Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Just to weigh in about barking dogs and safety of leaving dogs in RV. First, our dogs are trained not to bark at everyone that goes by. We play music from,"In a Dog's Ear" which is supposed to relax them and they aren't aware of every sound that is made in the campground. We also put tracking collars on our dogs so that we can track them with our Iphones. The collars will also send us an alert message if the RV starts getting too hot. We also purchased an RV with 2 A/C's and an automatic generator start should the power go out. We also make it point to get to know our neighbors and let them know when we leave and expect to get back. This is a great way to get feedback on how the dogs behaved while you were gone.

That being said, the perfect campground is one that does not allow KIDS!!! I'm sorry but I am fed up with kids cutting thru my campsite on bikes, scooters etc. At one campground, there was a kid, about 14 who thought it was cute to see how close he could come to you with his bike while you were walking on the road.

My experience has been that pet parents are more watchful and considerate than parents of kids. Too many parents believe because they are at a campground, they don't have to watch their kids. It is amazing to see what the kids are doing with no parent in sight.

I'm sure all of the parents are irresponsible, but it is just like pet parents, it only takes a few ignorant ones to spoil it for everyone.

Fred

Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #22

THOR #2366
We have camped at 4 Paws Kingdom a total of 5 times. It is a great place for dog owners. Some of the sites can be a little tight for big rigs when the vegetation is in full bloom. The owners, Brigit and Miek are fantastic!! They used to work entertaining on cruise ships and Miek is a really great chef! The other fantastic thing about 4 Paws is the seasonal site people are all super friendly and make you feel like one of the group. The dog parks are huge and there is fresh water spigots at all of them. The pond is totally fenced and our dogs really enjoy swimming there. The campground is located off the beaten path and the setup is a little different. You have to drive thru the campground to get to the office. The bathrooms are the cleanest we have every seen and the dog bath house has both a floor and elevated wash station. Cell phone reception is not the greatest and cable tv is limited. It is a great place to take the dogs and the events are definitely worth attending. Do go to all the pot lucks, breakfasts, etc and you won't regret it.

Fred
Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Kathy spent about 15 minutes looking at 4 Paws Kingdom Campground's web site and another 20 minutes talking to the folks on the phone. We now have reservations for Columbus Day weekend, which so happens to be the weekend of their Oktoberfest festivities. Beer and Brats for all

FYI - for holidays and special events they require a minimum 2 night stay, the reservation must be paid in advance and there is no cancellation.

We weren't able to get a deluxe site with pet pen but we did get a premium pull through site. I take good pics and provide an update during and after the visit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #24

THOR #2366
While at 4 Paws Kingdom, Chimney Rock and Lake Lure are close by. I highly recommend the pontoon boat tour of Lake Lure. You get to see where they filmed some of the scenes from Dirty Dancing. Last of the Mohecians had scenes filmed at Chimney Rock. 4 Paws Kingdom will also walk your dog while you are gone for a nominal fee. Brigit, one of the owners is also a dog trainer and you can schedule private lessons. Oktoberfest is great, we were there for the first one last year. You will have a great time.

Fred
Old 09-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #1469
Fred,

Thanks for the info on the campground.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

THOR #2366
We were at the Hershey RV recently and I picked up a brochure from Cherry Hill Park campground. The reps told me they have a dog park and were quick to point out all of the amenities. However, a lady next to me pulled me aside and told me the sites were super close together and she would never camp there again. Anyone else every stay there?

Fred
Old 09-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Cherry Hill Park near DC?
We love that campground. Just stayed there last August--our 3rd visit.

If you are looking for a woodsy campground with tons of space between the sites then that isn't it.
Here is our campsite at Cherry Hill Park:

That is site 941 (check out their map here: Cherry Hill Map (jpg)).

The sites (at least that one) are about 20' wide or so--wide enough that you can extend your awning and not hit your neighbor. Our site was a premium site which meant that it had the brick paved area with a table and BBQ.

They have their own youtube channel where they've published some drone videos about the park:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #28

THOR #2366
Thank you so much for the info!!!! It is great to have someone you was actually there provide feedback.

Fred
Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #1469
A word of note is that at this time of year Cherry Hill gets busy on weekends when the Redskins are in town.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #30

THOR #2366
Dave,

Thanks for the heads up. I might head North instead for our shakedown cruise.

Would love to go to 4 Paws but don't have the dinghy set up yet and it is too far to go without a run around vehicle.

Fred
Old 09-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #1469
Fred,

I decided I'm not towing when we go to 4 Paws. Our daughter works for Enterprise so we are going to exercise the rental option for that trip. I've done twice and it worked well both trips. Bridgit at 4 Paws verified that Enterprise picks up at the campground.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #32

THOR #2366
I would do the same but it is about 11 hours for us to get to 4 Paws. I think that is a little too far for a shakedown on a new RV without a dinghy. We were at 4 Paws this year for Memorial Day weekend with our 5th wheel.

We usually break up the trip to 4 Paws and stay at Natural Bridge or Shenandoah Valley Campground. We also stayed at Dixie Caverns and Fort Lee.

I think that you will probably be able to make it in one day.

Fred
Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 AM   #33

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I find the dog noise offences worst at National campgrounds. In some almost ghetto like.. while I support the idea of equal admittance the idea of equal personal etiquette is as equally as important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I agree there are some "dog owners" that need to have some respect.

Congratulations, you pushed my A##hole button

Now a game of word substitution: Replace the following words

dogs = children
bark = scream, whine, yell, cry
owners = parents

Same applies. In fact I would be willing to bet that campgrounds have more problems with children that trash and vandalize facilities and other peoples rigs than they have with an RV owner's dogs.

This is not to mention the drunken adults sitting around campfires at all hours of the night talking so loud they can be heard 10 spots over while their dog is laying there peacefully sleeping.

