Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Newbie Loving the RV Life!

Hi All,

I have always loved camping but still having conveniences. I camped in my 21 foot boat and had a great time, but the wife went once or twice and said nyet. (She's actually a huge chummer, e.g. gets seasick easily.) We started watching the tv show GoRVing and it the varieties of RV's was outstanding. My wife stated she dreamed of traveling in an RV and seeing the country.

I was visiting various RV dealers in the area by myself and asked her if she wanted to come and always turned me down. Anyway, every salesperson would listen very little and somehow we would be looking at huge Class A's. Finally she said OK and off we went to a local RV dealer who was featured on GoRVing and looked like a very nice place. Luckily we bumped into a salesman who actually did listen. Whenever I started talking he would cease and really listen intently to what I or the wife was saying.

We wound up purchasing a Thor Vegas 24.1. It has a ton of features and accoutrements (yes this a boon to the "World's Angriest Man", Jack Rebney. If you don't know his story, do yourself a favor and take some time to learn. It is hilarious and tragic.) It is the perfect size for us two empty nesters and somebody who isn't comfortable driving large vehicles.

Long story short, we just completed camping for one night at a full service very large RV park and two nights at a local state park and the wife wants me to make reservations at tons of parks. Since my middle name is "Go" and her's is "No", this is quite a departure from our normal ways and has given us a new goal in our retirement besides avoiding killing each other, LOL.

...Loving The RV Life... or LTRVL (Hey maybe I can work that into a name for our RV.)

PS -- When can we remove the Newbie tag?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Welcome to the neighborhood, and the forum, and good luck in all your travels. The Newbie distinction is kind of like "rookie". YOU can't remove it, but everybody else will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sure sounds as if the two of you have really found a GREAT new adventure to share!
So... where are you heading next?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It sure sounds as if the two of you have really found a GREAT new adventure to share!
So... where are you heading next?
Lake Manatee State Park, followed by Oscar Scherer, then on to Myakka River State Park, which really is a very large (5th largest in Florida at 37,000 acres) and very interesting state park. We plan on doing all 55 state parks in Florida that have RV camping.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope you know that we'll be expecting to see some pictures from ALL of them...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #6

State: Wisconsin
THOR #10872
Welcome to the RV life. We full-time in a Vegas 24.1 and love it. Perfect size and floor plan for two adults. Enjoy your travels!

www.offourrockerrv.com
Off Our Rocker RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! Sounds like you have like you are already having fun, keep up the good work.

I’m sure Jamie or someone will chime in and give you the link to Ed’s manual, it is well written and will be a valuable resource for you!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #8

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
Congrats on your new Vegas and welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks on here with tons of information.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

If you haven't already make sure you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas manual:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats and welcome to the forum!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:01 AM   #11

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations and welcome.

If you haven't already make sure you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas manual:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
Lol, Jamie I can always count on you to post the link to Ed’s manual! I can never remember the link and I think it’s a Great resource for new owners. Thank you for always being there to help!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Lol, Jamie I can always count on you to post the link to Ed’s manual! I can never remember the link and I think it’s a Great resource for new owners. Thank you for always being there to help!!!
Took me a few days as I was actually out using our 24.1 instead of reading the forums

Finding the link is easy once you know where it is:
From the main page scroll down to the "Thor Tech Forms" section, then click on the Motorhome Tech Topics forum, its the 2nd sticky at the top.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Took me a few days as I was actually out using our 24.1 instead of reading the forums

Finding the link is easy once you know where it is:
From the main page scroll down to the "Thor Tech Forms" section, then click on the Motorhome Tech Topics forum, its the 2nd sticky at the top.
Looks easy to find but it’s a lot easier to just wait on you to post the link!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #14

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Looks easy to find but it’s a lot easier to just wait on you to post the link!!!
Thanks for the link. After I downloaded it, I sent it to Walgreen's and asked them to print out a copy and spiral bound it. Came out pretty nice for about $20. Yes, it's online, but sometimes a hard copy is worth it's weight in paper, yuk, yuk.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:27 AM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10329
Welcome!

Welcome to the "club"! We just got our Thor Freedom Elite 24' late last year. Have had it out 7 times so far. Sticking to PA state parks due to the fact that I'm still working, but moving farther afield later this year. For us, the RV was my dream, but my wife somewhat reluctantly agreed to purchase. Now, similar to your wife, she's starting to get the urge to explore and starting to want to learn all the detail and planning that go along with it. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #11928
Unhappy

Welcome! We also are brand new Thor 24.1 owners. Took delivery of our Axis a few weeks ago. Will be making taking it out on our first trial run in a couple of weeks. We had a 22' BT Cruiser prior, so hopefully, driving this one won't be too much different. We really like the features and layout.

Only problem I'm having so far is trying to chase down all the tv wiring. Wanted to connect the living room and outside tv's through a splitter to my sat box, but can't locate HDMI cable termination from external TV!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Florida passoport guide for state parks.

RV Michael and anyone else interested in FL state parks-
We bought this for my wife and she loves it- appeals to the collector to her- you get a stamp from every park, and has great write-ups.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/Passports
Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #18

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
Welcome! We also are brand new Thor 24.1 owners. Took delivery of our Axis a few weeks ago. Will be making taking it out on our first trial run in a couple of weeks. We had a 22' BT Cruiser prior, so hopefully, driving this one won't be too much different. We really like the features and layout.

Only problem I'm having so far is trying to chase down all the tv wiring. Wanted to connect the living room and outside tv's through a splitter to my sat box, but can't locate HDMI cable termination from external TV!
I had the same problem. There should be a loose HDMI cable on each TV. I connected the one over the door in the living room to a device that allows me to connect to my tablet or cell phone.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #19

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
RV Michael and anyone else interested in FL state parks-
We bought this for my wife and she loves it- appeals to the collector to her- you get a stamp from every park, and has great write-ups.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/Passports
Just got back from Myakka State Park. Wow! What a park. It is HUGE! Saw about 20 to 25 deer pretty much everywhere. Also saw about 5 or 6 alligators, lots of rabbits and an armadillo crossing the road <insert joke here>.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Armadillo crossing the road? Rare!! Like the joke "Once there were these two Irishmen walking out of a bar...."

The End
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote