Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31Y
State: Virginia
THOR #16198
Outfitting the kitchen

Afternoon.

My husband and I just bought our first RV. I have three questions.

1. It has come with an Induction Stovetop and to gas burners. I am trying to figure out what cookware to buy. Any suggestions?

2. What type of dishes and glasses do you recommend?

3. I have been told to buy some cold refrigerator bag so it will keep everything cooler. Does anyone recommend these?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
I got my first RV last year. I dashed out to Wal-mart straight away. Lots of today’s cookware are induction safe, but make sure you read the labels.

For dishware Corelle can’t be beat. I went with double walled steel glasses.

Key factor in my choices was compact and dual use. Small size pots and pans and they had to have lids.

I also added a 3-quart Instapot and a compact coffee maker that takes capsules.

Silverware was a limited set augmented with good kitchen knives.

Have fun shopping!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

THOR #16198
Thank you PAtrailtrimmer. I had not thought about WalMart. Looks like I will be going that way in the next few weeks before our first trip.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinello View Post
Afternoon.

1. It has come with an Induction Stovetop and to gas burners. I am trying to figure out what cookware to buy. Any suggestions?

3. I have been told to buy some cold refrigerator bag so it will keep everything cooler. Does anyone recommend these?
You don't mention what type of RV you purchased. The type of RV can influence how a kitchen is outfitted based on the size of the kitchen space and storage. Also, does the unit have a residential fridge or an RV style fridge.

Example, on our coach we have an outdoor kitchen and thereby the interior stove has never been used for cooking. Our pots and pans must be able to be used on the grill.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #5

THOR #16198
Dstankov

Sorry I am really new to RVing. It is a Thor chateau 31Y.

The refrigerator is a norcold 6 cu ft. We do not have an outdoor kitchen. Just the one inside.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Dstankov

The refrigerator is a norcold 6 cu ft. We do not have an outdoor kitchen. Just the one inside.
Welcome..
A lot of personal preference.. I try to minimize breakables as the roads we drive aren’t always the best... lol
My list would include:
A couple of non stick fry pans that are induction ready with lids
Small pot set also induction ready
Small baking pans
Microwave safe food storage containers for storing/reheating

I also carry a couple of cast iron pans/pots... can be used on any heat source from open fire to grill to induction....
We carry a gas grill and portable induction burner for cooking outside.

Of course depends how much you want to cook...
And can always add things as you go...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #7

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Another thought, a Blackstone grill that connects to the RV propane tank. But any gas grill will do. I find I do a lot of cooking on the grill in addition to using the kitchen.

Camping and cooking go so well together.

I combined an over night at Wal-Mart with shopping. Nothing like having a superstore in you front yard.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations, and welcome to your greatest adventure ever!

As far as the advice about the Blackstone griddle....

You'll need to buy an adapter, and a propane hose with quick connections; in order to use it with your RV's propane hookup...
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1565993008

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1565993008
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0704191608b_resized.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	19678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackstone Conversion 04.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	19679  

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
[QUOTE=Carinello;198183]Afternoon.

Welcome Carinello. VERY important, induction cooktops require pots and pans that are magnetic. Cooper pans are great, cast iron works even if ceramic coated. The true test to know if a pan is usable on induction cooktop is to place a magnet on it and see if it sticks. DW carries a small refrigerator magnet in her purse to use when shopping for new cookware. If the magnet doesn't stick, food ain't gonna cook. The gas burners can use about any metal pot. I personally don't use gas except for the Blackstone, Weber and hot water heater. I can't help you with refrigerator issue, I have a residential. But there are folks here that will give you great advise for using the RV fridge. Keep asking questions and you will get answers. Cool thing about a new RV is all the shopping, making it YOURS! Happy camping.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Afternoon.

We found a cookware set at Walmart that contained a griddle, frying pan, sauce pans and a deep pot along with covers that were specifically made for an induction cooktop.
The cookware must be made of a magnetic material (Stainless Steel and Aluminum are not magnetic).
I do 90% of our meals using the induction cooktop.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Welcome. As others have said dual purpose items are great.
My favorite are a set of 5 nesting stainless steel bowls, each with a snap lid. Mixing bowls, food prep and food storage, all in a compact set.

We have enough silverware, plates, cups for a 3 day weekend. Dishes go in the sink until back home for the dishwasher. Who wants to wash dishes when you are away relaxing.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
17,000 miles and we have never so much as opened the stove top or ever ran water from the kitchen faucet.
Microwave and frozen food along with plastic utensils. Some food bought, some precooked at home.

We're pretty easy to get along with and believe life is as easy as you make it be.

Just an alternative offered, nothing else.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Induction cookware with the metal heat sink will work best

All good quality cookware is coded/stamped on the bottom for acceptable heat sources
Old 08-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
I thing with induction cooktop you can use anything as long as the bottom is flat so it "hugs" the surface. I bought some melamine dishes from Amazon and we have a collection of both glass and plastic glasses we use (my husband won't drink his Scotch from a plastic glass, lol). I also have one of the metal wine cooler glasses I use when I have wine.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #15

THOR #14806
Quote:
Afternoon.