I will also go out on a limb and say that most dog owners have more respect for fellow campers than parents.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:27 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I did mention I have a dog.,..
yes, this comment is real, the dogs who bark at 6am are real, now, Judge Judy will rule! no really, just be respect full and try and control your furry friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I agree there are some "dog owners" that need to have some respect.

Congratulations, you pushed my A##hole button

Now a game of word substitution: Replace the following words

dogs = children
bark = scream, whine, yell, cry
owners = parents

Same applies. In fact I would be willing to bet that campgrounds have more problems with children that trash and vandalize facilities and other peoples rigs than they have with an RV owner's dogs.

This is not to mention the drunken adults sitting around campfires at all hours of the night talking so loud they can be heard 10 spots over while their dog is laying there peacefully sleeping.

I will also go out on a limb and say that most dog owners have more respect for fellow campers than parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
RustyJC,
My guess is that the reason they always turn into an argument between pet lovers and pet haters (your words -not petef's) is due to the very small percentage of pet family's that are not fun to be around. Just last night I was awakened at 12:30 am by a dog barking. Does that mean I don't want to be around pets? No, because three families in our group this weekend have dogs that I just love. They are well behaved and friendly and seldom bark. This is opposed to the RV several sites down that pens their poor dogs up for hours at a time (4-5 hours) and go off site seeing while their poor dog barks the entire time. My thoughts are that all parks should be pet friendly but that their are some pet owners that should not be pet owners. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread but you also hit a hot button when you accused those of us who don't like to hear a dog barking for four hours of being pet haters. That is not always the case.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #35

THOR #2366
Here is an idea. What would happen if we held non-responsible parents, both pet and human accountable? For instance, if a dog is barking, it should be reported to the campground office for action. Also, if a child is throwing a ball thru you campsite and no parent is to be found, it should be reported.
My problem is, most campgrounds have a clause that if your dog is noisy or aggressive, you will be forced to leave. I would love to see the same standard applied to children.
I being the shy person that I am, have told pet parents about the behavior of their dog. To my astonishment, most pet parents are receptive to reports about their pet, apologize and take steps to prevent it from happening again.
However, it is quite the opposite when a child's parent is approached, providing you can find them. Most of the people are very defensive and make a remark to the effect that you don't like kids, etc. I retired from PA Dept. of Corrections, I have seen to many kids whose parents simply excused irresponsible behavior, grow up and be convicted of a crime.

Fred
Old 10-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #1469
Weekend at 4 Paws

Spent the long weekend at 4 Paws Kingdom Campground. Arrived on Friday and left on Tuesday. Great place. The Oktoberfest celebration was well done (for being outside Munich) and lots of activities for the dogs.

My site was smaller (narrower) than most, however, when we reserved we got the last remaining site.

Very enjoyable.

Entering the Kingdom
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Paws EntranceJPG.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	932

Pic of the site

Name:	4 Paws site.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	933

Name:	4 Paws site 2.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	934

Exiting the Kingdom

Name:	4 Paws Exit.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	935

2 issues of note:

First, one of the roads going to the campground has a weight restriction and the RV GPS will constantly chirp an RV weight violation. There is a 13K weight limit on route 221 further up the road.

Second, at this time of year the Hickory nuts (seed pods) will bomb your RV and car. Busted the windshield on the rental car while we were driving back from Chimney Rock. Luckily I was renting the total cost of the rental was less that a replacement windshield had I been driving my car.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #37

THOR #2366
Glad you had a good time. The view at Chimney Rock must have been spectacular. I have suggested that they cut out the camp sites a little more but the owners are concerned with privacy. Some of the sites are tight with a bigger unit and the roads can also be a little tight. However, the positives at Four Paws far out weight the few negatives. One of our favorite times there is the Thanksgiving Weekend.

Fred
Old 10-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
Glad you had a good time. The view at Chimney Rock must have been spectacular. I have suggested that they cut out the camp sites a little more but the owners are concerned with privacy. Some of the sites are tight with a bigger unit and the roads can also be a little tight. However, the positives at Four Paws far out weight the few negatives. One of our favorite times there is the Thanksgiving Weekend.

Fred
Even though our site was narrow, it was about the same size as the site we had at Fort Wilderness earlier this year. The issue with our site however was the fire pit was under the awning so we couldn't build a fire. We had, I believe, the only site (11) that had a dug in fire pit. We did, after asking permission, squat on the next door site, which was empty Sunday night, to build a fire and relax.

We are planning a trip to Charleston, SC between Thanksgiving and Christmas but we are thinking about planning another trip to 4 Paws for Memorial Day.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
We take our Aussie Shep mix/mutt all the time...she is about 35 lbs, and a cat, they both stay in the RV when we are not there...When I have a good wifi signal, I have an app that turns my iPad or iPhone into a security camera...you can set it to motion detection or just activate it from another device. I have checked in on the pets many times to see how they are acting. As far as safety goes, never really thought about that all that much....I see leaving them in the RV alone for a few hours no more of a risk than leaving them alone at home in the brick and sticks house much different.
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #40

THOR #2366
Just came back from a week at Watkins Glen KOA. The park is big rig friendly and was very clean. They have a dog park, about 50' by 50'. I would guess that 95% of the people there this past week had dogs. Most of them were well behaved and there were only a couple of people with kids. We stayed in the resort section which is away from the playgrounds. The big attraction is the Watkins Glen area. At this time of the year, only 1 trail is closed to dogs on a leash and that is the Gorge trail at Watkins Glen State Park. We had the dogs on 2 trails that paralleled the Gorge as well as several other State Parks in the Senca Lake and Cayuga Lake area. The pups are still tired from all of the exploring. We would definitely go back to this campground.

Fred