Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #19097
What clubs are worth joining??

AAA? Good Sam? Others... What are worth joining if I plan to travel most of the country in the next year?

Old 06-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

But we do belong to Good Sam, and the FMCA...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1591545091
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grouchomarx1-2x.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24096  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I can't answer this one as we only belong to two "clubs": KOA and Harvest Hosts. Both are used as stops along the way. KOA's are pretty good as they all are about the same so you know what you're going to get even if you have to make an emergency overnight stop for whatever reason.

Harvest Hosts are for a bit more relaxed type of travel. Stop early enjoy the stop, hang with the hosts, etc.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First define what you mean by clubs. Are you looking for discounted rates on RV parks, are you looking for RV roadside assistance, are you looking for clubs that have chapters that rally together? Every one of these categories has numerous options with some being better than others.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #5

THOR #19097
Good one Bob! Thanks all!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #6

THOR #19097
EA37TS - clubs that offer discounts or perks that actually have some value and not just “5% off at this gas station” type of clubs. Camping discounts especially. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-n-Marty View Post
Good one Bob! Thanks all!
I'm here all week. Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waiter...
Old 06-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-n-Marty View Post
EA37TS - clubs that offer discounts or perks that actually have some value and not just “5% off at this gas station” type of clubs. Camping discounts especially. Thanks!
For park discounts we use (in order by useage)

FMCA (multi use/purpose)
Good Sam
Escapees
KOA
Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it really depends on 'how' you expect to overnight, meaning, are you looking for every night's stop to be at a 'resort', with pool and amenities for the kids and such, or are you going to be mainly just looking to 'park' for the night with electricity?

PassportAmerica is a great 'membership' that gives you HALF off all their parks, and there are MANY, MANY of them around the country. You can find night stops at $10 and $15 in some areas, and half off the 'normal' resort prices for even higher-end parks that normally I'd never stop for.

Good Sam and some others basically give you a 'discount', like AARP and the Military, but these are simply a small amount off of sometimes overpriced places to just stop for the night.

There are limitations to both, as every park doesn't give discounts for GoodSam and others, and every PassportAmerica park can limit when they provide the HALF off discount, such as during weekdays only, or not offered during peak seasons, and some for only a single night, while others allow it to apply for many consecutive nights, etc.

We found that our 'around the country' tour back in 2014 the PassportAmerica made WAY more financial sense for us. They have a terrific app, and because there are so many parks under the PassportAmerica umbrella, you have one just about anywhere and everywhere you go, with rare exception.k

By the way, in our 5 1/2 years and over 105,000 miles along the way, we've found that some of the BEST and financially low-cost parks are city parks, county parks, or regional parks, where there might not be much 'advertising' for them, otherwise. While they are designed to provide camping and RVing for locals, they are open to everyone. We've even found some that are FREE! You just have to really 'look' at google maps and the area you are traveling to and zoom in to find these. Sometimes you just find them accidentally!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #10

THOR #19097
Wow it’s great how helpful you all are! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2020, 04:03 AM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
It all depends on how you are going to travel. Passport America is a no brainer for $44 a year for 1/2 camping. After 4 years of full timing I did a TT zone pass as I was on the West Coast. And camped about 3 months in the system, so it well paid for it’s self.
Campgrounds have weekly and monthly rates which are usually a low price. Do you need amenities or just basic FHU? There is not a one membership fits all. I belong to:
1. Passport America
2. Escapees, which also offers discounts and access to there parks that you have to be a member.
3. GoodSams, going to drop it, but it pays for it’s self in a short period of time.
4. I became an Elk member as the offer great locations at a very reasonable price.
5 There are even places that offer free camping with hook ups.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:05 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it really depends on 'how' you expect to overnight, meaning, are you looking for every night's stop to be at a 'resort', with pool and amenities for the kids and such, or are you going to be mainly just looking to 'park' for the night with electricity?

PassportAmerica is a great 'membership' that gives you HALF off all their parks, and there are MANY, MANY of them around the country. You can find night stops at $10 and $15 in some areas, and half off the 'normal' resort prices for even higher-end parks that normally I'd never stop for.

Good Sam and some others basically give you a 'discount', like AARP and the Military, but these are simply a small amount off of sometimes overpriced places to just stop for the night.

There are limitations to both, as every park doesn't give discounts for GoodSam and others, and every PassportAmerica park can limit when they provide the HALF off discount, such as during weekdays only, or not offered during peak seasons, and some for only a single night, while others allow it to apply for many consecutive nights, etc.

We found that our 'around the country' tour back in 2014 the PassportAmerica made WAY more financial sense for us. They have a terrific app, and because there are so many parks under the PassportAmerica umbrella, you have one just about anywhere and everywhere you go, with rare exception.k

By the way, in our 5 1/2 years and over 105,000 miles along the way, we've found that some of the BEST and financially low-cost parks are city parks, county parks, or regional parks, where there might not be much 'advertising' for them, otherwise. While they are designed to provide camping and RVing for locals, they are open to everyone. We've even found some that are FREE! You just have to really 'look' at google maps and the area you are traveling to and zoom in to find these. Sometimes you just find them accidentally!
Thanks for reminding me about city parks. I love those.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #14

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Harvest Host
Old 06-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
We enjoyed Resort Parks International (RPI) as they are affiliated with a lot of other membership clubs and will give a discount. You will need to have a home base park before you can join. We used them when we went full time for 3 1/2 years. Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
It all depends on how you are going to travel. Passport America is a no brainer for $44 a year for 1/2 camping. After 4 years of full timing I did a TT zone pass as I was on the West Coast. And camped about 3 months in the system, so it well paid for it’s self.
Campgrounds have weekly and monthly rates which are usually a low price. Do you need amenities or just basic FHU? There is not a one membership fits all. I belong to:
1. Passport America
2. Escapees, which also offers discounts and access to there parks that you have to be a member.
3. GoodSams, going to drop it, but it pays for it’s self in a short period of time.
4. I became an Elk member as the offer great locations at a very reasonable price.
5 There are even places that offer free camping with hook ups.

Don't forget Moose lodges. I've stayed at many for a night or two and they are usually free. At everyone I've stayed when I've introduced my self they have given a free round or two of drinks. Many also have some very good meals at a great price. The Pensacola Moose has a Friday night prime rib dinner that is out of this world. It's open to the public for dinner.

I also joined the VFW. They have some campgrounds.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I currently have a KOA Membership and Thousand Trails Membership. KOA offers a minor discount but adds points that you can use to offset the price on future stays. The Thousand Trails I have is on the West Coast. I use it on a monthly basis to go out for quick 2-3 night trips. I have a Good Sam Membership to buy items and they also get a small camping discount at some campsites.

Paul
Old 06-14-2020, 03:14 AM   #18
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
You can join an Elks Lodge. Most have RV slots with power. My dad's friends did this and enjoyed many nights at them. Not fancy, but a place to stay for free. Some are in major cities where you my want to visit as well.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
You can join an Elks Lodge. Most have RV slots with power. My dad's friends did this and enjoyed many nights at them. Not fancy, but a place to stay for free. Some are in major cities where you my want to visit as well.
What Lodges offered hook-ups for free? I have stayed at about 40 lodges so far and all had recommendations for the nightly donation. Which is there rate, but because it is a donation, I would think they do not pay taxes on it. Not all lodges have RV parking and they ones that do run from just a lot to full hook-ups,
Old 06-15-2020, 03:57 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds 27R
State: Alabama
THOR #17652
Hi there! We belong to Good Sam and Harvet Hosts. Harvest Hosts works out well for one night stays. You can book them short notice, but you can only stay for one night. Once you pay for the annual membership ( about $80 I think) you can stay at a host site for free. WAY better than stopping along the highway at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel for a break. Worth a gander at their web site for more details. Good luck and happy travels!