Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Leaving soda/beer in outdoor kitchen fridge while driving?

I have been reluctant to leave anything in the outdoor kitchen fridge while driving for fear that it will open and bang against the outdoor kitchen door. Also the potential sending all the contents on the ground when I open the outdoor kitchen once we get to the campsite or home is on my mind too.

That said, I want to leave beer/soda in then so that when we set up it will be cold and ready (I run the generator while driving) and it leaves one less thing to do at set-up tear down.

What has been your experience with this? Do any of you leave items in the outdoor kitchen fridge while driving? Is there a decent solution that I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Jody
Yorktown, VA
2015 Hurricane 32N, 2015 Kia Optima, 2016 Master Tow
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Jody,

I have been using an outdoor fridge for over three years on my prior class c and now with the challenger. I lay glass beer bottles (Corona or Micro Brews) flat on the shelves and have never had one break or open.

Bottom line is that it boils down to the prep and packing. I make sure there is enough beer or water bottles loaded to prevent them from shifting around.

One word of caution is the outdoor refrigerator on my Challenger was set too cold by Thor and it is a pain adjusting the temp because the control is on the outside back surface of the fridge. May sure your temp is set right to prevent freezing of the contents.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Hurricane 32N
State: Illinois
THOR #2257
I had to adjust the temp on my outdoor fridge, too. I set it colder and the cans started to freeze. So, I removed the inside wood panel by the bed again and set it a tad bit warmer. It is fine now.

I did have a problem with the door opening while traveling. A bit of duct tape fixed that!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
My Hurricane was not cold enough! If you are worried about the door opening enroute, mine did. A simple fix was a bungee cord from the rear of the fridge to the opposite side of the front door. It works superb!

Things will still shift and be careful when opening it at the campground - but the fridge door will not come open.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
My Hurricane was not cold enough! If you are worried about the door opening enroute, mine did. A simple fix was a bungee cord from the rear of the fridge to the opposite side of the front door. It works superb!

Things will still shift and be careful when opening it at the campground - but the fridge door will not come open.
Bungee cord, perfect...thanks!

Jody
Yorktown, VA
2015 Hurricane 32N, 2015 Kia Optima, 2016 Master Tow
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #6

Model: 2016 Hurricane 32N
State: Illinois
THOR #2257
Quote:

Great Idea! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
My Hurricane was not cold enough! If you are worried about the door opening enroute, mine did.....
Your interior Norcold refrigerator should have a locking latch that prevents it from opening en route. It shouldn't need a bungee. I'd get that fixed.

The exterior kitchen refrigerators are like a dorm room fridge with nothing more than the magnetic door seal to keep them closed. Those can benefit from a bungee or latch.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:20 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
I use the tension bars to keep items on the shelf. I also added one of those child buckle type latches on the door. I think they are "Safety First", found at Walmart, etc.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:37 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I went out and looked at my outdoor fridge and the way it is mounted in the outside kitchen there is no way I could use a bungee cord.

I also measured the distance from the front of the fridge door to the area where the hatch door will be when closed and it is 2 1/2 inches maximum. I believe either a pool noodle laid in front of the fridge door or a piece of 3 x 3 high density foam in the same place will keep the door from opening. Either of these 2 items will compress and the hatch cover is closed.

As a note, on my class c with outdoor kitchen, Forest River installed a rubber bumper on the hatch cover which took up the space between the cover and fridge door when the kitchen door was closed. A bumper could probably be installed using a two part epoxy.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:26 AM   #10

Model: Tiffin wayfarer 2bw
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8609
I think you will find that the outside fridge is on a circuit that is serviced by the inverter, no need to run the genny while underway except for A/C.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:39 AM   #11

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I use the tension bars to keep items on the shelf. I also added one of those child buckle type latches on the door. I think they are "Safety First", found at Walmart, etc.
x2. You can get a variety of different tension rods on Amazon and lock the beer in place. I use them regularly and haven't lost one yet.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #12

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I use a piece of Velcro to hold the door closed while in route.
Half temped to do a latch but the Velcro works good.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I purchased a couple of child safety locks from Amazon. Inexpensive, sticks on with good adhesive, easy to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	6341
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
Not only did my drinks fall out, but the fridge was stuck open and defrosted causing water damage to the bottom of the cabinets.

Here is what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 PM   #15

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
x2. You can get a variety of different tension rods on Amazon and lock the beer in place. I use them regularly and haven't lost one yet.

X3 anything from a six pack to an 18 pack just slide the tension bar closer so the cans cannot slide around.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #16

THOR #5196
Spring loaded adjustable curtain rods from Wal Mart work great, I use them in both refrigerators.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 AM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwht View Post

I did have a problem with the door opening while traveling. A bit of duct tape fixed that!
I have to say that this is my favorite suggested fix. Simple, effective and, if you must go further, potentially elegant. Yes, as all know, it comes in different patterns now. Select your fav, trim it, shape it, VOILA! Hey, change patterns with the seasons. I'm a simple utilitarian so just use the gray stuff. Pack that fridge full, slap on the tape and ride!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Why not just leave them in their original packaging (cut to fit: of course!), and put them on a shelf?
They don't need to ride in the door!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #19

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I have to say that this is my favorite suggested fix. Simple, effective and, if you must go further, potentially elegant. Yes, as all know, it comes in different patterns now. Select your fav, trim it, shape it, VOILA! Hey, change patterns with the seasons. I'm a simple utilitarian so just use the gray stuff. Pack that fridge full, slap on the tape and ride!
Problem with duct tape is the sticky residue you get, especially when it's hot. Painters tape would hold the fridge closed and not leave a mess.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 AM   #20
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
Wouldn’t it be easier to just drink the beer the night before you drive?
I’m new to this, so my advice is limited. However I have much practice draining beer fridges.