Hi, I take a toaster, coffee pot, steel pans, two burner hot plate, crock pot, plastic cups (disposable or Dollar store cups). Dollar store has melamine plates etc, but I take some Corelle also. Folding dish drainer. I also purchased a non smoke grill for inside or out.

Most of the kitchen tools from Dollar store. Good knife from home. Flashlights, toilet paper and tank deodorant. I also bought an ice machine as freezer space is small. I have a 26 ft Thor Siesta. Perfect for 2.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #16

THOR #15947
Kitchen Ware

Quote:
Afternoon.

---------
Hi, We have a new Vegas Thor 25.6

Here are my recommendations to outfit your kitchen.

Circulon 77881 10-Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They work on both your induction hob and your propane burner. The glass lids make it easy to check on food cooking.
Food slides out of the pans making for easy clean up.

Dishes - Agree with the other person who said Corelle. I went with square shaped dishes and bowls and they fit
well in the overhead storage unit.

Panasonic NB-G110P Toaster oven - I thought this might be a luxury but it is indispensable! Great for toast, bruschetta, pizza, roasting, etc. Stores easily in the mirrored cupboard.

Joseph and Joseph Nesting Bowls - https://www.amazon.com/Joseph-40085-...96555019&psc=1

OXO Storage containers - https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...FKH4DFY3FDZ3F3 - They come in various sizes and fit well in the pantry.

Sterilite 03221106 Ultra Seal 8.3 Cup Food Storage Container, Clear Lid and Base with Tangerine Accents, 6-Pack (take 3 on the road and save 3 for home), https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Marinade, microwave, use for serving, fridge, and freezer).

Keurig Coffee Maker

Hope this helps!
Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Dstankov

I think most of us who have been RVing for many years will agree...we go full speed ahead trying to buy any and everything we can think of...then all of a sudden you don't have room for clothing etc.
for us...good quality paper plates were a must..I got rid of the stoneware I thought I had to have many years ago...we do have plastic and stainless placesettings..depending on what we are eating...a few glasses for those drinks that don't taste right in plastic/styro ...a Kuerig or the like is good if you two can agree on coffee...we cannot so I have a single serve Kuerig and Ron has a Mr. Coffee pot ! Toaster and Crock Pot .. Bowl for Salad...Tongs/Knives/spatula/big spoon/etc...This year we bought a small Air Fryer Dash is the brand name...and a Dash round griddle with heated top...because I cannot get French fries correct in the Microwave/Convection oven...nor pizza...and when we are on long trips, we like this sort of thing. We have a small cast iron gas grill which stows away in the lower area...and I have a couple small cheap pans which I never use...and a set of 3 of those disposable aluminum woven vegetable trays for grilling outside...they work well if you are using the campground firepit...I like to think that things are clean out there . ha !

We always bring a case of water bottles..and replenish as necessary..and two or more gallon bottles of tap water from home to make coffee and water for the cat. Some things just taste better with home water. KC (cat) knows the difference...

Bathroom towels...2 sets...RV parks have laundrys … 1 set of sheets for each bed … works for us .. hats...clothing …

Bathroom … all the stuff you think you need on a daily basis..

Lastly...I begin making a list about 2 weeks before we leave home .. items I want to bring...camera, etc...charge cords, computer if we are out a long time...tablet...etc...and all food and clothing.
Lots more things I have not mentioned...use that list...you can always scratch things off if you don't want to bring them....

and...remember...there is a WalMart or Target or Dollar Store in just about every town !

have fun !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wholeheartedly agree: it's VERY easy to buy more stuff than you'll ever need...

But that's what yard sales are for!

With time: you learn how to cut down your list of "stuff that needs to go", by probably 30% or more.
Nut the trick is; which 30% stays on the porch?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:23 AM   #19

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
You’ll find that the burners on your stove are smaller than at home, so don’t buy any huge pots or pans...I find 8” max fits fine. We are very conscious of not overloading our RV (there will be a sticker in the cab area that tells you how many pounds of passengers and cargo you can carry...it will be less than you think) so I avoid cast iron and the like. I got a bit carried away with melamine plates and then realized I didn’t have anything that could go in the microwave! Never taken a refrigerator bag; once the fridge has reached operating temperature - which will be faster if you put something cold in it before you leave - it tends to stay there fine.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 AM   #20
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygirlscats View Post
You’ll find that the burners on your stove are smaller than at home, so don’t buy any huge pots or pans...I find 8” max fits fine. We are very conscious of not overloading our RV (there will be a sticker in the cab area that tells you how many pounds of passengers and cargo you can carry...it will be less than you think) so I avoid cast iron and the like. I got a bit carried away with melamine plates and then realized I didn’t have anything that could go in the microwave! Never taken a refrigerator bag; once the fridge has reached operating temperature - which will be faster if you put something cold in it before you leave - it tends to stay there fine.
Good info...regarding the refrigerator...Ron plugs in our Axis shore power at home a day before we are ready to leave and we turn on the refrigerator...in doing so, the frig is cold..the freezer is cold and we have no issues with transferring items directly from home to the Axis. If you have an appropriate outlet in your garage it works to plug in early.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote