right mirror cameras. Now I have a large, uninterrupted view of my tow vehicle at all times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	21087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5616.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	21088  

Old 10-26-2019, 02:40 AM   #122

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We think mynot recessing the outlets is a possible problem.
When I decide what else is goi g down there I may have to push them back like you did.
I have a fancy battery monitor I'm going to try fitting there.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #123

THOR #15881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We think mynot recessing the outlets is a possible problem.
When I decide what else is goi g down there I may have to push them back like you did.
I have a fancy battery monitor I'm going to try fitting there.
I was going to create some sort of faceplate to cover the opening until I saw how well it would fit in a recessed position. Just dumb luck on my part but I'm happy to have one less thing to stumble over.

Looking forward to seeing your fancy battery monitor installed.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #124

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,
Trying to look into a new 2020 Vegas 27.7. Found one on the lot just 15 miles from here, stopped to take a look and say hi. After a quick look, they wanted a talk. The offer was the MSRP of $124K+, but they would deal it to me at an $11K discount. I pointed out (and gave them the website) that 300 miles away they sell for $89K with one up in Ohio (about 425 miles away) for $83.4K. We thanked them for their time, took their cards and left.
It is too bad there is no real way to find out what one is worth! Then I remembered this thread and thought I'd ask here (rather than start a new thread) to see if others have found where to find out a reasonably accurate cost on a new RV, or how to cut thru the BS and get down to serious discussion on purchase.
Back in May of 2015 when we purchased our 2016 Vegas 24.1 to took better part of 5 weeks to get to the purchase price. I have nothing better to do with my free time, retirement is still over a year away, we have a great RV so no real rush (extended warranty runs till the end of May) and by then the 2021's will be out!
Any insight will be appreciated.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #125

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All,
Trying to look into a new 2020 Vegas 27.7. Found one on the lot just 15 miles from here, stopped to take a look and say hi. After a quick look, they wanted a talk. The offer was the MSRP of $124K+, but they would deal it to me at an $11K discount. I pointed out (and gave them the website) that 300 miles away they sell for $89K with one up in Ohio (about 425 miles away) for $83.4K. We thanked them for their time, took their cards and left.
It is too bad there is no real way to find out what one is worth! Then I remembered this thread and thought I'd ask here (rather than start a new thread) to see if others have found where to find out a reasonably accurate cost on a new RV, or how to cut thru the BS and get down to serious discussion on purchase.
Back in May of 2015 when we purchased our 2016 Vegas 24.1 to took better part of 5 weeks to get to the purchase price. I have nothing better to do with my free time, retirement is still over a year away, we have a great RV so no real rush (extended warranty runs till the end of May) and by then the 2021's will be out!
Any insight will be appreciated.

DocMike
35-40% off MSRP is a standard price.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #126

THOR #2142
Jeff,

Thanks. Our salesperson is still in his rookie year. Wow, 35-40% off MSRP makes the 9% offer was quite the low ball attempt...they really send in the new kid with an unrealistic offer.

DocMike

Old 10-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #127

THOR #13932
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/mem...albums209.html

A few pics of my lifted four wheel drive 24.1's underpinnings.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:28 AM   #128

THOR #13932
Working the front hitch.
Regular store bought front hitch won't fit because of the new leaf springs.
We used a hitch off of an s10 2dr blazer, narrowed 5 inches and flipped upside down.
Pics tomorrow when finished.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 AM   #129
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Jeff,

Thanks. Our salesperson is still in his rookie year. Wow, 35-40% off MSRP makes the 9% offer was quite the low ball attempt...they really send in the new kid with an unrealistic offer.

DocMike
Hey...I just saw your conversation regarding the new models of Axis...Have you looked at RV Trader? I googled RV Trader 2020 Axis motorhomes...and they have a selection of listings...all within the pricing of $80-$90K.
Have FUN looking again !!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #130

THOR #2142
VKB,
Will do. The DW and I have decided to look at pre-owned and with May 2020 as decision date (warranty ends on our 24.1) the 2020's will be showing up used and those still on the dealership lots next May will be "last year's model"!

DocMIke

Old 10-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #131
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
VKB,
Will do. The DW and I have decided to look at pre-owned and with May 2020 as decision date (warranty ends on our 24.1) the 2020's will be showing up used and those still on the dealership lots next May will be "last year's model"!

DocMIke
YES ! and...and another value of RV TRADER...you probably know this...We recently renewed our Insurance on the 2016 Axis...and before hand, I go to RV Trader to see what our unit is currently selling/asking price... Then negotiated our premium based on the current value of the motorhome.

Keep us posted on what you find ! Stay safe and warm...
we are at 32 this am with snow on the ground...and more headed our direction.....too early for this !!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #132

THOR #2142
K,
Thanks.

We will be heading to Swannanoa this weekend, lows 30-34 with highs 55-58.

DocMike

Old 10-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #133

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Jeff,

DocMike

You never know about dealers. We looked at a Newmar recently that had been on the lot for 120 days. The “sale price” was about 8% off MSRP. We talked for nearly an hour and never got them past 10%. Tried straight cash, significant borrowing, with and without extended warranty and they wouldn’t budge. Then tried on a unit they’d had on the lot for over 400 days and they wouldn’t go past 15%. Showed them an internet advertised price on the same coach that was 30% off and it made no difference. We were happy to walk and they made no effort to stop us. Apparently their business model relays on under educated well-to-do buyers and low volume! Sheesh!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:16 PM   #134

THOR #13932
15°f, minus9.5°c this morning is sunny Arizona.
Anyone else?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #135

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Lower 30's in the land of the losers, a little west of Houston.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #136

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
K,
Thanks.
We will be heading to Swannanoa this weekend, lows 30-34 with highs 55-58.
DocMike
I hope you gave yourself some time. There's so much to do and see it bogles the mind.

I can recommend a lot of things but for now, a ride through Marion while you're there. It's a quaint town in the foothills. I used to live there. Take 70E out towards Morganton and try to make it to Lake James while you're there. Here is about as much info on the place as you'll find anywhere: https://www.facebook.com/groups/200385480017996/

If you're an automobile or motorcycle enthusiast, head east out of Swannanoa and pick up 80. This is best done from the Blue Ridge. There's also a lot of info about this road on the net. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take anything longer than 25ft on that road or you will NEVER make some of the curves. Some of them are so tight they seem to almost seem to come back on top of themselves. If you have a motorcycle endorsement, you can rent bikes in Little Switzerland.

Northwest of you near the Tennessee line, you'll find Dragon's Tail. Another really fun road to be on (last pic): https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of-the-dragon/

Have a GREAT time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diamondback.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	21179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamondback-Hwy226A.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	21180  

Name:	71145446_10214903293597198_2107083386022526976_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	21181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190830_133646.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	21182  

Name:	IMG_20190922_121854.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	21186   Click image for larger version

Name:	PANO_20190922_122542.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	21191  

Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #137

THOR #12189
Quote:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/mem...albums209.html

A few pics of my lifted four wheel drive 24.1's underpinnings.
That's freaking AWESOME! When you say lifted, is that permanent? How much do you feel the change in your higher center of gravity?
Old 10-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #138

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
That's freaking AWESOME! When you say lifted, is that permanent? How much do you feel the change in your higher center of gravity?
It's permanent.
It handles so much better.
We now play a silly game called
'guess what's passing us.'
We honestly can't tell a semi from a prius except for some buffering about 40ft behind the truck... And you have to being paying attention to realize the movement.

The height seems to be countered by the 4x4 weight and the leaf front springs. I have noticed a considerable change in my seeing better over the car beside me and into the next lanes past that.

It now doesn't grab ruts, it doesn't drift, it's not blown around. Driveways and berms no longer scare us. We'd be hard pressed to drag anywhere on almost any paved transition.

We're considering thinking about thinking about contemplating trimming the lower rear valance and bumper which will give us a better angle of descent.

Since we're a 4x4 now, we can cut holes and trim and increase fender well size... Stuff no one would do to a regular rv.

We'll never offroad with it. We did this because of festival parking, soft berms, muddy driveways and snow. NOTHING gets stuck easier than a dually. Now we'll stand a chance. I've held off on the front and rear E-lockers for now. We'll see how it does before I spend that money.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0721191632f.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	21185  
Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #139

THOR #12189
Quote:
It's permanent.
It handles so much better.
We now play a silly game called
'guess what's passing us.'
We honestly can't tell a semi from a prius except for some buffering about 40ft behind the truck... And you have to being paying attention to realize the movement.

The height seems to be countered by the 4x4 weight and the leaf front springs. I have noticed a considerable change in my seeing better over the car beside me and into the next lanes past that.

It now doesn't grab ruts, it doesn't drift, it's not blown around. Driveways and berms no longer scare us. We'd be hard pressed to drag anywhere on almost any paved transition.

We're considering thinking about thinking about contemplating trimming the lower rear valance and bumper which will give us a better angle of descent.

Since we're a 4x4 now, we can cut holes and trim and increase fender well size... Stuff no one would do to a regular rv.

We'll never offroad with it. We did this because of festival parking, soft berms, muddy driveways and snow. NOTHING gets stuck easier than a dually. Now we'll stand a chance. I've held off on the front and rear E-lockers for now. We'll see how it does before I spend that money.
Sweet. Very nice. Nice work too. Have you come across that post (gmtechguy or something like that?) where he did the rim and tire swap to taller tires? I'll post a link it if not. Air bags may get you higher off the ground in tough spots. I just don't know how that would work with leaf v. coil springs.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #140

THOR #13932
I read the thread and the thread about the lifted unit and his drive from Phoenix to California and read the thread where the guy removed the stripes and reversed the front wheels.
They contributed to my decision-making by discounting my fear of the lift part of the conversion.